    recommend a learning center (i.e. Learning Tree). Also, would be better
    suited for Unix Shell Scripting as opposed to Perl? Thanks in advance!
    , Feb 18, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I live in the Northern VA/DC metro region,

    Glad to see Northern Ireland users posting here.

    > and I am an Oracle DBA
    > looking to pick up on Perl scripting. I was wondering if anyone could
    > recommend a learning center (i.e. Learning Tree).

    You answered the question yourself.

    > Also, would be better
    > suited for Unix Shell Scripting as opposed to Perl?

    Sure, Nothing like like writing 50,000 line applications in csh.

    G. Toomey
    Australia
    Gregory Toomey, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Alan Mead Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:44:17 -0800, joutlaw wrote:

    > I live in the Northern VA/DC metro region, and I am an Oracle DBA
    > looking to pick up on Perl scripting. I was wondering if anyone could
    > recommend a learning center (i.e. Learning Tree). Also, would be better
    > suited for Unix Shell Scripting as opposed to Perl? Thanks in advance!

    I suspect that most people learn Perl through a combination of reading
    books and using on-line materials like various articles and other people's
    sources. There is a book about using Perl for system administration, for
    example.

    The nice thing about existing code is that it meets your immediate needs,
    as well as being educational.

    Not having done much shell scripting, I think the main advantages of Perl
    for that purpose are: (1) better data structures and (2) a better
    framework. For example, if you start making complex scripts, you can use
    OOP in Perl. You can also leverage the vast mountain of code modules
    already written for Perl. For example, you could access your Oracle
    databases using Perl. Perl is also considered "a natural" by many people
    when it comes to manipulating data, especially text data. Many people use
    Perl as "glue" between otherwise unconnected processes. (XML is supposed
    to fill that role in many instances).

    -Alan

    --
    Help out our research and get a free