percentage of JS-blind browsers

Wÿrm

Therefore use JS as you feel fit, but at the same time learn how to get love
from SE

If you rely on JavaScript links to keep google PR on one page you might be
some time in future in for a NASTY surprise because new googlebot (HTTP 1.1
capable so not hogging so much BW when spider site that support gzip. Bit
slower bot than before but goes deeper in pages.) seems to read/recognize
JavaScript to some extent Maybe google does "florida update" this year
too... ;)

Joel Shepherd

aa said:
As I explained above well-spidering has little to do with hight rating.

Of course. On the other hand, I know that the most common entry point to
my site from Google searches is a page two-clicks off the home page.
Getting a high rating is going to be difficult if the spider can't reach
the page at all.

Sam Hughes

This seems to be very popular word in here for people use it
excessively and obviously enjoy its sound.
At first I thought that this is how people clear their throats - is
this the case?

No, it's just something people use to make themselves feel important.

Andrew Urquhart

*Sam Hughes* wrote:
[plonk]
No, it's just something people use to make themselves feel important.

Don't read between the lines words that aren't there.

jake

aa said:
Andrew Urquhart said:

For the second time you refer me to this URL as if it is a Bible and
whatever is written there should be obeyed without thinking.

Are you aware that outside this NG there is a wide spread opinion that
computer programmer is not a trade, but a diagnosys?
And many people here seem to bend over backwards to prove this.

I, however always give people a benefit of doubt and hope that I deal with
childish naivity which will disappear with the age, rather then with mature
stupidity, which is for life.

OK, let's talk layman terms.
As we have just established, SE on the whole and Google in particular are
interested to index all your site.
Here your and Google's interests coinside and you enjoy reading the Google
manual and even quote it to your likes.
But this is where your and Google's interests part.
Your interest is to get the top rating.
Is Google interested to give you the top rating?
Of course not. They do not have that many top ranks to award everyone who
memorises their manual.
If you blindly follow Google's manual, your site will be indexed indeed down
to the most insignificant page and then will be placed in a pile of hundreds
of similar sites. Google is happy. Google's customers are happy. Who is
unhappy? Your employer. But who cares!

This seems to be very popular word in here for people use it excessively and
obviously enjoy its sound.
At first I thought that this is how people clear their throats - is this the
case?
No, it's the unofficial Usenet way of saying "I've lost the argument and
I give up".

regards.

SpaceGirl

Mark said:
And not loaded for anyone without images.

Likely to be a fractionally small percent. Not really important (unless
we're talking about accessibility, which we're not).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Neal

No, it's the unofficial Usenet way of saying "I've lost the argument and
I give up".

Actually, it means the poster has given up on *you* and is simply telling
you and the other posters that they wil no longer be seeing the posts by
the person.

This implies neither the value of the poster nor the lack of value. It's a
purely subjective call.

Don't read more into it than "this person has chosen to not follow my
posts". I have plonked people for arguing a point with no merit (to me). I
have plonked addresses which yield only nuisance posts (off-topic, etc.).
I have plonked posters who have offered threats to me. (Seriously.)

My only motivation for plonking someone is to ensure I never see their
posts and feel compelled to reply, because past attempts to reply have
left me unhappy. I'm not here to be unhappy. I'm here on my free time. I
choose with whom I will associate.

I plonk for selfish purposes, not to deliver a message. I suspect this is
true of others as well. I only indicate it to tell other posters I won't
be following these posts, so feel free to take up the cause if you like.

Neal

Likely to be a fractionally small percent. Not really important (unless
we're talking about accessibility, which we're not).

But it will muck up the JS hit results if done that way. A user with
Javascript enabled but not accessing that image will not be counted.

Simply put, most hit counters count something else other than what they
purport. Just know what you're really counting.

aa

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Since you are immune to good advice, I will leave you to stew in your
own juices.

Excuse me, what was the good advice? To stew in you juices?

aa

Kris said:
That would be quite undoable, wouldn't it? Or should we assume that you
think you can count browsers on one hand?

Kris, you cannot just cut in the middle of the discussion ignoring the
context which spans across several previous messages.

As you probably noticed that my ideoligy is to ignore DIY browsers or
unorthodox visitors who like to live in the last sentury and switch off
acheivements of civilisation in thier browsers. I therefore do check just in
three browsers. Wrong. In two. I ignore Netscape because to make something
work in Netscape means bending a W3C complient code.

My opponents are trying to prove that every customer is of great importance
and one should learn to write HTML which is compatible with every browser.
But at the same time they make risky statement that they do not care which
user agent are used. Obvious flaw in ligic. See my point?

Daniel R. Tobias

aa said:
allowing Google to index ALL you site following non-JS menu will not
garantee high rating. Actually it is the other way round.

That's a straw man if I ever saw one... who in this message thread has
ever claimed that following *any* strategy will "guarantee" a high
Google rating? Anybody who says that is an idiot.
The very expression "SE to index you site" shows lack of undestanding how it
works. You do not want SE to index you whole site.

I don't know about others, but I certainly do... I get lots of hits to
the various pages of my sites from people typing in queries in search
engines that happen to be relevant to the content of that page, not
all of which are queries that I actually anticipated in advance. I
consider that a good thing; I get hits to my site, and visitors get
relevant information.
You want SE to index certain pages only, which you carefully prepare and
sumbit to SE.

None of my pages are contrived to "spamdex" the search engines; I get
plenty of hits from them nevertheless.

Examples:
Query: "mail format" -- my Dan's Mail Format Site is 1st place.

Query: "top posting" -- 4th place is my Dan's Mail Format Site page on
the subject of top posting (of e-mail and newsgroups); a page buried
within the site that's relevant to the particular query.

Query: "web tips" -- My Dan's Web Tips site is 3rd place.

Query: "user agent strings" -- An appropriate page in my Web Tips site
is 8th place.

Query: "tiffany" -- my site about the '80s singer of that name is 3rd
place.

So I get hits both to the front pages of my sites and to deep links,
depending on the appropriateness for a given query.

aa

Daniel R. Tobias said:
"aa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Anybody who says that is an idiot.

It looke like the only argument all my opponents here can offer.

Regarding references to your website - I never said that people using
non-JS manu are not seen by SE. I never said that websites which are not SE
aware are not seen by SEs.
Of cause they are indexed and therefore seen.
We are talking about JS manus and SEs and your comments do not contribute
anything to the subject

aa

If you rely on JavaScript links to keep google PR on one page you might be
some time in future in for a NASTY surprise because new googlebot (HTTP 1.1
capable so not hogging so much BW when spider site that support gzip.

Thanks, Wÿrm for your help. You very well answered to my opponents who
advise against JS on the grounds that it is not supported by SEs. So
actually I am in for a PLEASENT surprise, am I not?

Thought it is not likely as I do not write websites which lasts for decades.
This is rf and, what is his name, that chap from Australia who is trying to
seduce girles here in this NG, who preach making websites which should be
compatible with browsers developed 10 years ago.

aa

Joel Shepherd said:
I know that the most common entry point to
my site from Google searches is a page two-clicks off the home page.

This just indicated that the site have a room for optimisation for SE
Getting a high rating is going to be difficult if the spider can't reach
the page at all.

Relaying on spiders for getiing rating is overoptimistic gambling.

aa

Thanks you everybody for your consultation on plonk - I wish you were
equaly keen to answer technical queries.
So this is a way to say loudly "From now on I am ignoring you, I do not read
your messages, I do not answer your posts"
The most fanny is that all those who plonked me are still here. Like those
teenage girls who are trying to get boy's attention loudly saying that they
ignore boys. And then expect boys to chase them.

A person who wants to ignore someone, would not inform the whole world about
that. He just quietly ignore.
I guess this is a tool devised for especially nervous people to releive
their emotions. Like rf and brusue were dreaming here about tearing off my
balls or urination on me. For them repeating "plonk" must be like
experiencing orgasm.

BTW the japaneeses have been using this outlet for emotions by placing the
dummies of managers so that eployees could hit them.

Another BTW is that when someone declares that he/her is going to ignore
someone it means only that he/she will be reading every post of their enemy
very carefully and either to spit into the screen, or reply dispite all the
plonks. Perhaps under different nickname.
BTW, I believe that rf and brusue is the same person hiding behind two
handles - posts signed by these two have identical styles, identical
knowleadge, identical vocabulary (they are champions of "****" occurences in
their posts) identical inclination for smartarseness, 24x7x365 online and
have amasing coincedence of views on every subject - an old trick.

Sam Hughes

BTW, I believe that rf and brusue is the same person hiding behind two
handles - posts signed by these two have identical styles, identical
knowleadge, identical vocabulary (they are champions of "****"
occurences in their posts) identical inclination for smartarseness,
24x7x365 online and have amasing coincedence of views on every subject
- an old trick.

You are wrong.

Joel Shepherd

aa said:
the page at all.

Relaying on spiders for getiing rating is overoptimistic gambling.

Sure. Do you think my statement indicated disagreement? There's the
spider and there's the food it eats. I was talking about the food. Were
you?