    64-bit computer, am I better off with 64-bit, or better off running 32-
    bit Perl on everything? I'm looking to use Perl on Windows systems for
    administration purposes. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
    snorble, Feb 3, 2012

  2. In article
    <>,
    snorble <> wrote:

    > When I have used Python 64-bit I have run into problems (third party
    > libraries not working, etc). So I just use Python 32-bit on everything
    > and have no problems. Are there any similar problems with Perl? On a
    > 64-bit computer, am I better off with 64-bit, or better off running 32-
    > bit Perl on everything? I'm looking to use Perl on Windows systems for
    > administration purposes. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

    I've always heard that a 64-bit executable can't load 32-bit shared
    libraries. I may be wrong with that in MacOS in that 10.6 (Snow
    Leopard) is 32-bit but can run 64-bit executables on a suitable
    processor. Windows 7 has two flavors--32-bit and 64-bit. The drivers
    have to be the same but I think programs don't matter as much unless you
    attempt to mix 32 and 64-bit libraries.

    Mixing compiled shared libraries is the problem. I don't think this
    problem is only with Python. But I could be wrong.

    Michael Vilain, Feb 7, 2012