Can 32-bit and 64-bit Python coexist in the same computer?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andy, Oct 26, 2010.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi guys!

    I got a new laptop computer which came with the 64-bit version of
    Windows 7. I installed the 64-bit versions of Python and a few other
    libraries and wrote a few Python programs right there. If I copy the
    Python scripts to a 32-bit computer, it runs flawlessly. But in the
    future I may still need to distribute my compiled programs to people
    who use 32-bit Windows and it seems that neither PyInstaller nor
    py2exe can cross compile a 32-bit application from this 64-bit
    computer.

    So ugly as it sounds, I'm considering installing in parallel the 32-
    bit version of Python on this same computer. Is there anything I need
    to know or a better way to achieve this instead of having a double
    Python installation?

    By the way, I use Python 2.6, so it would be [Python 2.6.x 32-bit] and
    [Python 2.6.x 64-bit] on the same computer.

    Thanks!
    Andy

    Andy, Oct 26, 2010

  2. Andy

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi guys!
    >
    > I got a new laptop computer which came with the 64-bit version of
    > Windows 7. I installed the 64-bit versions of Python and a few other
    > libraries and wrote a few Python programs right there. If I copy the
    > Python scripts to a 32-bit computer, it runs flawlessly. But in the
    > future I may still need to distribute my compiled programs to people
    > who use 32-bit Windows and it seems that neither PyInstaller nor
    > py2exe can cross compile a 32-bit application from this 64-bit
    > computer.

    A better way may be to have everything as a source package which "auto
    compiles" during installation, then you can use an universal package.

    > So ugly as it sounds, I'm considering installing in parallel the 32-
    > bit version of Python on this same computer. Is there anything I need
    > to know or a better way to achieve this instead of having a double
    > Python installation?

    This will work, you just need to have two different paths to the installations
    and of course you will need to install packages for both of them. It works
    kind in the same way as you would have 2.6 and 3 installed on the same time.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Oct 27, 2010