Permission check for secured subfolders?

TK

Excuse me for multiple posting because I've posted this message to
aspnet.security NG but have not got any response yet.

I'm building an ASP.NET application works in Forms Authentication mode with
custom user account database. And it shows clients a list of hyperlinks to
content pages located in some separated subfolders. This application and
content pages are entirely secured, so everyone must logon to the
application. The application pages and most of content pages are accessible
for every authenticated clients but some of content pages in some specific
subfolders are served for specific users and groups only. I'm using URL
authorization to achieve this. Everything works fine now.

Now what I'm attempting to do is, hide/remove hyperlinks to unacceptable
contents from the contents list page. To do this, I want to test client's
access right for every subfolders at server side Page_Load() function, so
that avoid client user's useless operation. I don't want to show clients the
access forbidden message any more.

How can I do it?
Help me please.

best regards,
TK

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi TK,

I think you may be going about this the wrong way. What you really want to
do is design your application so that people have access to certain areas
based upon their role. You can then use User.IsInRole(<role>) to determine
if a user should see a particular page element. You can also use
<location> elements within your web.config to limit a user's access to
certain parts of the application.

Here's a URL you may find helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html
/secmod18.asp

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

TK

Thank you for your help Jim!

You made my problem be clear. Yes, I agree with you I should use
User.IsInRole(<role>) method to check user's access permission. But where I
can get the <role> definitions? Do I have to manipulate the Web.config by
myself to get the <allow><deny> configurations for every subfolders?

In my application, these secured subfolders are not only located at flat
level but also be configured as an nested tree. And the contents manager
should be able to configure neccesary security settings to every subfolders
in everywhere.

So, if a content page is located at an URL such as
http://myserver/myapp/folder1/folder2/folder3/content.aspx, then I think I
have to manipulate Web.config files located in folder3, folder2, folder1,
myapp and machine.config all by myself.

Is thing like as above an only way for me?
Are there any classes/methods for me to make things easier?

best regards,
TK

From: "TK" <[email protected]>
Subject: Permission check for secured subfolders?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:13:41 +0900
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

TK,

You assign the roles in the user's database record or simply use the AD
roles. Doesn't matter.

As far as assigning which role has access to which resources, <location>
tags are going to be the best method.

Subject: Re: Permission check for secured subfolders?