  1. I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
    with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
    blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 29, 2003

    MoveableType <http://www.moveabletype.org/>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > MoveableType <http://www.moveabletype.org/>

    Its license looks icky. I can't distribute modifications I make even if
    I don't charge? Come on.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Leif K-Brooks

    kayodeok Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote in

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> MoveableType <http://www.moveabletype.org/>

    > Its license looks icky. I can't distribute modifications I make
    > even if I don't charge? Come on.

    Some Bloggers have built their own standards compliant Blogging
    System.

    If this interests you (it interests me), have a look at the archives
    at http://simon.incutio.com

    He has his own personal blogging system built around PHP, Python and
    MySQL - I believe he has detailed the procedures somewhere in his
    blog unfortunately, my knowledge of PHP and MySQL is patchy so I
    haven't been able to give it a go...

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    >> I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP

    > MoveableType <http://www.moveabletype.org/>

    .... is written in Perl.

    Its good software, shame about the license.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    >> MoveableType <http://www.moveabletype.org/>

    > Its license looks icky. I can't distribute modifications I make even if
    > I don't charge? Come on.

    You can write plugins for it and distribute those though.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
    > with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
    > blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.

    And to (I think) answer my own question, Nucleus seems nice. Does anyone
    have experience with it?
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Leif K-Brooks

    Al Guest

    Hi:

    OK I give up. What is a blog? To me a blog looks like an article. What am I
    missing? What is "standards-compliant blog-type software" ? It just looks
    like text to me; so where goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

    Thanks,
    Al

    Al, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Al wrote:

    > OK I give up. What is a blog? To me a blog looks like an article. What am I
    > missing? What is "standards-compliant blog-type software" ? It just looks
    > like text to me; so where goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

    First of all, don't top-post. http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

    Anyway, a blog is a web site with articles arranged chronologically.
    Sort of like a diary that everyone can read.

    By standards-compliant, I mean software which creates blogs complying
    with W3C (X)HTML and CSS standards.
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 29, 2003
  10. Leif K-Brooks

    kayodeok Guest

    http://www.robotwisdom.com/weblogs/

    > To me a blog looks like an
    > article. What am I missing? What is "standards-compliant
    > blog-type software" ? It just looks like text to me; so where
    > goes this " standards-compliant " come in.

    With a "blog-type" software,
    1. You write an article and file it under a unique name in the
    Archives
    2. Your Front Page is automatically updated with the article in
    question including links to the Archived Article (sometimes
    referred to as permalinks)
    3. The blogging software keeps a history of previous articles
    (preferrably searchable)
    4. The blogging software also outputs an RSS File (0.91, 1.0, 2.0,
    take your pick)

    Without a blogging software, stuff like this are done using flat
    files. Unfortunately, in order to automate this stuff, it is
    possible that some blogging software produces invalid code (HTML,
    XHTML, CSS) and this is what the OP was referring to.

    ....unfortunately, I have a horror of Content Management Software
    (we use one at work and the code is horrendous).

    kayodeok, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > I'm looking for standards-compliant blog-type software written in PHP
    > with a MySQL database. I'd like it better if it can do more than be a
    > blog (ability to add dynamic pages), but a plain blog would be fine.

    I wrote my own, it's a nice little exercise. And it's really extremely
    simple, especially if you ignore all that new-fangled modern stuff like
    blogrolls, trackback, ping, comments, feeds, etc. (even adding the
    new-fangled stuff wouldn't take up much time, but I just don't see the
    point).

    If you don't want to write it yourself, I'm sure there are a couple
    scripts over at hotscripts or sourceforge et al.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 29, 2003