performance in java

jaj_developer

All,

We have a program that uses JNI to call down to some native components
(native dll [ours] using jdk1.4 and 1.5).

Is there any way that we can find out how much processor load the
JNI-native dll is taking up (windows xp)?

Currently perfmon etc only shows "java" which includes the native, is
there any way that you can see how much the native part is taking up of
the total processor load?

Thank you in advance,

Yours

Jaj

Steve W. Jackson

All,

We have a program that uses JNI to call down to some native components
(native dll [ours] using jdk1.4 and 1.5).

Is there any way that we can find out how much processor load the
JNI-native dll is taking up (windows xp)?

Currently perfmon etc only shows "java" which includes the native, is
there any way that you can see how much the native part is taking up of
the total processor load?

Thank you in advance,

Yours

Jaj

Applications and their various threads consume CPU resources, not DLLs
or other such resources. So perfmon reports correctly that "java" is
consuming CPU.

Instead, what you want to look for is profiling of the application, so
that you can find out where it's spending its time. There are some
profiling facilities with Java, though whether they're useful when you
have JNI code involved I can't say.

= Steve =

Oliver Wong

Steve W. Jackson said:
[...]

If you can't find a profiling tool that works well with JNI, and decide
to write your own, Java 1.5 added something called JVMTI that may help out.
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/

- Oliver