    Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
    equivalent command for windows. I want to send a mail from a window
    machine. regards,

    KK, Feb 12, 2004

  2. KK wrote:
    > Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
    > equivalent command for windows.

    There is no "perl's sendmail command". sendmail is a mail transfer
    agent that is typically available on *nix platforms. Another thing is
    that you often open a pipe to sendmail from Perl programs when you
    want to send messages.

    > I want to send a mail from a window machine.

    One option is to have sendmail.exe installed, and do as you would have
    done on *nix. Another option is to send the message directly from Perl
    by making use of one of the many Perl modules for the purpose.
    Personally I have good experiences from using Mail::Sender.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Feb 12, 2004

  3. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:51:51 -0800, KK wrote:

    > Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
    > equivalent command for windows. I want to send a mail from a window
    > machine. regards,

    Think Perl (not shell) and use a module :)

    Net::SMTP or MIME::Lite or ....

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    "Protozoa are small, and bacteria are small, but viruses are
    smaller than the both put together."

    James Willmore, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Be Careful!! and don't use those modules to spam!!
    Especially Employers!!

    1:51am, IP packets from KK delivered:

    --
    echo | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'

    You are the product of a mutational union of ~640Mbytes of
    genetic information.
    -------------------------------------
    Printed using 100% recycled electrons

    Cognition Peon, Feb 12, 2004
  5. KK

    KK Guest

    Thanks Gunnar & others for your suggestions. I'm new to this world of
    SMTP server & I dont know how to figure out the name of my local mail
    server (which is a parameter for the program) in the following two
    cases.
    1. When I work on my 56.6Kbps modem using AOL as ISP.
    2. Working on my university terminal whose mail server is a pop3 (i
    dont know if it falls under the category of SMTP !)
    Thanks in advance!
    -Cheers,

    KK, Feb 12, 2004
  6. KK

    Ben Morrow Guest

    [please don't top-post]

    (KK) wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote in message news:<c0fj4o$14lgja$-berlin.de>...
    > > KK wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I want to send a mail from a window machine.

    > > One option is to have sendmail.exe installed, and do as you would have
    > > done on *nix. Another option is to send the message directly from Perl
    > > by making use of one of the many Perl modules for the purpose.
    > > Personally I have good experiences from using Mail::Sender.

    > I'm new to this world of SMTP server & I dont know how to figure out
    > the name of my local mail server (which is a parameter for the
    > program) in the following two cases.
    >
    > 1. When I work on my 56.6Kbps modem using AOL as ISP.
    > 2. Working on my university terminal whose mail server is a pop3 (i
    > dont know if it falls under the category of SMTP !)

    In both cases, you will need to ask the relevan tech support people
    (or examine their websites). If you have a mail client (e.g. Outlook
    or some such) already working, you should be able to find the
    information in its settings somewhere.

    POP3 is not at all the same as SMTP: as far as you are concerned, POP3
    is used for receiving mail whereas SMTP is used for sending it.

    Ben

    Mystics and saints | Than ever was born
    |----------------+---------------| The Levellers, 'Believers'

    Ben Morrow, Feb 12, 2004
  7. KK

    KK Guest

    why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as Bulk

    Hi,
    With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
    machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
    considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?
    Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
    to employers? would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how? what
    is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people? After
    all, programming should be practical!
    regards,
    -KK

    KK, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Re: why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as Bulk

    KK () wrote:
    : Hi,
    : With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
    : machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
    : considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?

    Apparently not if you send from your PC using your current provider.

    Yahoo is probably looking at your ip address. Many many many addresses
    are in untrusted ranges and will be flagged or simply discarded by many
    systems that receive mail.

    To send mail reliably, you need to find a host that is trusted by systems
    that receive mail and send your mail from that host. Depending on the
    host, you may be able to send mail from your PC using smtp but will point
    the smtp at your ISP's mail host and use it as a relay, so the recipients
    see the trusted host's ip.

    I'm not saying this is technically required, or good or bad, I'm just
    saying that that is often what you must do in practise if you wish to
    upload your message data into the reciepients file space.

    : Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
    : to employers?

    He said don't _spam_ employers using these modules. You could use them to
    send other mail to employers. Beware though that sending multiple copies
    of similar documents to anyone is liable to put your mail and/or ip
    address into various spammer lists.

    : would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how?

    E.g. DCC, RAZOR

    : what
    : is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people?

    10 copies is bulk, no? so you'll notice the yahoo bulk flag would have
    been correct in this case.

    I doubt that ten copies would get you onto any/many spam lists, though it
    might. Unless you have a pre-existing permission to send mail then the
    best thing is to tailor each mail to the specific requirements of the
    recipient so that the mail is truly "on topic" for the receipient when
    they read it. Remember though that what a sender considers "on topic"
    is commonly just "the usual crap" to many of the recipients.

    : After all, programming should be practical!

    rejecting/flagging mail from untrusted ip's is very practical - from the
    recipient's point of view.

    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Re: why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as Bulk

    KK wrote:
    > Subject: why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as
    > Bulk

    It has nothing to do with which program was used to compose the mail.

    Malcolm explained that the IP address of the sending mail server may
    be one explanation. Another possible explanation is the actual
    composition of the message, that is used by some spam filtering
    software to detect spam. You may for instance want to check
    SpamAssassin's web site for criteria that they are using.

    > what is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people?

    State multiple comma separated addresses in the "To:" field.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Re: why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as Bulk

    On 13 Feb 2004 10:06:09 -0800, KK <> wrote:
    > With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
    > machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
    > considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?
    > Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
    > to employers? would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how? what
    > is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people? After
    > all, programming should be practical!
    > regards,
    > -KK

    The cw.net (Cable & Wireless) IP you posted from has no name in DNS (which
    may be considered by some to be suspicious). If your script is actually
    sending from SBC Yahoo DSL, then I have info for configuring sendmail or
    postfix for outgoing authenticated smtp.*.yahoo.com relays at
    http://efflandt.freeshell.org/sbc-smtp-auth.html

    But that assumes that your local smtp is working in general, and that your
    script uses it for sending. Depending upon what you are sending and how
    it is formatted, there might be something else in it that still triggers
    it as bulk (like too many recipients, headers, or content).

    David Efflandt, Feb 14, 2004