    Yours

    Jaj
    , Jan 26, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > We have a program that uses JNI to call down to some native components
    > (native dll [ours] using jdk1.4 and 1.5).
    >
    > Is there any way that we can find out how much processor load the
    > JNI-native dll is taking up (windows xp)?
    >
    > Currently perfmon etc only shows "java" which includes the native, is
    > there any way that you can see how much the native part is taking up of
    > the total processor load?
    >
    > Thank you in advance,
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Jaj

    Applications and their various threads consume CPU resources, not DLLs
    or other such resources. So perfmon reports correctly that "java" is
    consuming CPU.

    Instead, what you want to look for is profiling of the application, so
    that you can find out where it's spending its time. There are some
    profiling facilities with Java, though whether they're useful when you
    have JNI code involved I can't say.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Steve W. Jackson, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> We have a program that uses JNI to call down to some native components
    >> (native dll [ours] using jdk1.4 and 1.5).
    >>
    >> Is there any way that we can find out how much processor load the
    >> JNI-native dll is taking up (windows xp)?
    >>
    >> Currently perfmon etc only shows "java" which includes the native, is
    >> there any way that you can see how much the native part is taking up of
    >> the total processor load?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance,
    >>
    >> Yours
    >>
    >> Jaj

    > Applications and their various threads consume CPU resources, not DLLs
    > or other such resources. So perfmon reports correctly that "java" is
    > consuming CPU.
    >
    > Instead, what you want to look for is profiling of the application, so
    > that you can find out where it's spending its time. There are some
    > profiling facilities with Java, though whether they're useful when you
    > have JNI code involved I can't say.

    If you can't find a profiling tool that works well with JNI, and decide
    to write your own, Java 1.5 added something called JVMTI that may help out.
    See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jan 26, 2006

    , Jan 26, 2006