Perl Permissions on Windows

Connell Gauld

Hey,

I have a slight problem...I have installed the latest version of Apache on
Windows XP Home and ActivePerl. I am looking to server as a small web host.
The problem is that users will be able to upload their own perl scripts and
using the open command, would be able to see and modify the entire hard
drive. Is there any way to restrict their access to the disk to that they
can only view and modify in their root directory. It is a NTFS drive but
there is no security options installed (ie you cannot specify file
permissions).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Connell Gauld

Tad McClellan

[ snip question about server configuration for CGI programs ]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You do not have a Perl question, you have a question about web
server configuration.

Ask questions about server setup in a newsgroup about servers, such as:

comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows

Ask questions about the CGI in a newsgroup about the CGI, such as:

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Ben Morrow

[ snip question about server configuration for CGI programs ]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You do not have a Perl question, you have a question about web
server configuration.

Actually I think he has a question about WinXP file security, for which
he should ask in some WinXP group.

The right answer to your problem is to set appropriate file permissions.

Ben

Matt Garrish

Connell Gauld said:
Hey,

I have a slight problem...I have installed the latest version of Apache on
Windows XP Home and ActivePerl. I am looking to server as a small web host.
The problem is that users will be able to upload their own perl scripts and
using the open command, would be able to see and modify the entire hard
drive. Is there any way to restrict their access to the disk to that they
can only view and modify in their root directory. It is a NTFS drive but
there is no security options installed (ie you cannot specify file
permissions).

As noted this is really off topic, but you can specify file and directory
permissions in XP Home. You don't get the purdy Security tab that you do in
Pro, but if you like the command line you can use the cacls program to
change the permissions.

Matt

Cyde Weys

Matt Garrish wrote:

As noted this is really off topic, but you can specify file and directory
permissions in XP Home. You don't get the purdy Security tab that you do in
Pro, but if you like the command line you can use the cacls program to
change the permissions.

Although, what he's doing sounds _exactly_ like something you'd want to
use Linux for.