    tables or style sheets for putting the photos. What would you suggest me?

    Thanks in advance
    Rob
    Robert S., Oct 15, 2006

  2. Robert S.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Robert S." <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to use
    > tables or style sheets for putting the photos. What would you suggest me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Rob

    You could take a look at

    http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/galleryTemplate/galleryBo
    rderedDivd.html

    for some ideas.

    Some improvements have been suggested here since this was made...

    Apart from other considerations, the advantage of these non-table
    ways is the wrapping feature. No need to guess how many
    thumbnails per line, (always never quite satisfying people with
    different screen sizes).

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2006

  3. Robert S.

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Robert S. wrote:

    > I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to
    > use tables or style sheets for putting the photos. What would you
    > suggest me?

    If there are captions and different sizes of pictures: use a table for
    *every* image:
    http://www.hermansmith.nl/thema_roosje.php

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/
    Nico Schuyt, Oct 16, 2006
  4. Robert S.

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Robert S. wrote:

    > I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to use
    > tables or style sheets for putting the photos.

    First of all, there are any number of scripts out there that do this
    automatically, along with auto-thumbnailing. You have to have a very
    good reason before it's worth doing it yourself.

    A "gallery" needs two parts: menus of many images and one-image views.
    The "single image" view can be done perfectly well with CSS and I see
    few reasons to use a <table> for it.
    Here's a crude format I use for blogging (does text alongside, although
    the CSS is fairly ugly):
    http://codesmiths.com/dingbat/lj/200608_wales/

    When you're showing "lists of images" then there's some argument for
    shoing them in a <table>. If this becomes two-dimensional, then it's a
    good argument for <table>. If you want "grid-like layout" (i.e. a
    single dimensional list wants common sizing between list elements,
    rather than fluidly sizing each element) then that's a good argument
    for using a <table> too.

    I wouldn't use a <table> just to arrange captions around a single image
    though, whether this was a one-off for one large image on a page, or if
    it were a repeated structure shared across multiple images in a gallery.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 16, 2006