Perl icon?

ccc31807

On my Windows desktop, I like to use icons that represent the
particular documentation and/or application, such as the lambda symbol
for Lisp, the coffee cup for Java, the red 'e' for Erlang, the dolphin
for MySQL, the penguin for Linux, the demon for FreeBSD, and so on.

There doesn't seem to be a symbol, mascot, or icon for Perl that I can
find. Does such a thing exist? The closest thing I can find is the AS
lizard or salamander or whatever.

CC

Uri Guttman

c> On my Windows desktop, I like to use icons that represent the
c> particular documentation and/or application, such as the lambda symbol
c> for Lisp, the coffee cup for Java, the red 'e' for Erlang, the dolphin
c> for MySQL, the penguin for Linux, the demon for FreeBSD, and so on.

c> There doesn't seem to be a symbol, mascot, or icon for Perl that I can
c> find. Does such a thing exist? The closest thing I can find is the AS
c> lizard or salamander or whatever.

what rock have you been living under? :) the camel has always been
perl's primary icon due to it being the animal on the first perl book,
o'reilly's programming perl (written by larry wall). but note that the
camel usage with perl is trademarked and can't be used commercially
without permission. there are a couple of those images you can use on
websites for free if they link back to o'reilly. you should be able to
find them easily by searching for camel logo on the o'reilly site. i
would assume using a camel image on your desktop is something that
nobody will care about but IANAL.

there is a newer image of an onion which is owned by the perl foundation
and it is free to use in all perl situations. it is an onion since larry
wall's annual speeches about perl at oscon were called state of the
onion. you should also be able to search for those easily. i don't have
the time to do it now.

uri

ccc31807

Have you looked at the front of the Camel book lately? :)

Okay, I had a mental block. Still, the camel is a little different
from the other icons, which have all been officially adopted in some
way by a sponsoring organization, like Sun for the Java coffee cup or
MySQL for MySQL dolphin or the Apache Foundation for Apache (the
feather) or the FreeBSD Foundation for the Free BSD demon.
The camel icon is included with the perl source as
win32/perlexe.ico.packd. You can unpack it using uupacktool.pl in the
root of the source directory (or a trivial script using unpack "u").

On my machine, it's at C:\Perl\site\lib\Win32\GUI\demos\guiperl.ico.
No need to unpack.

Thanks, CC.