    implement this in java?

    Thank you very much.

    Kevin
    KDawg44, Jan 21, 2008

  2. KDawg44

    Christian Guest

    KDawg44 schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to lead a discussion on an interesting distributed computing
    > topic. I would like to do something about a Peer to Peer architecture
    > and an implementation of this in Java.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestions on this? I have used the Chord
    > architecture with the OpenChord implementation. What is a real-world
    > used P2P architecture? Where can I find information on how to
    > implement this in java?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Kevin

    JXTA is a java p2p library that seems to evolve.. though nothing fancy.

    Chord is rather bad compared to what is possible today, may be better
    than CAN, but still it is from the Stone-age of p2p.
    Kademlia is more often used today .. and based on Plaxton routing. It is
    rather widely used in a lot of programs today. If you google for it
    there seem to be some projects going on trying to create a java library
    for it.. that might be a starting point.

    As suggestion:
    How about trying to implement some more modern or even simpler networks..

    Distance Halfing for example is very simple and the graph it builds has
    a smaller degree than Kademlia.
    P-Grid, Skip-Net and 3-nuts .. would be some more interesting p2p
    networks that allow searching for prefixes .. not just for hashvalues.

    Sometimes it might be interesting not just to implement some
    searchstructure .. but may be implement some download utility... though
    beating bittorrent might be a bit hard ..

    How about writing a plugin to Azureus that uses Kademlia or some alike
    network to search for files? (and exchange tokens)...
    Possibly also handle resharing requests automatically over this network?

    Christian
    Christian, Jan 21, 2008

  3. KDawg44

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:56:41 -0800 (PST), KDawg44 <>

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/peertopeer.html
    --
    Roedy Green, Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary, http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 21, 2008
  4. KDawg44

    Christian Guest

    Roedy Green schrieb:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:56:41 -0800 (PST), KDawg44 <>
    >
    >> I need to lead a discussion on an interesting distributed computing
    >> topic. I would like to do something about a Peer to Peer architecture
    >> and an implementation of this in Java.

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/peertopeer.html

    sry Roedy but I think that is not very informative. Even stating UDP
    being more dominant in p2p than TCP might not be an easy claim.

    May be better would be something like: Peer-to-peer is an architecture
    opposing to client-server, where each computer is a peer. Services are
    not provided from a server to clients, instead all peers are working
    together to provide services to each other participating peer. Benefit
    of this is as number of peers that want service rise also the number of
    peers that provide service rise, therefore the system scales very well.

    Christian
    Christian, Jan 22, 2008