Perl runtime error after installing oracle 10g

enigma

Hi,

I have a perl script which i've been using perfectly with no trouble at
all.. Two days ago i installed Oracle 10g. After i tried to run my
script.. A pop window tells me:

The application has failed to start because Perl56.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

After I press OK, i get these errors

Can't load
'C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/auto/IO/IO.dll'
for module IO: load_file:The specified module could not be found at
C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/XSLoader.pm
line 75.
at C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/IO.pm line
9
Compilation failed in require at
C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/IO/Handle.pm
line 256.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/IO/Handle.pm
line 256.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/site/lib/IO/Scalar.pm line
152.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/site/lib/IO/Scalar.pm line
152.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/site/lib/OLE/Storage_Lite.pm
line 171.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
C:/Perl/site/lib/OLE/Storage_Lite.pm line 171.
Compilation failed in require at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Spreadsheet/ParseExcel.pm line 176.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
C:/Perl/site/lib/Spreadsheet/ParseExcel.pm line 176.
Compilation failed in require at CreateUsFile.pl line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at CreateUsFile.pl line 2.

This script loads some modules and it's not finding them it's searching
in the wrong place.. Because if i do a simple perl script like print"
hello "; it works fine!

Can somebody tell me how to tell perl to look in the right place for
those modules?

Thank you

Ingo Menger

enigma said:
Hi,

I have a perl script which i've been using perfectly with no trouble at
all.. Two days ago i installed Oracle 10g. After i tried to run my
script.. A pop window tells me:

The application has failed to start because Perl56.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

After I press OK, i get these errors

Can't load
'C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86/auto/IO/IO.dll'
for module IO: load_file:The specified module could not be found at

This is typical. Just when you think you have your working environment
complete, ohh almost, I just install XYZ 5.47, then it happens.
The stupid, dumb bastards of the XYZ company include java 1.2.7 or perl
5.6.1 in their distribution and they make sure, this is called when you
say java or perl.
(A notable exception is NoMagic, they ask during install of MagicDraw
if they should use the java engine that's already installed.)

I recommend the following: find the perl.exe and all perl*dll that is
in the oracle file tree and rename them.
Or remove the correponding entry from PATH, if you can.
After that, your normal perl should work as before.

Take care: some Oracle patch procedures may rely on *their* shipped
perl version. Therefore, before doing another oracle upgrade or patch,
recreate the state of the system you have now (i.e. "perl" would call
the perl shipped with Oracle)

To take the different perls apart, perl -v or perl -V should help. It
shows, among others, the default @INC-path.

enigma

Hi,

Thanks alot..I did something similar...unsetting an environment
variable by:
@set PERL5LIB=

Perl's work wonderfully as before..Still don't know how would oracle
behave!

Mazen

Ingo Menger

enigma said:
Hi,

Thanks alot..I did something similar...unsetting an environment
variable by:
@set PERL5LIB=

Yes, I forgot to mention that one. It's most important.