photo gallery css or html

Robert S.

Hi,

I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to use
tables or style sheets for putting the photos. What would you suggest me?

Thanks in advance
Rob

dorayme

"Robert S. said:
Hi,

I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to use
tables or style sheets for putting the photos. What would you suggest me?

Thanks in advance
Rob

You could take a look at

http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/galleryTemplate/galleryBo
rderedDivd.html

for some ideas.

Some improvements have been suggested here since this was made...

Apart from other considerations, the advantage of these non-table
ways is the wrapping feature. No need to guess how many
thumbnails per line, (always never quite satisfying people with
different screen sizes).

Andy Dingley

Robert said:
I would like to create a photo gallery. I'm asking myself whether to use
tables or style sheets for putting the photos.

First of all, there are any number of scripts out there that do this
automatically, along with auto-thumbnailing. You have to have a very
good reason before it's worth doing it yourself.

A "gallery" needs two parts: menus of many images and one-image views.
The "single image" view can be done perfectly well with CSS and I see
few reasons to use a <table> for it.
Here's a crude format I use for blogging (does text alongside, although
the CSS is fairly ugly):
http://codesmiths.com/dingbat/lj/200608_wales/

When you're showing "lists of images" then there's some argument for
shoing them in a <table>. If this becomes two-dimensional, then it's a
good argument for <table>. If you want "grid-like layout" (i.e. a
single dimensional list wants common sizing between list elements,
rather than fluidly sizing each element) then that's a good argument
for using a <table> too.

I wouldn't use a <table> just to arrange captions around a single image
though, whether this was a one-off for one large image on a page, or if
it were a repeated structure shared across multiple images in a gallery.