peter-swing

Lew

Peter said:
I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, hðšðšðš™://code.google.ðšŒÈ«ð—†/ðš™/peter-swing/
I am going to make Breadcrumb.

What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?

Lew

markspace said:
Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
make one. With vim.

And vigor?

Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?

markspace

What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?

He's telling us he plagiarized the code from the OpenJDK:

package com.peterswing;
public class MetalBumps implements Icon {

static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);

protected int xBumps;
protected int yBumps;
protected Color topColor;
protected Color shadowColor;
protected Color backColor;

/*
2 * Copyright (c) 1998, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All
rights reserved.
3 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.

26 package javax.swing.plaf.metal;

43 class MetalBumps implements Icon {
44
45 static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
46
47 protected int xBumps;
48 protected int yBumps;
49 protected Color topColor;
50 protected Color shadowColor;
51 protected Color backColor;

<http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>

<http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/source/browse/trunk/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>

Lew

markspace said:
[...]

<...plagiarized/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>

Wow, shame on you, Peter! Why did you do that? And why did you proudly announce to the world that you did that?

I guess it's not inconsistent with dropping a meaningless spam in the newsgroup.

markspace

And vigor?

Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?

It's a very large amount of code with all of the Java doc comments
removed, I'm guessing in an effort to hide where the source came from.

It's either a poor effort to pass a large code base off as one's own, or
an attempt to hide some sinister purpose behind a lot of source lines.

Roedy Green

What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

we need a better way of picking dates. I did one with spinners. See
http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SPINNER

We need a better colourpicker.

See http://mindprod.com/project/jcolourchooser.html

We need a component that display currency is local currency based to
today's exchange rate. See http://mindprod.com/applet/currcon.html

How about a component that treats international addresses as atomic
units. They have in the apt, street, post code, country, state
localised with validation tables that are frequently updated.

They display the address with increasing levels of fullness depending
on how much screen space is available.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Martin Gregorie

It's a very large amount of code with all of the Java doc comments
removed,
i.e., made almost completely useless. IME any comment-free class library
is worthless. I do not expect to read source in order to use any library
regardless of whom, including myself, wrote it.

Peter Cheung

Roedy Greenæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8下åˆ9時47分51秒寫é“:
[...]

good stuff, I am creating a Outlook Panel. I need it for my other project

Peter Cheung

markspaceæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ5時42分43秒寫é“:
Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
make one. With vim.

I use eclipse to build it, so no build file.

Peter Cheung

Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ6時07分11秒寫é“:
And vigor?

Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and whatits purpose is?

want to enhance swing component

Peter Cheung

markspaceæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ6時07分27秒寫é“:
[...]

peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized anotheropen source project?

Lew

Peter said:
peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized another open source project?

It definitely appears that way from what people report.

Plagiarism is plagiarism whether from open source, to open source or whatever.
It's plagiarism to pass off a play of Shakespeare's as your own, is it not?

Furthermore, unlike the Shakespeare example, if the accusations be true then
the "peter-swing" spammer violated copyright, which is legally actionable,
beyond plagiarism.

Wasn't it Tivo or Cisco or someone like that that got in trouble for using
Linux and not distributing source code or acknowledging the copyright or such?

Lew

Peter said:
Lew 上åˆ6時07分11秒寫é“:

Please don't quote sigs.
want to enhance swing component

Huh? With someone else's code?

Who wants to, you?

Are you claiming that your offering enhances something, or simply stating that
someone wants to?

In what way does your offering enhance something, specifically?

Tell us why we should look at it, and please answer the accusations of
plagiarism and copyright violation that others have leveled.

markspace

peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
another open source project?

Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
restrictions. When you read the line below, what does it mean to you?
And why did you remove not only the copyright notice, but also ALL Java
doc comments?

Lew

markspace said:
Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
restrictions. When you read the line below, what does it mean to you?
And why did you remove not only the copyright notice, but also ALL Java
doc comments?

Quite aside from the ethical and legal malfeasance, the engineering basis for including source to the core Java libraries as your own is non-existent.Platform classes are already part of the platform; why would "peter-swing"need to copy them at all, much less steal them?

This raises the distinct possibility that the code itself, quite aside fromthe documentation lack, the ethics lack, the build script lack, and the legal dodginess, is crap. I cannot expect that a product built on the unnecessary duplication of classes guaranteed to be present anyway would be otherwise.

I am willing to hear countervailing evidence, but so far the OP has only responded with ambiguous sentence fragments and avoidance of the issues raised, or to the very limited extent that he responded, weak excuses.

Joshua Cranmer

peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized another open source project?

Open source code is still copyrighted, and violating the license of open
source code is still illegal.

Peter Cheung

Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月27日星期五UTC+8上åˆ1時04分36秒寫é“:
Quite aside from the ethical and legal malfeasance, the engineering basisfor including source to the core Java libraries as your own is non-existent. Platform classes are already part of the platform; why would "peter-swing" need to copy them at all, much less steal them?

This raises the distinct possibility that the code itself, quite aside from the documentation lack, the ethics lack, the build script lack, and the legal dodginess, is crap. I cannot expect that a product built on the unnecessary duplication of classes guaranteed to be present anyway would be otherwise.

I am willing to hear countervailing evidence, but so far the OP has only responded with ambiguous sentence fragments and avoidance of the issues raised, or to the very limited extent that he responded, weak excuses.

Actually I don't need MetalBump.java. I removed it from my project. Please update from svn.

Peter Cheung

Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月26日星期四UTC+8下åˆ10時40分12秒寫é“:
Please don't quote sigs.

Huh? With someone else's code?

Who wants to, you?

Are you claiming that your offering enhances something, or simply statingthat
someone wants to?

In what way does your offering enhance something, specifically?

Tell us why we should look at it, and please answer the accusations of
plagiarism and copyright violation that others have leveled.

I was making a new Swing theme, and some swing components.