perl 'sendmail' equivalent in windows

KK

Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
equivalent command for windows. I want to send a mail from a window
machine. regards,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

KK said:
Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
equivalent command for windows.

There is no "perl's sendmail command". sendmail is a mail transfer
agent that is typically available on *nix platforms. Another thing is
that you often open a pipe to sendmail from Perl programs when you
want to send messages.
I want to send a mail from a window machine.

One option is to have sendmail.exe installed, and do as you would have
done on *nix. Another option is to send the message directly from Perl
by making use of one of the many Perl modules for the purpose.
Personally I have good experiences from using Mail::Sender.

James Willmore

Wondering if anyone can help me in finding the perl's 'sendmail'
equivalent command for windows. I want to send a mail from a window
machine. regards,

Think Perl (not shell) and use a module :)

Net::SMTP or MIME::Lite or ....

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"Protozoa are small, and bacteria are small, but viruses are
smaller than the both put together."

Cognition Peon

Be Careful!! and don't use those modules to spam!!
Especially Employers!!

1:51am, IP packets from KK delivered:

KK

Thanks Gunnar & others for your suggestions. I'm new to this world of
SMTP server & I dont know how to figure out the name of my local mail
server (which is a parameter for the program) in the following two
cases.
1. When I work on my 56.6Kbps modem using AOL as ISP.
2. Working on my university terminal whose mail server is a pop3 (i
dont know if it falls under the category of SMTP !)
Thanks in advance!
-Cheers,

Ben Morrow

[please don't top-post]

I'm new to this world of SMTP server & I dont know how to figure out
the name of my local mail server (which is a parameter for the
program) in the following two cases.

1. When I work on my 56.6Kbps modem using AOL as ISP.
2. Working on my university terminal whose mail server is a pop3 (i
dont know if it falls under the category of SMTP !)

In both cases, you will need to ask the relevan tech support people
(or examine their websites). If you have a mail client (e.g. Outlook
or some such) already working, you should be able to find the
information in its settings somewhere.

POP3 is not at all the same as SMTP: as far as you are concerned, POP3
is used for receiving mail whereas SMTP is used for sending it.

Ben

KK

Hi,
With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?
Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
to employers? would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how? what
is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people? After
all, programming should be practical!
regards,
-KK

Malcolm Dew-Jones

KK ([email protected]) wrote:
: Hi,
: With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
: machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
: considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?

Apparently not if you send from your PC using your current provider.

Yahoo is probably looking at your ip address. Many many many addresses
are in untrusted ranges and will be flagged or simply discarded by many
systems that receive mail.

To send mail reliably, you need to find a host that is trusted by systems
that receive mail and send your mail from that host. Depending on the
host, you may be able to send mail from your PC using smtp but will point
the smtp at your ISP's mail host and use it as a relay, so the recipients
see the trusted host's ip.

I'm not saying this is technically required, or good or bad, I'm just
saying that that is often what you must do in practise if you wish to
upload your message data into the reciepients file space.

: Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
: to employers?

He said don't _spam_ employers using these modules. You could use them to
send other mail to employers. Beware though that sending multiple copies
of similar documents to anyone is liable to put your mail and/or ip
address into various spammer lists.

: would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how?

E.g. DCC, RAZOR

: what
: is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people?

10 copies is bulk, no? so you'll notice the yahoo bulk flag would have
been correct in this case.

I doubt that ten copies would get you onto any/many spam lists, though it
might. Unless you have a pre-existing permission to send mail then the
best thing is to tailor each mail to the specific requirements of the
recipient so that the mail is truly "on topic" for the receipient when
they read it. Remember though that what a sender considers "on topic"
is commonly just "the usual crap" to many of the recipients.

: After all, programming should be practical!

rejecting/flagging mail from untrusted ip's is very practical - from the
recipient's point of view.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

KK said:
Subject: why do some mail servers treat perl generated mails as
Bulk

It has nothing to do with which program was used to compose the mail.

Malcolm explained that the IP address of the sending mail server may
be one explanation. Another possible explanation is the actual
composition of the message, that is used by some spam filtering
software to detect spam. You may for instance want to check
SpamAssassin's web site for criteria that they are using.
what is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people?

State multiple comma separated addresses in the "To:" field.

David Efflandt

With Mail::Sender I could finally able to send mails from windows
machine. However, when I use yahoo DSL HMTP mail server, my mails are
considered Bulk Emails. Is there a way I can avoid this ?
Peon, just curious as to why cant I use these modules to post mails
to employers? would they be detecting them as spam? if yes, how? what
is the best way to mail the same mail to 10 different people? After
all, programming should be practical!
regards,
-KK

The cw.net (Cable & Wireless) IP you posted from has no name in DNS (which
may be considered by some to be suspicious). If your script is actually
sending from SBC Yahoo DSL, then I have info for configuring sendmail or
postfix for outgoing authenticated smtp.*.yahoo.com relays at
http://efflandt.freeshell.org/sbc-smtp-auth.html

But that assumes that your local smtp is working in general, and that your
script uses it for sending. Depending upon what you are sending and how
it is formatted, there might be something else in it that still triggers
it as bulk (like too many recipients, headers, or content).