    Chip Salzenberg sent me a complete patch to add System V IPC (msg, sem and
    shm calls), so I added them. If that bothers you, you can always undefine
    them in config.sh. :) -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 6, 2009

  2. Larry Gates

    Peter Wyzl Guest

    "Larry Gates" <> wrote in message
    news:r1gfh4xu6pwi.11rqztaxprs4$...

    > I've used perl as a usenet client before, but now that I have a site out
    > there with an email address that is supposed to get to me, and I wanted to
    > look at it through the rubric of perl.
    >
    > How would a person use perl to simulate what OE does?
    >
    > What activestate modules are required for a given method? I would have to
    > think there would be as many ways to do this in perl as building a wall
    > for
    > a carpenter.

    Anything with POP3 in it would be a starting point. But Perl is a language,
    not a usenet client -- you mean you wrote a usenet client in Perl.

    You can do POP3 with a telnet client if you wish, which would be a good
    place to start how e-mail clients commincate with the servers.

    Peter Wyzl, Mar 6, 2009

  3. Larry Gates

    Tim Greer Guest

    Larry Gates wrote:

    > I've used perl as a usenet client before, but now that I have a site
    > out there with an email address that is supposed to get to me, and I
    > wanted to look at it through the rubric of perl.
    >
    > How would a person use perl to simulate what OE does?
    >
    > What activestate modules are required for a given method? I would
    > have to think there would be as many ways to do this in perl as
    > building a wall for a carpenter.

    I believe you mean that you've used a usenet client coded in Perl.
    Someone asked a similar question a month or two ago, and then stated
    they wanted to actually do something else in the end. I assume you
    mean exactly what your subject says, and that you want to use Perl to
    code an email client? I don't know of any, but it's certainly
    possible. I don't know where to suggest you start for Windows (using
    ActiveState) though.

    Tim Greer, Mar 6, 2009
  4. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:59:49 -0800, Tim Greer wrote:

    > Larry Gates wrote:
    >

    >> I've used perl as a usenet client before, but now that I have a site
    >> out there with an email address that is supposed to get to me, and I
    >> wanted to look at it through the rubric of perl.
    >>
    >> How would a person use perl to simulate what OE does?
    >>
    >> What activestate modules are required for a given method? I would
    >> have to think there would be as many ways to do this in perl as
    >> building a wall for a carpenter.

    > I believe you mean that you've used a usenet client coded in Perl.
    > Someone asked a similar question a month or two ago, and then stated
    > they wanted to actually do something else in the end. I assume you
    > mean exactly what your subject says, and that you want to use Perl to
    > code an email client?

    Yeah.
    > I don't know of any, but it's certainly
    > possible. I don't know where to suggest you start for Windows (using
    > ActiveState) though.

    Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would be
    as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.
    --
    larry gates

    Anybody want a binary telemetry frame editor written in Perl?
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 7, 2009
  5. Larry Gates

    > On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:59:49 -0800, Tim Greer wrote:
    >> Larry Gates wrote:

    <snip>
    > Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would be
    > as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    Net::pOP3

    From the docs:

    SYNOPSIS
    use Net::pOP3; # Constructors
    $pop = Net::pOP3->new('pop3host');
    $pop = Net::pOP3->new('pop3host', Timeout => 60); if
    ($pop->login($username, $password) > 0) {
    my $msgnums = $pop->list; # hashref of msgnum => size
    foreach my $msgnum (keys %$msgnums) {
    my $msg = $pop->get($msgnum);
    print @$msg;
    $pop->delete($msgnum);
    }
    } $pop->quit;

    DESCRIPTION
    This module implements a client interface to the POP3 protocol, enabling a
    perl5 application to talk to POP3 servers. This documentation assumes that
    you are familiar with the POP3 protocol described in RFC1939.

    A new Net::pOP3 object must be created with the new method. Once this has
    been done, all POP3 commands are accessed via method calls on the object.

    Surely you can read the rest yourself...

    Peter Wyzl, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Larry Gates <> wrote in

    > Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would
    > be as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    http://www.unur.com/comp/ppp/delallspam.html

    might help you get started.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

    A. Sinan Unur, Mar 7, 2009
  7. Larry Gates

    M.O.B. i L. Guest

    Larry Gates wrote:

    > I've used perl as a usenet client before, but now that I have a site out
    > there with an email address that is supposed to get to me, and I wanted to
    > look at it through the rubric of perl.
    >
    > How would a person use perl to simulate what OE does?
    >
    > What activestate modules are required for a given method? I would have to
    > think there would be as many ways to do this in perl as building a wall for
    > a carpenter.

    I would use an IMAP client:
    <http://search.cpan.org/search?query=imap&mode=all>.

    It would enable me to transfer mails from one account to a GMail account
    for backup. GMail uses IMAP with SSL (imap.gmail.com, port 993). I have
    not done this myself yet and would also appeciate recommendations of
    which modules actually work.

    M.O.B. i L., Mar 8, 2009
  8. Larry Gates

    M.O.B. i L. Guest

    M.O.B. i L. wrote:
    > Larry Gates wrote:
    >> I've used perl as a usenet client before, but now that I have a site out
    >> there with an email address that is supposed to get to me, and I wanted to
    >> look at it through the rubric of perl.
    >>
    >> How would a person use perl to simulate what OE does?
    >>
    >> What activestate modules are required for a given method? I would have to
    >> think there would be as many ways to do this in perl as building a wall for
    >> a carpenter.

    > I would use an IMAP client:
    > <http://search.cpan.org/search?query=imap&mode=all>.
    >
    > It would enable me to transfer mails from one account to a GMail account
    > for backup. GMail uses IMAP with SSL (imap.gmail.com, port 993). I have
    > not done this myself yet and would also appeciate recommendations of
    > which modules actually work.

    I found one start to this:

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    # Based on a script on <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=649742>.

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use Mail::IMAPClient;
    use IO::Socket::SSL;

    my %settings = (
    IMAP => 'imap.gmail.com',
    PORT => 993,
    );
    @ARGV == 2
    or die 'Provide username and password for the IMAP server,'
    . " on the command line.\n";
    @settings{qw( USER PASS )} = @ARGV;

    my $socket = IO::Socket::SSL->new(
    PeerAddr => $settings{IMAP},
    PeerPort => $settings{PORT},
    ) or die "socket(): $@";

    my $client = Mail::IMAPClient->new(
    Socket => $socket,
    User => $settings{USER},
    Password => $settings{PASS},
    ) or die "new(): $@";

    print "Logged in\n" if $client->IsAuthenticated();
    my @folders = $client->folders();
    print join( "\n* ", 'Folders:', @folders ), "\n";

    $client->logout();

    M.O.B. i L., Mar 8, 2009
  9. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:41:26 +0100, M.O.B. i L. wrote:

    > use strict;
    > use warnings;
    > use Mail::IMAPClient;
    > use IO::Socket::SSL;

    Thanks for your response, mo. One of the hardest parts of getting one of
    these projects rolling is figuring out how you're going to imitate the
    modules that others use.

    The trick for me is to get what I read here on usenet and my actual choices
    with activestate to gybe.

    When I google for "cpan email pop3" I can't get away from this page
    http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/Email-Folder-POP3/Email/Folder/POP3.html

    I do not have this module:

    C:\MinGW\source> perl eml1.pl
    Can't locate Email/Folder.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib
    C:/Perl/li
    b .) at eml1.pl line 1.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at eml1.pl line 1.

    C:\MinGW\source>type eml1.pl
    use Email::Folder;
    use Email::FolderType::Net;

    my $folder = Email::Folder->new('pop://user:p:110');

    print $_->header('Subject') for $folder->messages;

    # perl eml1.pl
    C:\MinGW\source>

    What I do have is Mail::pOP3Client

    http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z10.jpg

    I do now have POP3Client.pm in /site/lib/mail/.

    Does anyone have experience with mail::pOP3Client? It's 42 k long as a .pm
    file. If I'm trying to figure out how to use it without any better
    documentation, how would I determine the methods?
    --
    larry gates

    ...sometimes collections of stupid utterances can be rather clever. If
    my writings are ever published posthumously, they should probably be
    called "A Collection of Stupid Utterances", or some such... :)
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 9, 2009
  10. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:12:58 GMT, Peter Wyzl wrote:

    > "Larry Gates" <> wrote in message

    >> Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would be
    >> as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    > Net::pOP3
    >
    > From the docs:
    >
    > SYNOPSIS
    > use Net::pOP3; # Constructors
    > $pop = Net::pOP3->new('pop3host');
    > $pop = Net::pOP3->new('pop3host', Timeout => 60); if
    > ($pop->login($username, $password) > 0) {
    > my $msgnums = $pop->list; # hashref of msgnum => size
    > foreach my $msgnum (keys %$msgnums) {
    > my $msg = $pop->get($msgnum);
    > print @$msg;
    > $pop->delete($msgnum);
    > }
    > } $pop->quit;

    I had to download the Email::Folder::pOP3, but now I've got it and we're
    rolling:

    C:\MinGW\source>perl eml2.pl
    Can't call method "login" on an undefined value at eml2.pl line 3.

    C:\MinGW\source>

    > DESCRIPTION
    > This module implements a client interface to the POP3 protocol, enabling a
    > perl5 application to talk to POP3 servers. This documentation assumes that
    > you are familiar with the POP3 protocol described in RFC1939.

    What is Perl5?

    > A new Net::pOP3 object must be created with the new method. Once this has
    > been done, all POP3 commands are accessed via method calls on the object.
    >

    > Surely you can read the rest yourself...

    I'll get on it.
    --
    larry gates

    And other operators aren't so special syntactically, but weird
    in other ways, like "scalar", and "goto".
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 9, 2009
  11. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:51:25 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > Larry Gates <> wrote in
    >
    >> Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would
    >> be as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    > http://www.unur.com/comp/ppp/delallspam.html
    >
    > might help you get started.
    >
    > Sinan

    It certainly does:

    C:\MinGW\source>perl eml3.pl
    Can't locate Lingua/EN/Inflect.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib
    C:/Pe
    rl/lib .) at eml3.pl line 52.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at eml3.pl line 52.

    C:\MinGW\source>type eml3.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl

    use strict;
    use warnings;

    $| = 1;

    use constant SEVERITY => 5;

    use Mail::pOP3Client;
    use Term::ReadKey;

    my $user = shift;

    my $pop = Mail::pOP3Client->new(HOST => '127.0.0.1', PORT => 9999);

    my $pass = prompt_password();
    print "\n";

    $pop->User($user);
    $pop->Pass($pass);
    $pop->Connect or die $pop->Message;

    my $count = $pop->Count;

    $count >= 0 or die "Failed to get message count.\n";
    $count > 0 or die "No messages in mailbox.\n";

    my @to_delete;

    print "Scanning messages: ";

    my $to_delete = 0;
    for my $msg_num (1 .. $count) {
    my @headers = $pop->Head($msg_num);

    for my $h (@headers) {
    if($h =~ /^X-Spam-Level: (\*+)/) {
    if(SEVERITY <= scalar ($1 =~ tr/*/*/)) {
    $to_delete += 1;
    $pop->Delete($msg_num);
    print "\b*>";
    } else {
    print "\b->";

    print "\b ... done\n";

    use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );

    if( $to_delete ) {
    printf "%d %s will be deleted. Commit: [Y/N]?\n",
    $to_delete, PL('message', $to_delete);
    $pop->Reset unless yes();
    }

    $pop->Close;

    print "OK\n";

    sub yes {
    while(my $r = <STDIN>) {
    $r = lc substr $r, 0, 1;
    return 1 if $r eq 'y';
    next unless $r eq 'n';
    last;
    }
    0;
    }

    sub prompt_password {
    print 'Password: ';
    ReadMode 2;
    my $pass = ReadLine 0;
    ReadMode 0;
    chomp $pass;
    return $pass;
    }

    __END__
    # perl eml3.pl
    C:\MinGW\source>

    The good news here is that I see a bunch of goodies as far as POP3's
    methods, and I don't fail until I get to:

    use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );

    What does this module do to filter out spam?
    --
    larry gates

    Randal can write one-liners again. Everyone is happy, and peace spreads
    over the whole Earth.
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 9, 2009
  12. Larry Gates <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:12:58 GMT, Peter Wyzl wrote:

    >> DESCRIPTION
    >> This module implements a client interface to the POP3 protocol, enabling a
    >> perl5 application to talk to POP3 servers. This documentation assumes that
    >> you are familiar with the POP3 protocol described in RFC1939.

    > What is Perl5?

    The version of perl that came after version 4 of perl (perldoc perlhist).

    Perl5 was a huge change to Perl, it introduced references and
    lexical variables to the language for example.

    For quite some time folks said "Perl5" rather than just "Perl" so that
    readers would know not to try the code with "Perl4".

    --
    Tad McClellan

    Tad J McClellan, Mar 9, 2009
  13. Larry Gates <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:51:25 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> Larry Gates <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl
    >>> would be as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    >> http://www.unur.com/comp/ppp/delallspam.html
    >>
    >> might help you get started.
    >>

    > C:\MinGW\source>perl eml3.pl
    > Can't locate Lingua/EN/Inflect.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    > C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Pe
    > rl/lib .) at eml3.pl line 52.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at eml3.pl line 52.

    > use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );
    >
    > if( $to_delete ) {
    > printf "%d %s will be deleted. Commit: [Y/N]?\n",
    > $to_delete, PL('message', $to_delete);
    > $pop->Reset unless yes();

    > use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );
    >
    > What does this module do to filter out spam?

    Note that the only place the module is used is where I choose between
    message/messages on the basis of the number of messages to delete.

    It is unnecessary to pull in a whole module to do this just once
    (obviously) but this code was meant as a demonstration.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Mar 9, 2009
  14. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:14:11 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    > Larry Gates <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:51:25 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >>
    >>> Larry Gates <> wrote in

    >>> http://www.unur.com/comp/ppp/delallspam.html
    >>>
    >>> might help you get started.
    >>>

    >> C:\MinGW\source>perl eml3.pl
    >> Can't locate Lingua/EN/Inflect.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    >> C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Pe
    >> rl/lib .) at eml3.pl line 52.
    >> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at eml3.pl line 52.

    >> use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );
    >>
    >> if( $to_delete ) {
    >> printf "%d %s will be deleted. Commit: [Y/N]?\n",
    >> $to_delete, PL('message', $to_delete);
    >> $pop->Reset unless yes();
    >> }

    >> use Lingua::EN::Inflect qw( PL );
    >>
    >> What does this module do to filter out spam?

    > Note that the only place the module is used is where I choose between
    > message/messages on the basis of the number of messages to delete.
    >
    > It is unnecessary to pull in a whole module to do this just once
    > (obviously) but this code was meant as a demonstration.
    >
    > Sinan

    I see. I thought it was a means to characterize the dialect of spam:
    tennis shoes, cheap flights, and so on.

    So it says, message nixed? message hits the bitbucket? message adiosed?
    --
    larry gates

    Personally, Rorschach blots always look like butterflies to me. Or
    pelvis bones, I admit it.
    -- Larry Wall, 8th State of the Onion

    Larry Gates, Mar 10, 2009
  15. Larry Gates

    Guest

    On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:40:33 -0700, Larry Gates <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:14:11 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> Larry Gates <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:51:25 GMT, A. Sinan Unur wrote:

    [cut the crap]
    >>> What does this module do to filter out spam?

    >> Note that the only place the module is used is where I choose between
    >> message/messages on the basis of the number of messages to delete.
    >>
    >> It is unnecessary to pull in a whole module to do this just once
    >> (obviously) but this code was meant as a demonstration.
    >>
    >> Sinan

    >I see. I thought it was a means to characterize the dialect of spam:
    >tennis shoes, cheap flights, and so on.
    >
    >So it says, message nixed? message hits the bitbucket? message adiosed?

    You are indeed insane and have no job and are worthless worker with no
    talent or skilz. If you had anything going for you, you wouldn't post here!
    I know I do, but what are you?

    -sln

    , Mar 10, 2009
  16. Larry Gates

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:12:58 GMT, Peter Wyzl wrote:

    > DESCRIPTION
    > This module implements a client interface to the POP3 protocol, enabling a
    > perl5 application to talk to POP3 servers. This documentation assumes that
    > you are familiar with the POP3 protocol described in RFC1939.
    >
    > A new Net::pOP3 object must be created with the new method. Once this has
    > been done, all POP3 commands are accessed via method calls on the object.
    >

    > Surely you can read the rest yourself...

    It took me till now to realize that if you know a module's name, you can
    get documentation on it by typing
    perldoc Net ::pOP3

    I tried to adapt their source snippet there, but I've hit on an error
    that's got the better of me:

    C:\MinGW\source> perl html5.pl
    Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at html5.pl line 18.

    C:\MinGW\source>type html5.pl
    use strict;
    use warnings;

    use LWP::Simple;
    use HTML::TreeBuilder;
    use HTML::FormatText;
    use Net::pOP3;

    my $t = "http://www.lomas-assault.net";

    my $host = 'pop.secureserver.net';
    my $username = '';
    my $password = '';

    my $pop = Net::pOP3->new( $host);

    if ($pop->login($username, $password) > 0) {
    my $msgnums = $pop->list; # hashref of msgnum => size
    foreach my $msgnum (keys %$msgnums) {
    my $msg = $pop->get($msgnum);
    print @$msg;
    #$pop->delete($msgnum);

    $pop->quit;
    # perl html5.pl

    C:\MinGW\source>

    Line 18 is
    if ($pop->login($username, $password) > 0) {

    I think of the error as usually having omitted a "my", but I think I've got
    that base covered. ??
    --
    larry gates

    Part of language design is purturbing the proposed feature in various
    directions to see how it might generalize in the future.
    -- Larry Wall in <>

    Larry Gates, Mar 11, 2009
  17. Larry Gates <> wrote:

    > It took me till now to realize that if you know a module's name, you can
    > get documentation on it by typing
    > perldoc Net ::pOP3
    >
    > I tried to adapt their source snippet there, but I've hit on an error
    > that's got the better of me:

    That is not an error message.

    It is a warning message.

    > C:\MinGW\source> perl html5.pl
    > Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at html5.pl line 18.

    You can also use perldoc to look up messages that perl issues.

    perldoc perldiag

    Use of uninitialized value%s

    (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
    defined. It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
    To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

    To help you figure out what was undefined, perl tells you what operation
    you used the undefined value in. Note, however, that perl optimizes your
    program and the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily
    appear literally in your program. For example, C<"that $foo"> is
    usually optimized into C<"that " . $foo>, and the warning will refer to
    the C<concatenation (.)> operator, even though there is no C<.> in your
    program.

    > I think of the error as usually having omitted a "my",

    No, the message you get for violating "use strict" like that is:

    Global symbol "%s" requires explicit package name

    (F) You've said "use strict vars", which indicates that all variables
    must either be lexically scoped (using "my"), declared beforehand using
    "our", or explicitly qualified to say which package the global variable
    is in (using "::").

    --
    Tad McClellan

    Tad J McClellan, Mar 11, 2009
  18. Larry Gates

    Todd Wade Guest

    On Mar 7, 1:31 am, Larry Gates <> wrote:

    > Gosh, I would have thought that writing an e-mail client in perl would be
    > as commonplace as ways to calculate pi with fortran.

    Great! Because it is. Your OP dosen't give enough information to tell
    us what it is that you want to do (generate a .csv file based on
    emails in an IMAP folder? Call the police when your security system
    emails you that someone has broke in?) so you are getting very little
    feedback and the feedback you are getting is very general.

    I would have thought that someone posting general questions in a
    technical newsgroup wouldn't be surprised when they get general

    trwww

    Todd Wade, Mar 14, 2009