permonks: random images/texts for web page

Wenjie

Hello,

I searched the web and find some randam image perl scripts. But not as
elegant as I imagined. Do you know how the random image is implemented at:
http://www.perlmonks.org/ ???

Furthermore, I want to get some insights into the following points:
- How could I pickup some random image/text file from some directories?
- How could I glob a set of user text files and pick up some particular
paragraph's data for random input?
- Shall I use SSI if my page is dynamically generated by perl CGI script?
- I saw some onliner on perl cook book, does anyone have such a solution,
maybe just several lines?

Thanks and greetings!
Wenjie

Jo Andreas P. Sama

Wenjie said:
Hello,

I searched the web and find some randam image perl scripts. But not as
elegant as I imagined. Do you know how the random image is implemented at:
http://www.perlmonks.org/ ???

Furthermore, I want to get some insights into the following points:
- How could I pickup some random image/text file from some directories?
- How could I glob a set of user text files and pick up some particular
paragraph's data for random input?
- Shall I use SSI if my page is dynamically generated by perl CGI script?
- I saw some onliner on perl cook book, does anyone have such a solution,
maybe just several lines?

Thanks and greetings!
Wenjie

Regarding SSI,
I currently use SSI to implement a text
updated daily at my site, and it does save
me printing out a lot of HTML from my scripts.
(Is this, true laziness?)

SSI is nice, especially if you want to add a last
modified date, or something else.

SSI might be quite useful in many cases, but this
is as all things, relative. The downturn is a minor
increase in the time used to serve the page to a client.

Joe Smith

Wenjie said:
- Shall I use SSI if my page is dynamically generated by perl CGI script?

Won't work. Most web servers will not look for SSI directives in the
output created by a CGI. You'll have to emulate them yourself.
-Joe