Perl vs Python vs Ruby

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Oct 18, 2005.

  1. I was skimming over slashdot, and came across a somewhat heated
    debate over the virtues and vices of Perl in relation to Ruby and
    Python.

    I checked out Python, and it seems ok. the syntax (from cursory
    inspection) seems clean, and i've heard Python is very lightweight. I
    don't like the fact that white space restricts the code. I read that
    this poses issues with embedding Python in HTML pages.

    People claim that one of the major flaws of Perl is its 'line noise'
    (i think this refers to the $, @, %, etc). Personally, i like these
    symbols as they describe a variable in an intuitive and simple manner.
    scalars start with a symbol that looks like an 's' ($). arrays start
    with a symbol that resembles an 'a' (@). hashes are represented by a
    symbol which seems to relate one element to another (%). by glancing at
    a variable, you can immediately tell it's type. although some would
    argue that you should be able to tell a variable's type based on its
    context anyway, this isn't always true, since amiguities do exist. and
    while these symbols don't *perfectly* describe at-a-glance what the
    variables are, they do help.

    I also looked at Ruby, and that language looks very foreign to me. I
    don't really know enough to comment on it, but I do know that Perl has
    a much larger community that is devoted to maintaining and improving
    the language. plus CPAN is a huge resource for Perl users. i don't
    think Python or Ruby have anything comparable.

    anyway, so what's with all the brouhaha about Python and Ruby?

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Oct 18, 2005

  2. it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead

    Paul Lalli Guest

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead wrote:
    > anyway, so what's with all the brouhaha about Python and Ruby?

    How about you search groups.google for the hundreds of previous flame
    wars in c.l.p.m, c.l.python, and c.l.ruby, rather than starting a new
    one?

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Paul Lalli wrote:
    > it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead wrote:
    > > anyway, so what's with all the brouhaha about Python and Ruby?

    > How about you search groups.google for the hundreds of previous flame
    > wars in c.l.p.m, c.l.python, and c.l.ruby, rather than starting a new
    > one?
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    it wasn't my intention to start a flame war. i noticed *recent*
    dialogue about this subject, so was curious about it.

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Oct 18, 2005
  4. it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Tim Hammerquist:

    > I really like the idea of
    > significant whitespace. But maybe that's just from all the Perl
    > code I've seen that sits flush with the left margin... all 600
    > lines of it.

    perltidy unless hardcopy

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    > it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead <> wrote:
    > > Paul Lalli wrote:
    > > >
    > > > How about you search groups.google for the hundreds of
    > > > previous flame wars in c.l.p.m, c.l.python, and c.l.ruby,
    > > > rather than starting a new one?

    > > it wasn't my intention to start a flame war. i noticed
    > > *recent* dialogue about this subject, so was curious about it.

    > The recent isn't significantly different from the previous.
    >
    > For the record, however, while I don't find the Python language
    > itself terribly useful in my work, I really like the idea of
    > significant whitespace. But maybe that's just from all the Perl
    > code I've seen that sits flush with the left margin... all 600
    > lines of it.
    >
    > Tim Hammerquist

    thanks. i appreciate your comments :).

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Oct 19, 2005
  6. it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead

    Chris Barts Guest

    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead <> wrote on Tuesday 18
    October 2005 07:56 in comp.lang.perl.misc
    <<>>:

    > I was skimming over slashdot, and came across a somewhat heated
    > debate over the virtues and vices of Perl in relation to Ruby and
    > Python.
    >
    > I checked out Python, and it seems ok. the syntax (from cursory
    > inspection) seems clean, and i've heard Python is very lightweight. I
    > don't like the fact that white space restricts the code. I read that
    > this poses issues with embedding Python in HTML pages.

    The whitespace isn't an issue for most people, because it is how sane people
    indent their code anyway. Think of it as a 'minimum standard for
    readability.'

    > People claim that one of the major flaws of Perl is its 'line noise'
    > (i think this refers to the $, @, %, etc). Personally, i like these
    > symbols as they describe a variable in an intuitive and simple manner.
    > scalars start with a symbol that looks like an 's' ($). arrays start
    > with a symbol that resembles an 'a' (@). hashes are represented by a
    > symbol which seems to relate one element to another (%). by glancing at
    > a variable, you can immediately tell it's type. although some would
    > argue that you should be able to tell a variable's type based on its
    > context anyway, this isn't always true, since amiguities do exist. and
    > while these symbols don't *perfectly* describe at-a-glance what the
    > variables are, they do help.

    I agree fully, with the exception that @array -> $array[0] is somewhat
    irrational, and that being able to use %foo, @foo, and $foo as unrelated
    variables in the same program is insane.

    But all programming languages allow some degree of insanity.

    > I also looked at Ruby, and that language looks very foreign to me. I
    > don't really know enough to comment on it, but I do know that Perl has
    > a much larger community that is devoted to maintaining and improving
    > the language. plus CPAN is a huge resource for Perl users. i don't
    > think Python or Ruby have anything comparable.

    Ruby is closely related to Smalltalk and Lisp. If you don't know either of
    those languages, and you should learn them, Ruby will indeed look foreign
    to you. (Personally, I think it's a very elegant language.)

    And you are right that very few languages have anything comparable to CPAN.
    Hopefully, with Parrot becoming a common backend to these languages CPAN's
    wealth will spread to programmers who like quality code but don't enjoy
    programming in Perl.

    > anyway, so what's with all the brouhaha about Python and Ruby?

    What's with all the brouhaha about Perl? Everyone has his own preference and
    every project has its own demands; programming languages have to fit both,
    thus the proliferation of languages that are in many ways actually quite
    similar.

    Chris Barts, Oct 19, 2005