Persistant cookies and non-persistant cookies.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by archana, May 25, 2007.

  1. archana

    archana Guest

    Hi all,

    Can anyone tell me what exactly persistant cookies and non-persistant
    cookies means.

    I read some where that in non persistant cookies if i am using session
    data remains in that cookies untill end of session.

    But in persistant cookies, data remains in cookies until it expires.
    Does it means that even if session ends data remains in cookies? If
    yes what happend if i access same website again?

    will it give me previously stored data?

    Please correct me if i am wrong.

    thanks in advance.

    archana, May 25, 2007

  2. archana

    Aidy Guest

    A peristant cookie is written to the hard drive and will expire at some
    point in the future. A non-persistant one exists only while your browser is
    active. If you shut the browser down the cookie is gone. ASP stores your
    Session ID in a non-persistant cookie.

    Your session data is not stored in the cookie itself but on the server.
    Only your session ID is in the cookie.

    Aidy, May 25, 2007