    It helps in wading through these serious tomes.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, May 7, 2004

  2. On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:12:30 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:

    > I got an email from Peter van der Linden today. He was once a Sun
    > employee very active in these newsgroups and wrote one of the FAQs.

    A great one, I might add, that has unfortunately
    disappeared from its original location/s.

    > He has written a new book on Java 1.5. I will be proofing/reviewing
    > it for him.

    You lucky thing! I will look forward
    to reading it myself.

    > We wondering what happened to him just a few days ago.
    >
    > He has a unique European way of writing that tickles my funny bone.
    >
    > It helps in wading through these serious tomes.

    If you get a chance, could you ask who's
    permission I would need to rehost his
    original FAQ?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, May 7, 2004

  3. Roedy Green wrote:
    > I got an email from Peter van der Linden today. He was once a Sun
    > employee very active in these newsgroups and wrote one of the FAQs.

    When you talk to him next time, can you please forward the following
    questions to him?

    - Has he abandoned the maintenance of the comp.lang.java.programmer FAQ
    completely (last update I am aware of was in 2001)?

    - If he abandoned the FAQ, would he be willing to transfer the
    maintenance to someone else (no, by asking the question I don't
    volunteer :), I do my fair share with the comp.lang.java.gui FAQ)

    - Is the latest FAQ version available somewhere in a complete, intact
    form? (the links on afu.com were badly broken, now even the FAQ's TOC on
    afu.com is gone).

    - If not, would he be willing to provide a potential new maintainer with
    the latest copy?

    Thanks,

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, May 7, 2004
  4. On Fri, 07 May 2004 09:38:42 +0200, Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> I got an email from Peter van der Linden today.
    >> He ...wrote one of the FAQs.

    > - If he abandoned the FAQ, would he be willing to transfer the
    > maintenance to someone else (no, by asking the question I don't
    > volunteer :), ..

    I volunteer.

    > - Is the latest FAQ version available somewhere in a complete, intact
    > form? (the links on afu.com were badly broken, now even the FAQ's TOC on
    > afu.com is gone).

    I think I found it on various occasions,
    including once in the 'wayback' machine.

    Looked like it could use some work though.

    > - If not, would he be willing to provide a potential new maintainer with
    > the latest copy?

    Or that.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, May 7, 2004
  5. On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:12:30 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >I got an email from Peter van der Linden today. He was once a Sun
    >employee very active in these newsgroups and wrote one of the FAQs.
    >
    >He has written a new book on Java 1.5. I will be proofing/reviewing
    >it for him.

    I'd be more than happy to review it for TechBookReport once it's
    published!

    Pan
    ===========================
    TechBookReport - http://www.techbookreport.com
    TechBookReport, May 7, 2004
  6. "Roedy Green" <> schreef in
    bericht news:...
    > I got an email from Peter van der Linden today. He was once a Sun
    > employee very active in these newsgroups and wrote one of the FAQs.
    >
    > He has written a new book on Java 1.5. I will be proofing/reviewing
    > it for him.
    >
    > He has a unique European way of writing that tickles my funny bone.

    Yeah, well, his humour isn't always nice. Here's a chapter from his (I guess
    previous) book from 2002:

    (citation starts)
    After that unpleasant business with the glitter booby trap I installed in
    the VP's office, it would have been futile to ask the facilities guys to
    replace the motion sensor with a regular switch. So I considered other
    alternatives. A gerbil on an exercise wheel? They're too high-maintenance,
    noisy, smelly, and they keep erratic hours. One of my colleagues suggested
    installing folks from the marketing department in my office and having them
    flap their arms intermittently, thus getting some productive use out of
    them. I did consider it, but they have some of the same disadvantages as the
    gerbil, and may not be so easy to train.
    (end of citation)

    I don't know how it happened, or how it got started, but somewhere along the
    line it became "ok" for developers to basically piss on their colleagues
    that try to ensure anybody gives a damn about what they've developed. It's
    one of the things that makes this industry a depressing place to work, and
    I'm disappointed that this kind of crap mentality can seep into a book that
    otherwise purports to be serious.

    If the people focusing on customers and the people focusing on technology
    could learn to communicate better, this industry would doubtless be in far
    better shape. Hopefully the review process will do some good, Roedy.

    Carla
    Carla Cretini, May 8, 2004
  7. Roedy Green

    marcus Guest

    I got "Just Java" back when it was 1.1. Peter correctly anticipated
    literally about a dozen problems I encountered coming from the C world
    (I'm an old-timer). Time and time again I found myself saying, "Hmm,
    this isn't right -- didn't Peter warn me about this . . . "

    Then, when I had a sticky problem and posted it to c.l.j.* I was
    thrilled to have Peter reply personally.

    marcus, May 10, 2004
  8. Roedy Green

    marcus Guest

    Wow -- he didn't slam anyone personally, yet you feel the need to slam
    him. Crap mentality? Feeling a little insecure, are we?

    "I don't know how it happened, or how it got started, but somewhere
    along the line it became "ok" for developers to basically piss on their
    colleagues"

    Started around the time fire was discovered and the marketing guys
    wanted to know what color to make it, and whether it could be inserted
    nasally (Douglas Adams). Get real -- people in a given profession spend
    half their time bashing people in their own profession, and half the
    time bashing people in other professions.

    I happen to be a published author, a jewelry designer, a web developer
    (DailyCrossword.com -- wanna buy it?), and now a t-shirt manufacturer /
    distributor / marketer / retailer (read that start-up). I am a equal
    opportunity basher, myself.

    -- clh

    marcus, May 10, 2004