    Does the devil write these tutes?

    Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 12, 2005

  2. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:

    > * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

    Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
    interested:

    GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
    VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
    WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator

    Plenty more abound.

    > What sort of crazy answer is this?

    A correct one.

    > Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

    Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 12, 2005

  3. dorayme wrote:

    > At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
    >
    > What is PHP?
    >
    > and answers firstly:
    >
    > * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
    >
    > What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
    > Does the devil write these tutes?
    >
    > Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
    >
    > dorayme

    Isn't it like

    - "GNU is not Unix"
    - I don't like recursion, because I don't like recursion

    recursive definition, as they say.

    Best
    Animesh Kumar, Aug 12, 2005
  4. dorayme

    boclair Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
    >
    > What is PHP?
    >
    > and answers firstly:
    >
    > * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
    >
    > What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
    > Does the devil write these tutes?
    >
    > Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
    >
    > dorayme

    What about "Personal Home Page"? Would that improve the mood!

    See http://au3.php.net/history

    Louise
    boclair, Aug 12, 2005
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: boclair <>
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
    >>
    >> What is PHP?
    >>
    >> and answers firstly:
    >>
    >> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
    >>
    >> What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
    >> Does the devil write these tutes?
    >>
    >> Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
    >>
    >> dorayme
    >>

    > What about "Personal Home Page"? Would that improve the mood!
    >
    > See http://au3.php.net/history
    >
    > Louise

    Yes Louise, it does! I am quite cheered now... thanks...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 12, 2005
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Mark Parnell <>

    > Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:
    >
    >> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

    > Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
    > interested:
    >
    > GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
    > VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
    > WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator
    >
    > Plenty more abound.
    >
    >> What sort of crazy answer is this?

    > A correct one.
    >
    >> Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

    > Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

    OK, it is correct. It is a member of a class. But I doubt that their
    purpose is to make life difficult. I think you must be kidding me. You
    would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you. Methinks the
    writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
    might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
    in-groups when I am outside...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 12, 2005
  7. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:

    > OK, it is correct.

    Yes.

    > It is a member of a class.

    You lost me here.

    > But I doubt that their
    > purpose is to make life difficult.

    Only for you. They knew that one day you would be reading that page, and
    that an answer like that would upset you. That's why they wrote it that
    way. Purely to annoy you.

    > I think you must be kidding me. You
    > would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you.

    Who, me? Never! *snigger*

    > Methinks the
    > writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
    > might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
    > in-groups when I am outside...

    But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
    language? The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
    not its heritage.

    If you want to learn about the history of PHP, you'd be better off
    looking at the site Louise pointed you to, or something like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#History

    Mark Parnell, Aug 12, 2005
  8. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Mark Parnell <>
    >
    >> It is a member of a class.

    > You lost me here.

    The class of recursive acronyms...

    > But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
    > language?

    Yes, to be honest... I did! Just a little hint would have done me. That's
    all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
    about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

    > The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
    > not its heritage.

    Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is. I simply never
    thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
    something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there, I will tread
    carefully from now on...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 12, 2005
  9. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:
    >> From: Mark Parnell <>
    >>

    > The class of recursive acronyms...

    Ah, thought you were talking about a custom PHP class you had created.
    But you probably haven't got that far through the tutorial yet I guess.

    >> But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
    >> language?
    >>

    > Yes, to be honest... I did!

    It would never have occurred to me to do that.

    > Just a little hint would have done me. That's
    > all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
    > about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

    Just my opinion. Should have said that.

    > Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is.

    I wasn't talking about PHP tutorials specifically, but tutorials in
    general. I wouldn't ever expect a tutorial to teach me the history of
    whatever it was I was trying to learn, unless it is directly relevant to
    actually using it. Maybe it's just me.

    > I simply never
    > thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
    > something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there,

    That's certainly true. Here are some more:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/uselessfacts/rules/001.html

    > I will tread
    > carefully from now on...

    You're a strange, strange, little man. Or woman. Or whatever you are.
    :)

    Mark Parnell, Aug 12, 2005
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
    >
    > What is PHP?
    >
    > and answers firstly:
    >
    > * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
    >
    > What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

    Recursive acronyms are common in the computing world.

    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/R/recursive-acronym.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2005
  11. dorayme

    Simon Guest

    >> What about "Personal Home Page"? Would that improve the mood!
    >>
    >> See http://au3.php.net/history
    >>
    >> Louise

    > Yes Louise, it does! I am quite cheered now... thanks...
    >
    > dorayme

    "Personal Home Page" might have been the original meaning of the acronyme
    but it was changed later as "Personal Home Page" was no longer true.

    PHP does stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" since version 3 and
    claiming that it stands for "Personal Home Page" is simply wrong.

    The tutorial was right is what it was stating.

    Simon
    Simon, Aug 12, 2005
  12. dorayme

    Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix

    Which is in turn an open source pun on the original Xinu and "Xinu Is
    Not Unix"
    , Aug 12, 2005
  13. wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >

    >>GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix

    > Which is in turn an open source pun on the original Xinu and "Xinu Is
    > Not Unix"

    And someone said that GNU's Not Unix was the first one. Does he stands
    corrected?
    Animesh Kumar, Aug 12, 2005
  14. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Simon quothed:

    > PHP does stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" since version 3 and
    > claiming that it stands for "Personal Home Page" is simply wrong.

    No matter what you say, in my circles it stands for "Pooped His Pants."
    (-Or "..Her.." as the case may be.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 12, 2005
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Mark Parnell <>

    >> Just a little hint would have done me. That's
    >> all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and
    >> on
    >> about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

    > Just my opinion. Should have said that.

    You did no wrong. Your point of view is also quite legitimate. No need
    to say it was your opinion. I knew it was not Roger Rabbit's. Newbies
    approach new things different to the way non-newbies think newbies
    approach things. Newbies can be easily blocked or made to feel uneasy
    by the simplest things that do not occur to experts or the pure of
    mind.

    >> Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is.

    >> I wasn't talking about PHP tutorials specifically, but tutorials in
    >> general. I wouldn't ever expect a tutorial to teach me the history
    >> of
    >> whatever it was I was trying to learn, unless it is directly
    >> relevant to
    >> actually using it. Maybe it's just me.

    No, not just you at all. Me too. A hint, a brief word, was what I
    wanted, not a history.

    >> You're a strange, strange, little man. Or woman. Or whatever you are.
    >> :)

    Well, as it happens, I *am* very small. I had to be to get here from a
    distant planet inhabited by sexless beings. How big are you?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 13, 2005
  16. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>

    > Recursive acronyms are common in the computing world.
    >

    > http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/R/recursive-acronym.html

    Yes, I am now on to this one. I even like it. My frame of mind is different
    to what it was two days ago. This newsgroup generates more heads in me than
    anyone can beat with a stick...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 13, 2005
  17. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:

    > No, not just you at all. Me too. A hint, a brief word, was what I
    > wanted, not a history.

    Fair enough. I can understand that.

    > Well, as it happens, I *am* very small. I had to be to get here from a
    > distant planet inhabited by sexless beings.

    Ah, that explains a lot.

    > How big are you?

    That's a very personal question I'm not willing to answer on a public
    newsgroup. ;-)

    Mark Parnell, Aug 15, 2005
  18. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Mark Parnell <>
    >
    >> Well, as it happens, I *am* very small. I had to be to get here from
    >> a distant planet inhabited by sexless beings.

    > Ah, that explains a lot.

    It does? Well then, you are obviously a human who can use information
    to good effect. Perhaps it will help further to know that in my native
    state I was very big indeed. It was why I was chosen to infilitrate the
    earth, much could be burned up on entry leaving enough material to
    still be a nuisance, my masters mumbled things about there needing to
    be enough left to make a difference to earthling killfiles - a remark I
    never properly understood till now.

    >> How big are you?

    > That's a very personal question I'm not willing to answer on a public
    > newsgroup. ;-)

    Human beings are strange! They ask and imply things about others that
    they are shy of revealing about themselves. I have reported this to my
    masters, they say to keep observing and not to worry...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 15, 2005
  19. dorayme

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, dorayme <> said:

    > Human beings are strange! They ask and imply things about others that
    > they are shy of revealing about themselves.

    Why is that so strange?

    > I have reported this to my
    > masters, they say to keep observing and not to worry...

    Watch out - they'll leave you in the lurch when we work out where you
    are. They aren't going to come and rescue you.

    BWAHAHAHA!

    Mark Parnell, Aug 15, 2005