pdf library.

Shriphani

Hi,
I am looking for a pdf library that will give me a list of pages where
new chapters start. Can someone point me to such a module ?
Regards,
Shriphani P.

Benjamin

Hi,
I am looking for a pdf library that will give me a list of pages where
new chapters start. Can someone point me to such a module ?
ReportLab (ReportLab) might help.

Piet van Oostrum

Shriphani said:
S> I tried pyPdf for this and decided to get the pagelinks. The trouble
S> is that I don't know how to determine whether a particular page is the
S> first page of a chapter. Can someone tell me how to do this ?

AFAIK PDF doesn't have the concept of "Chapter". If the document has an
outline, you could try to use the first level of that hierarchy as the
chapter starting points. But you don't have a guarantee that they really
are chapters.

Shriphani

AFAIK PDF doesn't have the concept of "Chapter". If the document has an
outline, you could try to use the first level of that hierarchy as the
chapter starting points. But you don't have a guarantee that they really
are chapters.

How would a pdf to html conversion work ? I've seen Google's search
engine do it loads of times. Just that running a 500odd page ebook
through one of those scripts might not be such a good idea.

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

How would a pdf to html conversion work ? I've seen Google's search
engine do it loads of times. Just that running a 500odd page ebook
through one of those scripts might not be such a good idea.

Heuristics? Neither PDF nor HTML know "chapters". So it might be
guesswork or just in your head.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Shriphani

Heuristics? Neither PDF nor HTML know "chapters". So it might be
guesswork or just in your head.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

I could parse the html and check for the words "unit" or "chapter" at
the beginning of a page. I am using pdftohtml on Debian and it seems
to be generating the html versions of pdfs quite fast. I am yet to run
a 500 page pdf through it though.
Regards,
Shriphani