Perl analysing a Microsoft .msg file

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Clyde Ingram, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Clyde Ingram

    Clyde Ingram Guest

    Can anyone show me how to crack open a Micro$soft .msg file, such as one
    that LookOut!! can create or receive?

    CPAN offers a wealth of modules for parsing SMTP mail, and lots of
    Win32::OLE modules -- but none, that I can find, on extracting elements
    (Subject, Originator, Attachments, etc) from Outlook.

    The ActiveState Perl manual does present an example of connecting to an
    Outlook mailbox and creating a mail message.
    But rather than connect to a mailbox, I just start with a .msg file.

    In ActiveState Perl, I have stumbled on a Win32::OLE - Type Library Browser
    at \Perl\html\OLE-Browser\Browser.html. Under Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object
    Library, this lists properties of a MailItem, including Recipients,
    SenderEmailAddress, Subject. But I do not know how to use Perl to enumerate
    or read or write such properties, let alone how to access the MailItem
    class.

    I'd appreciate any help CLPM can offfer, while understanding, from the
    ActiveState FAQ, that this NG concentrates on Unix-based Perl. You see, one
    of my colleagues at work has appealed for a programmatic way to analyse .msg
    files, and I'd really like to show him a sound Perl alternative to some hack
    like Visual Basic or VBscript.

    Thank-you,
    Clyde

    Clyde Ingram, Nov 21, 2005