Plan 9's c compiler

Phred Phungus

I've been reading up on the whole Plan 9 thing. Links here:

Brian Kernigan's treatment:

http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/README

The wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9

They always talk about portability, but if you have to drag the Plan 9
OS around in order to use Pcc, well that's almost the precise opposite.
I looked at the package manager for ubuntu to see if a Pcc were
available, but got nothing.

My question is whether I can get Pcc without having to create a Plan 9
partition.

Thanks for your comment and cheers,

Abubacker

I've been reading up on the whole Plan 9 thing. Links here:

Brian Kernigan's treatment:

http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/README

The wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9

They always talk about portability, but if you have to drag the Plan 9
OS around in order to use Pcc, well that's almost the precise opposite.
I looked at the package manager for ubuntu to see if a Pcc were
available, but got nothing.

My question is whether I can get Pcc without having to create a Plan 9
partition.

Thanks for your comment and cheers,

Dear friend ,
Pcc acts as a front-end to the Plan9 loaders and compilers ,but it is
a combination of
ANSI as well as POSIX standards , I also looked its directives style
that doesn't look weird.
not sure that whether it may run in windows , but I hope that it would
run in all the unix distribution, currently it is not available it may
be gettable in the future.

Phred Phungus

William said:
Do you want to cross-compile or are you merely interested in the Plan 9
additions to the C language?

C99 includes designated initializers--similar to "initialization indexes"
(GCC supports both syntactical forms)--and compound literals--"structure
display". Many compilers, including GCC, support anonymous unnamed structure
and union members. MSC, and GCC in MSC-compability mode, support tagged
unnamed members as well.

I'll cross compile sometime after I have
Hello plan 9 world
as output.

One thing I like about a dual-booting computer is that I have the
'merican OS, windows, and the hippy OS, ubuntu as differing platforms
just to see how code runs.

Part of my motivation is that gcc doesn't work for me effectively on
windows. I was hoping plan 9 could expose why I can use outlook express
but not differing combinations of gnu development tools.

Dan C

I'll cross compile sometime after I have Hello plan 9 world
as output.

One thing I like about a dual-booting computer is that I have the
'merican OS, windows, and the hippy OS, ubuntu as differing platforms
just to see how code runs.

Part of my motivation is that gcc doesn't work for me effectively on
windows. I was hoping plan 9 could expose why I can use outlook express
but not differing combinations of gnu development tools.

Bugger off, Win-droid.

Eric Sosman

[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:]
Bugger off, Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make
Usenet participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

Dan C

[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:] Bugger off,
Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make Usenet
participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

Oh look!

It's *yet* *another* drooling stooge of a Win-droid who thinks adding his
drivel is helpful.

Bugger off, Win-droid.

Seebs

[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:] Bugger off,
Win-droid.
The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make Usenet
participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.
It's *yet* *another* drooling stooge of a Win-droid who thinks adding his
drivel is helpful.

Well, uhm.

Eric Sosman is a regular poster who has demonstrated serious expertise in
C, offered detailed and helpful responses to a large number of posts, and
has generally been a beneficial contributor. I have never seen a post from
him which was not on the whole a reasonable contribution to the newsgroup,
whether in content or tone.

You posted an idiotic flame of a newbie. When called on it, you demonstrated
that your bigotry was at least consistent, but I'm not sure this is much of a
virtue. You've done nothing to show that you have an actual point.
Bugger off, Win-droid.

As a regular user of Ubuntu, who has pushed hard to get $DAYJOB's product to
support more releases of Ubuntu, and who has I think one netbook that still
has a Windows partition on it, let me say, and I mean this sincerely:

Please go use gentoo.

Thank you.

-s

Ersek, Laszlo

For a while I used the (now defunct) Core Linux Distribution.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.coredistro.sourceforge.net

IIRC it was based on Linux From Scratch. About the only binary packages
it shipped was the kernel, glibc, gcc, wget, and perhaps nano. The
kernel was the first thing one replaced after installation.

Then I opted for LFS itself. I installed all packages in separate
directories under /opt from source, and everything was correctly
symlinked under /usr/local with an nftw()-based utility I wrote. I wrote
my init scripts and every other file under /etc (except /etc/shadow and
the like). Finally I couldn't cope with the constant stream of security
vulnerabilities in all programs, and switched to Debian in Dec 2005 for
that sole reason.

Now my complete desktop environment (after logging in via xdm) consists
of ssh-agent, a user instance of dbus, and icewm (8 processes in total).
As a terminal emulator, I use xterm.

I hope this is "hard-core" enough for you to read on.

It's *yet* *another* drooling stooge of a Win-droid who thinks adding his
drivel is helpful.

*plonk*

lacos

Eric Sosman

[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:] Bugger off,
Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make Usenet
participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

Oh look!

It's *yet* *another* drooling stooge of a Win-droid who thinks adding his
drivel is helpful.

Bugger off, Win-droid.

Unfocused, thoughtless aggression of this kind is often just
the outward manifestation of a nagging physical discomfort. I'm
sorry you're in pain, but be brave: It will pass. As soon as you
find a new spot for your head, you'll sit much more comfortably.

<PLONK>

Phil Carmody

Eric Sosman said:
[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:]
Bugger off, Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make
Usenet participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

His .sig pointed to http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
However, the real usenet improvement project has URL
http://improve-usenet.org/ accept no immitations, middlemen,
or proxies.

Phil

Phil Carmody

Seebs said:
On 2/26/2010 8:50 AM, Dan C wrote:
[...]

So you're saying -funroll-loops really is faster then?

Phil

Phil Carmody

Andy said:
Phil said:
Eric Sosman said:
On 2/26/2010 8:50 AM, Dan C wrote:
[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:]
Bugger off, Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make
Usenet participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

His .sig pointed to http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
However, the real usenet improvement project has URL
http://improve-usenet.org/ accept no immitations, middlemen,
or proxies.

No.

http://improve-usenet.org leads to a page saying "This account has been
suspended".

Blinky (who ran the site) died about a year ago. The twovoyagers.com
site was put together shortly after and retains most of the original
site in his memory.

Yikes; mouth meet foot, or feet.

I guess that explains why there was never any progress was
made on a new, spoof, website that he said he'd planned on
putting together. I'll get my g/f to check her inbox, and I
presume the domain was never registered, as she might do
that website on her own now.
For folks participating in the flamewar: Looks at the Newsgroups: line.
See the crosspost?

Looking at that, I'd better not mention what the target of the spoof
was...

Phil

Dan C

Andy said:
Phil said:
On 2/26/2010 8:50 AM, Dan C wrote:
[30 lines of quote, followed by this enlightening message:] Bugger
off, Win-droid.

The poster's signature advertises something calling itself
"The Usenet Improvement Project," whose stated goal is "to make
Usenet participation a better experience." R-i-i-i-g-h-t.

His .sig pointed to http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
However, the real usenet improvement project has URL
http://improve-usenet.org/ accept no immitations, middlemen, or
proxies.

No.

http://improve-usenet.org leads to a page saying "This account has been
suspended".

Blinky (who ran the site) died about a year ago. The twovoyagers.com
site was put together shortly after and retains most of the original
site in his memory.

Yikes; mouth meet foot, or feet.

Public spanking completed.

Bugger off, doofus. You're way overmatched.

Phred Phungus

Dan said:
Andy said:
Phil Carmody wrote:
On 2/26/2010 8:50 AM, Dan C wrote:
[...]

Sorry about bringing the loser from the ubuntu forum into clc. I've
never seen such a dedicated ubuntu troll before, but then I've not seen
a lot of ubuntu things, being relatively new to it.

T-bird has their killfiles set up to go by newsgroup, so I'll add this
disturbingly-disturbed person to my clc killfile and recommend that
others do to.

He doesn't do anything but the bugger off windroid line.

Seebs

Public spanking completed.

Uh, no. Someone pointed out a factual error which he couldn't reasonably
have known about and he gracefully accepted the correction -- none of which
changes the huge irony of someone with your unbounded quivering nerdrage
claiming to want to in some way improve usenet, and yet still posting to it.
Bugger off, doofus. You're way overmatched.

Not by you, he's not.

-s

Dan C

Uh, no. Someone pointed out a factual error which he couldn't
reasonably have known about

Really? He couldn't click the friggin link he claimed was the correct
website, and see immediately that it is not a functioning website?

Yeah, that's not "reasonable" for him to have known that.... Sheesh.

Get a clue.

Seebs

Really? He couldn't click the friggin link he claimed was the correct
website, and see immediately that it is not a functioning website?

Why should he have clicked a link that he'd been to hundreds of times?
Get a clue.

I like the way that, on every single occasion when any suggestion has
been made that your behavior might be rude, you've completely ignored it
in favor of attempts to insult or deride people, usually based on completely
unrelated trivia, like what host their newsreader is running on.

.... Well, "like" is maybe a bit strong a term. To be more specific, as long
as you appear to have no goals that in any way involve advancing or furthering
human society, but wish only to denigrate other people to try to preserve
for yourself some illusion of relative worth, I'm glad that you're so
stunningly obvious and incompetent about it that virtually no one will ever
take anything you say seriously.

And again, please stop using or advocating Linux, free software, or anything
else. "Advocates" like you are one of the major barriers to broader
acceptance of free software, because very few sane people would willingly be
thought to be in some way associated with or similar to someone who behaves
the way you do. I would recommend as an alternative that you pursue a few
years of serious therapy to see if you can develop a way of feeling good
about yourself other than laughably inept put-downs of other people. (And if
you can't, please take a page from someone like spinoza1111, and be funnier
about it.)

-s

Phred Phungus

Vivien said:
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c.]
My question is whether I can get Pcc without having to create a Plan 9
partition.

The answer is yes. Read <http://swtch.com/9vx/> ;-)

Thx, Vivian.

$ ls -l
total 8028
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 386
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 68000
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 68020
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dan dan 2607800 2008-07-01 08:30 9vx.FreeBSD
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dan dan 2626815 2008-07-01 08:30 9vx.Linux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dan dan 2803052 2008-07-01 08:30 9vx.OSX
drwxrwxr-x 7 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 acme
drwxrwxr-x 3 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:44 adm
drwxrwxr-x 6 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 alpha
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 amd64
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 arm
drwxrwxr-x 3 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 cfg
drwxrwxr-x 4 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 cron
drwxrwxr-x 3 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 dist
drwxrwxr-x 2 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:40 env
drwxrwxr-x 2 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:40 fd
drwxrwxr-x 12 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:43 lib
-r--r--r-- 1 dan dan 13006 2008-06-30 07:41 LICENSE
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dan dan 14333 2008-06-30 07:40 LICENSE.afpl
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dan dan 15081 2008-06-30 07:40 LICENSE.gpl
drwxrwxr-x 6 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 lp
drwxrwxr-x 10 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 mail
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 mips
drwxrwxr-x 26 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 mnt
drwxrwxr-x 25 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 n
-r--r--r-- 1 dan dan 63 2008-06-30 07:40 NOTICE
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 power
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 power64
drwxrwxr-x 4 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 rc
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 sparc
drwxrwxr-x 5 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 sparc64
drwxrwxr-x 9 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 sys
dr-xr-xr-x 2 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:40 tmp
drwxrwxr-x 3 dan dan 4096 2008-06-30 07:42 usr
$ grep -rl Pcc
^C
$

I think this is telling me that there are 8 thousand files. Where is
Pcc, and what was the correct way to look for it with grep?