    What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    thanks
    from Peter ()
    Peter, Apr 24, 2012

  2. Peter

    Lew Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, hðšðšðš™://code.google.ðšŒÈ«ð—†/ðš™/peter-swing/
    > I am going to make Breadcrumb.
    >
    > What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 24, 2012

  3. Peter

    markspace Guest

    On 4/24/2012 11:18 AM, Peter wrote:
    > Hi All
    > I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

    Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    make one. With vim.
    markspace, Apr 24, 2012
  4. Peter

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

    > Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    > make one. With vim.

    And vigor?

    Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 24, 2012
  5. Peter

    markspace Guest

    On 4/24/2012 1:26 PM, Lew wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, hðšðšðš™://code.google.ðšŒÈ«ð—†/ðš™/peter-swing/
    >> I am going to make Breadcrumb.
    >>
    >> What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    > What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?

    He's telling us he plagiarized the code from the OpenJDK:

    package com.peterswing;
    public class MetalBumps implements Icon {

    static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);

    protected int xBumps;
    protected int yBumps;
    protected Color topColor;
    protected Color shadowColor;
    protected Color backColor;

    /*
    2 * Copyright (c) 1998, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All
    rights reserved.
    3 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.

    26 package javax.swing.plaf.metal;

    43 class MetalBumps implements Icon {
    44
    45 static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    46
    47 protected int xBumps;
    48 protected int yBumps;
    49 protected Color topColor;
    50 protected Color shadowColor;
    51 protected Color backColor;

    <http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>

    <http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/source/browse/trunk/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>
    markspace, Apr 24, 2012
  6. Peter

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, hðšðšðš™://code.google.ðšŒÈ«ð—†/ðš™/peter-swing/
    >>> I am going to make Breadcrumb.
    >>>
    >>> What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    >> What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?

    > He's telling us he plagiarized the code from the OpenJDK:
    >
    > package com.peterswing;
    > public class MetalBumps implements Icon {
    >
    > static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    >
    > protected int xBumps;
    > protected int yBumps;
    > protected Color topColor;
    > protected Color shadowColor;
    > protected Color backColor;
    >

    > /*
    > 2 * Copyright (c) 1998, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All
    > rights reserved.
    > 3 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.
    >
    > 26 package javax.swing.plaf.metal;
    >
    > 43 class MetalBumps implements Icon {
    > 44
    > 45 static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    > 46
    > 47 protected int xBumps;
    > 48 protected int yBumps;
    > 49 protected Color topColor;
    > 50 protected Color shadowColor;
    > 51 protected Color backColor;
    >

    > <http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>
    >
    > <...plagiarized/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>

    Wow, shame on you, Peter! Why did you do that? And why did you proudly announce to the world that you did that?

    I guess it's not inconsistent with dropping a meaningless spam in the newsgroup.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 24, 2012
  7. Peter

    markspace Guest

    On 4/24/2012 3:07 PM, Lew wrote:
    > markspace wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

    >> Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    >> make one. With vim.

    > And vigor?
    >
    > Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?

    It's a very large amount of code with all of the Java doc comments
    removed, I'm guessing in an effort to hide where the source came from.

    It's either a poor effort to pass a large code base off as one's own, or
    an attempt to hide some sinister purpose behind a lot of source lines.
    markspace, Apr 25, 2012
  8. Peter

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:18:25 -0700 (PDT), Peter <>

    >What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    we need a better way of picking dates. I did one with spinners. See
    http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SPINNER

    We need a better colourpicker.

    See http://mindprod.com/project/jcolourchooser.html

    We need a component that display currency is local currency based to
    today's exchange rate. See http://mindprod.com/applet/currcon.html

    How about a component that treats international addresses as atomic
    units. They have in the apt, street, post code, country, state
    localised with validation tables that are frequently updated.

    They display the address with increasing levels of fullness depending
    on how much screen space is available.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Apr 25, 2012
  9. On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:07:42 -0700, markspace wrote:

    > It's a very large amount of code with all of the Java doc comments
    > removed,

    i.e., made almost completely useless. IME any comment-free class library
    is worthless. I do not expect to read source in order to use any library
    regardless of whom, including myself, wrote it.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Apr 25, 2012
  10. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    Roedy Greenæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8下åˆ9時47分51秒寫é“:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:18:25 -0700 (PDT), Peter <>
    >
    > >What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    > we need a better way of picking dates. I did one with spinners. See
    > http://mindprod.com/products1.html#SPINNER
    >
    > We need a better colourpicker.
    >
    > See http://mindprod.com/project/jcolourchooser.html
    >
    > We need a component that display currency is local currency based to
    > today's exchange rate. See http://mindprod.com/applet/currcon.html
    >
    > How about a component that treats international addresses as atomic
    > units. They have in the apt, street, post code, country, state
    > localised with validation tables that are frequently updated.
    >
    > They display the address with increasing levels of fullness depending
    > on how much screen space is available.
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > http://mindprod.com
    > When you were a child, if you did your own experiment
    > to see if it was better to put to cocoa into your cup first
    > or the hot milk first, then you likely have the programmer gene..

    good stuff, I am creating a Outlook Panel. I need it for my other project
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012
  11. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    markspaceæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ5時42分43秒寫é“:
    > On 4/24/2012 11:18 AM, Peter wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > > I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

    > Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    > make one. With vim.

    I use eclipse to build it, so no build file.
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012
  12. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ6時07分11秒寫é“:
    > markspace wrote:
    > > Peter wrote:
    > >> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

    > > Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    > > make one. With vim.

    > And vigor?
    >
    > Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and whatits purpose is?
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    want to enhance swing component
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012
  13. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    markspaceæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月25日星期三UTC+8上åˆ6時07分27秒寫é“:
    > On 4/24/2012 1:26 PM, Lew wrote:
    > > Peter wrote:
    > >> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, hðšðšðš™://code.google.ðšŒÈ«ð—†/ðš™/peter-swing/
    > >> I am going to make Breadcrumb.
    > >>
    > >> What GUI component you like but doesn't provide in JFC?

    > > What are these? What are their advantages? Why are you telling us?
    > >

    > He's telling us he plagiarized the code from the OpenJDK:
    >

    > package com.peterswing;
    > public class MetalBumps implements Icon {
    >
    > static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    >
    > protected int xBumps;
    > protected int yBumps;
    > protected Color topColor;
    > protected Color shadowColor;
    > protected Color backColor;
    >

    > /*
    > 2 * Copyright (c) 1998, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All
    > rights reserved.
    > 3 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.
    >
    > 26 package javax.swing.plaf.metal;
    >
    > 43 class MetalBumps implements Icon {
    > 44
    > 45 static final Color ALPHA = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    > 46
    > 47 protected int xBumps;
    > 48 protected int yBumps;
    > 49 protected Color topColor;
    > 50 protected Color shadowColor;
    > 51 protected Color backColor;
    >

    > <http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>
    >
    > <http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/source/browse/trunk/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>

    peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized anotheropen source project?
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012
  14. Peter

    Lew Guest

    Peter Cheung wrote:
    > peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized another open source project?

    It definitely appears that way from what people report.

    Plagiarism is plagiarism whether from open source, to open source or whatever.
    It's plagiarism to pass off a play of Shakespeare's as your own, is it not?

    Furthermore, unlike the Shakespeare example, if the accusations be true then
    the "peter-swing" spammer violated copyright, which is legally actionable,
    beyond plagiarism.

    Wasn't it Tivo or Cisco or someone like that that got in trouble for using
    Linux and not distributing source code or acknowledging the copyright or such?

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, Apr 26, 2012
  15. Peter

    Lew Guest

    Peter Cheung wrote:
    > Lew 上åˆ6時07分11秒寫é“:
    >> markspace wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
    >>> make one. With vim.

    >> And vigor?
    >>
    >> Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lew

    Please don't quote sigs.

    > want to enhance swing component

    Huh? With someone else's code?

    Who wants to, you?

    Are you claiming that your offering enhances something, or simply stating that
    someone wants to?

    In what way does your offering enhance something, specifically?

    Tell us why we should look at it, and please answer the accusations of
    plagiarism and copyright violation that others have leveled.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, Apr 26, 2012
  16. Peter

    markspace Guest

    On 4/26/2012 6:30 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:

    > peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
    > another open source project?

    Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
    restrictions. When you read the line below, what does it mean to you?
    And why did you remove not only the copyright notice, but also ALL Java
    doc comments?

    markspace, Apr 26, 2012
  17. Peter

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Peter Cheung wrote:
    >> peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
    >> another open source project?

    > Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
    > restrictions. When you read the line below, what does it mean to you?
    > And why did you remove not only the copyright notice, but also ALL Java
    > doc comments?
    >
    >>> * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.

    Quite aside from the ethical and legal malfeasance, the engineering basis for including source to the core Java libraries as your own is non-existent.Platform classes are already part of the platform; why would "peter-swing"need to copy them at all, much less steal them?

    This raises the distinct possibility that the code itself, quite aside fromthe documentation lack, the ethics lack, the build script lack, and the legal dodginess, is crap. I cannot expect that a product built on the unnecessary duplication of classes guaranteed to be present anyway would be otherwise.

    I am willing to hear countervailing evidence, but so far the OP has only responded with ambiguous sentence fragments and avoidance of the issues raised, or to the very limited extent that he responded, weak excuses.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 26, 2012
  18. On 4/26/2012 8:30 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
    > peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized another open source project?

    Open source code is still copyrighted, and violating the license of open
    source code is still illegal.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 26, 2012
  19. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月27日星期五UTC+8上åˆ1時04分36秒寫é“:
    > markspace wrote:
    > > Peter Cheung wrote:
    > >> peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
    > >> another open source project?

    > > Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
    > > restrictions. When you read the line below, what does it mean to you?
    > > And why did you remove not only the copyright notice, but also ALL Java
    > > doc comments?

    > Quite aside from the ethical and legal malfeasance, the engineering basisfor including source to the core Java libraries as your own is non-existent. Platform classes are already part of the platform; why would "peter-swing" need to copy them at all, much less steal them?
    >
    > This raises the distinct possibility that the code itself, quite aside from the documentation lack, the ethics lack, the build script lack, and the legal dodginess, is crap. I cannot expect that a product built on the unnecessary duplication of classes guaranteed to be present anyway would be otherwise.
    >
    > I am willing to hear countervailing evidence, but so far the OP has only responded with ambiguous sentence fragments and avoidance of the issues raised, or to the very limited extent that he responded, weak excuses.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Actually I don't need MetalBump.java. I removed it from my project. Please update from svn.
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012
  20. Peter

    Peter Cheung Guest

    Lewæ–¼ 2012å¹´4月26日星期四UTC+8下åˆ10時40分12秒寫é“:
    > Peter Cheung wrote:

    > >> And vigor?
    > >>
    > >> Since you looked at it, would you please tell us what you think, and what its purpose is?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Lew

    > Please don't quote sigs.
    >
    > > want to enhance swing component

    > Huh? With someone else's code?
    >
    > Who wants to, you?
    >
    > Are you claiming that your offering enhances something, or simply statingthat
    > someone wants to?
    >
    > In what way does your offering enhance something, specifically?
    >
    > Tell us why we should look at it, and please answer the accusations of
    > plagiarism and copyright violation that others have leveled.
    >
    > --
    > Lew
    > Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Friz.jpg

    I was making a new Swing theme, and some swing components.
    Peter Cheung, Apr 26, 2012