PHP/MySQL blogging software?

Leif K-Brooks

I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.

kayodeok

Its license looks icky. I can't distribute modifications I make
even if I don't charge? Come on.

Some Bloggers have built their own standards compliant Blogging
System.

If this interests you (it interests me), have a look at the archives
at http://simon.incutio.com

He has his own personal blogging system built around PHP, Python and
MySQL - I believe he has detailed the procedures somewhere in his
blog unfortunately, my knowledge of PHP and MySQL is patchy so I
haven't been able to give it a go...

David Dorward

Leif said:
Its license looks icky. I can't distribute modifications I make even if
I don't charge? Come on.

You can write plugins for it and distribute those though.

Leif K-Brooks

Leif said:
I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.

And to (I think) answer my own question, Nucleus seems nice. Does anyone
have experience with it?

Al

Hi:

OK I give up. What is a blog? To me a blog looks like an article. What am I
missing? What is "standards-compliant blog-type software" ? It just looks
like text to me; so where goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

Thanks,
Al

Leif K-Brooks

Al said:
OK I give up. What is a blog? To me a blog looks like an article. What am I
missing? What is "standards-compliant blog-type software" ? It just looks
like text to me; so where goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

First of all, don't top-post. http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

Anyway, a blog is a web site with articles arranged chronologically.
Sort of like a diary that everyone can read.

By standards-compliant, I mean software which creates blogs complying
with W3C (X)HTML and CSS standards.

kayodeok

Al said:
OK I give up. What is a blog?
http://www.robotwisdom.com/weblogs/

To me a blog looks like an
article. What am I missing? What is "standards-compliant
blog-type software" ? It just looks like text to me; so where
goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

With a "blog-type" software,
1. You write an article and file it under a unique name in the
Archives
2. Your Front Page is automatically updated with the article in
question including links to the Archived Article (sometimes
referred to as permalinks)
3. The blogging software keeps a history of previous articles
(preferrably searchable)
4. The blogging software also outputs an RSS File (0.91, 1.0, 2.0,
take your pick)

Without a blogging software, stuff like this are done using flat
files. Unfortunately, in order to automate this stuff, it is
possible that some blogging software produces invalid code (HTML,
XHTML, CSS) and this is what the OP was referring to.

....unfortunately, I have a horror of Content Management Software
(we use one at work and the code is horrendous).

Matthias Gutfeldt

Leif said:
I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.

I wrote my own, it's a nice little exercise. And it's really extremely
simple, especially if you ignore all that new-fangled modern stuff like
blogrolls, trackback, ping, comments, feeds, etc. (even adding the
new-fangled stuff wouldn't take up much time, but I just don't see the
point).

If you don't want to write it yourself, I'm sure there are a couple
scripts over at hotscripts or sourceforge et al.

Matthias