Persistent HTTP Connections with Python?

Scott Sharkey

Hello All,

I am trying to write a python script to talk to an xml-based stock feed
service. They are telling me that I must connect and login, and then
"issue refresh requests" to fetch the data. This sounds a lot (to me)
like HTTP 1.1 persistent connections. Can I do that with the urllib
functions, or do I need to use the httplib functions for this kind of
work. Pointers and/or sample code would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-scott

Ivan Novick

Hello All,

I am trying to write a python script to talk to an xml-based stock feed
service. They are telling me that I must connect and login, and then
"issue refresh requests" to fetch the data. This sounds a lot (to me)
like HTTP 1.1 persistent connections. Can I do that with the urllib
functions, or do I need to use the httplib functions for this kind of
work. Pointers and/or sample code would be much appreciated.

Your questions leaves out all important details like the exact nature
of the API being provided. I highly doubt HTTP persistent connections
has anything to do with what you will need to connect to there
service.

Services like this normally come with example code, i recommend you
get access to that.

Regards,
Ivan Novick
http://www.0x4849.net

Rob Kapteyn

Hello All,

I am trying to write a python script to talk to an xml-based stock feed
service.  They are telling me that I must connect and login, and then
"issue refresh requests" to fetch the data.  This sounds a lot (to me)
like HTTP 1.1persistentconnections.  Can I do that with the urllib
functions, or do I need to use the httplib functions for this kind of
work.  Pointers and/or sample code would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-scott

I used to work in the financial industry and I have seen this.
It is sort of like the XML RSS feed that web sites provide -- but like
many financial protocols they created their own standard.
Python httplib can be used to create a SERVER for persistent HTTP
connections -- but want you want is a client.
I think this is actually very simple.
What happens when you open the data URL with a web browser ?
Does the connection stay open and automatically update each time there
is new data ?
If so, just use urllib, leave the connection open and do a read()
every so often to see if there is new data.
Good luck!
-Rob