php tutorials...

dorayme

At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:

What is PHP?

and answers firstly:

* PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
Does the devil write these tutes?

Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
* PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
interested:

GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator

Plenty more abound.
What sort of crazy answer is this?

A correct one.
Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

Animesh Kumar

dorayme said:
At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:

What is PHP?

and answers firstly:

* PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
Does the devil write these tutes?

Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...

dorayme

Isn't it like

- "GNU is not Unix"
- I don't like recursion, because I don't like recursion

recursive definition, as they say.

Best

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
interested:

GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator

Plenty more abound.

A correct one.

Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

OK, it is correct. It is a member of a class. But I doubt that their
purpose is to make life difficult. I think you must be kidding me. You
would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you. Methinks the
writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
in-groups when I am outside...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
OK, it is correct.
Yes.

It is a member of a class.

You lost me here.
But I doubt that their
purpose is to make life difficult.

Only for you. They knew that one day you would be reading that page, and
that an answer like that would upset you. That's why they wrote it that
way. Purely to annoy you.
I think you must be kidding me. You
would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you.

Who, me? Never! *snigger*
Methinks the
writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
in-groups when I am outside...

But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
language? The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
not its heritage.

If you want to learn about the history of PHP, you'd be better off
looking at the site Louise pointed you to, or something like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#History

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
You lost me here.

The class of recursive acronyms...
But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
language?

Yes, to be honest... I did! Just a little hint would have done me. That's
all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!
The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
not its heritage.

Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is. I simply never
thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there, I will tread
carefully from now on...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
The class of recursive acronyms...

Ah, thought you were talking about a custom PHP class you had created.
But you probably haven't got that far through the tutorial yet I guess.
Yes, to be honest... I did!

It would never have occurred to me to do that.
Just a little hint would have done me. That's
all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

Just my opinion. Should have said that.
Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is.

I wasn't talking about PHP tutorials specifically, but tutorials in
general. I wouldn't ever expect a tutorial to teach me the history of
whatever it was I was trying to learn, unless it is directly relevant to
actually using it. Maybe it's just me.
I simply never
thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there,

That's certainly true. Here are some more:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/uselessfacts/rules/001.html
I will tread
carefully from now on...

You're a strange, strange, little man. Or woman. Or whatever you are.
:)

Simon

Yes Louise, it does! I am quite cheered now... thanks...

dorayme

"Personal Home Page" might have been the original meaning of the acronyme
but it was changed later as "Personal Home Page" was no longer true.

PHP does stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" since version 3 and
claiming that it stands for "Personal Home Page" is simply wrong.

The tutorial was right is what it was stating.

Simon

Animesh Kumar

Mark Parnell wrote:

Which is in turn an open source pun on the original Xinu and "Xinu Is
Not Unix"

And someone said that GNU's Not Unix was the first one. Does he stands
corrected?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Simon quothed:
PHP does stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" since version 3 and
claiming that it stands for "Personal Home Page" is simply wrong.

No matter what you say, in my circles it stands for "Pooped His Pants."
(-Or "..Her.." as the case may be.)

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
Just my opinion. Should have said that.

You did no wrong. Your point of view is also quite legitimate. No need
to say it was your opinion. I knew it was not Roger Rabbit's. Newbies
approach new things different to the way non-newbies think newbies
approach things. Newbies can be easily blocked or made to feel uneasy
by the simplest things that do not occur to experts or the pure of
mind.

No, not just you at all. Me too. A hint, a brief word, was what I
wanted, not a history.

Well, as it happens, I *am* very small. I had to be to get here from a
distant planet inhabited by sexless beings. How big are you?

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
No, not just you at all. Me too. A hint, a brief word, was what I
wanted, not a history.

Fair enough. I can understand that.
Well, as it happens, I *am* very small. I had to be to get here from a
distant planet inhabited by sexless beings.

Ah, that explains a lot.
How big are you?

That's a very personal question I'm not willing to answer on a public
newsgroup. ;-)

dorayme

From: Mark Parnell said:
Ah, that explains a lot.
It does? Well then, you are obviously a human who can use information
to good effect. Perhaps it will help further to know that in my native
state I was very big indeed. It was why I was chosen to infilitrate the
earth, much could be burned up on entry leaving enough material to
still be a nuisance, my masters mumbled things about there needing to
be enough left to make a difference to earthling killfiles - a remark I
never properly understood till now.
That's a very personal question I'm not willing to answer on a public
newsgroup. ;-)

Human beings are strange! They ask and imply things about others that
they are shy of revealing about themselves. I have reported this to my
masters, they say to keep observing and not to worry...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Human beings are strange! They ask and imply things about others that
they are shy of revealing about themselves.

Why is that so strange?
I have reported this to my
masters, they say to keep observing and not to worry...

Watch out - they'll leave you in the lurch when we work out where you
are. They aren't going to come and rescue you.

BWAHAHAHA!