Ping Another Server's IP???

David Lozzi

I need to determine from ASP if the database server is up and running, and
if it isn't ping another database server. I posted this before about a
different client, and I was told to request a file from the IIS server, and
if I cannot retrieve it, the server is not there. I cannot use this method
due to one database box being Solaris and the other UNIX, so I need to ping.

Thanks!
David Lozzi

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Couldn't you simply try establishing a database connection to the other
database server? That's what it's there for, after all?

Besides, pinging the server only tells you that the external nic is enabled
and it is accepting traffic. Never mind that the server might be set to
"hide" from pings (e.g. ping www.microsoft.com, you know it exists, right?),
even if a ping is positive, that doesn't tell you whether the database
service is running, or if it will accept your credentials when you log on.