perl 5.8.1, Mac OS, and locales

Jim Anderson

I don't know if this is a perl issue or a Mac OS issue. I just
installed perl5.8.1 and I getting the following error msgs each time I
run any perl script:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale setting:
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

I ran perl -V:d_setlocale and, in addition to the above warnings, got
d_setlocale='define';

The system locale info is in /usr/share/locale.

Any idea what's going on?

Jon Bell

I don't know if this is a perl issue or a Mac OS issue. I just
installed perl5.8.1 and I getting the following error msgs each time I
run any perl script:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale setting:
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

It's a Mac OS X issue. See

<http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html>.

Steve Lidie

Jim Anderson said:
I don't know if this is a perl issue or a Mac OS issue. I just
installed perl5.8.1 and I getting the following error msgs each time I
run any perl script:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale setting:
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US"

I ran perl -V:d_setlocale and, in addition to the above warnings, got
d_setlocale='define';

The system locale info is in /usr/share/locale.

Any idea what's going on?

No ;), but a fix ia to unset the environment variable LANG. For
bash/sh and the likes:

EXPORT LANG=