Performance questions

Guest

Hi;

Got a couple of performance questions.

1) My app is pre-compiled but when I bounce IIS and then go to a page for
the first time, it takes a couple of seconds to get that page. Subsequent
hits are fast. Why?

2) Even after hitting all pages involved, if I logout and then go to login
again - it takes 5 - 10 seconds. The login page uses the standard login
control and the ASP.NET membership classes so it's not my code at all. Any
ideas why it's slow?

3) I put Trace.Write("enter FindAllGlobal"); in my non ASP code so it's
using System.Diagnostics.Trace. This does not show up in the trace.axd
details at all. How can I get that in there too?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Regarding on the question you mentioned, here are some of my understanding:

1) My app is pre-compiled but when I bounce IIS and then go to a page for
the first time, it takes a couple of seconds to get that page. Subsequent
hits are fast. Why?
==========================
How did you precompile your web application, full mode(non-updatable) or
partial mode(updatable)? For partial precompile, the ASP.NET runtime still
need to do a slim precompile to merge the aspx and the class in the
pregenerated assembly. Also, even if you fully precompile the site, you
should still take the JIT compile into account.

2) Even after hitting all pages involved, if I logout and then go to login
again - it takes 5 - 10 seconds. The login page uses the standard login
control and the ASP.NET membership classes so it's not my code at all. Any
ideas why it's slow?
==============================
This seems a bit unexpected. Can you repro the behavior through a very
simple forms authentication secured web project?

3) I put Trace.Write("enter FindAllGlobal"); in my non ASP code so it's
using System.Diagnostics.Trace. This does not show up in the trace.axd
details at all. How can I get that in there too?
============================

..NET framework 2.0 does provide means for you to do redirection between
"Diagnostics Trace" and ASP.NET Trace. Here is a good web article mentioned
the steps to do so:

#Tracing Enhancements in ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.extremeexperts.com/Net/Articles/TracingEnhancementsinASPNET2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Guest

Hi;

1) I use WebDeployment and have it set to "NOT allow to be updatable",
"merge all pages and control outputs to a single assembly", APTCA. Should
this take time to run the first time? And if so, is there a way in IIS to
tell it to load and JIT compile everything?

2) I will try to create a sample.

3) perfect - thanks

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net
http://www.windwardreports.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Dave,

there is no built-in means to make the entire ASP.NET site JIT compiled,
you may need to programmatically visit all those pages so as to make them
JIT compiled. For the "merge all pages and control outputs to a single
assembly", I don¡¯t think this is the cause of the slow performance.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Any further progress on this issue? Please feel free to post here if there
is anything else we can help.