Please end the trashing of personalities on comp.lang.c

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by spinoza1111, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. spinoza1111

    spinoza1111 Guest

    The trashing of personalities including Jacob Navia and Herb Schildt
    here must stop.

    The practice of "trashing" a person dates from certain feminist covens
    and religious cults of the 1970s, and from "struggle sessions" in the
    Chinese cultural revolution. For its origins in "acid fascism" of the
    1970s, cf
    http://www.amazon.com/Mindfuckers-F...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252842643&sr=8-1,
    while Jung Chang's Wild Swans and biography of Mao describes practises
    in the Cultural Revolution.

    Prior to the 1970s and 1960s, "trashing" also has sources in
    McCarthyism and the Stalinist "show trials" of the 1930s.

    In "trashing", the group turns upon a person (Sandy Bull, the musician
    and member of the Mel Lyman family, Jung Chang's parents, the
    Rosenbergs, the Old Bolshevists) and accuses them of responsibility
    for group failings: the failure of the commune's crops, the theft of
    the atom bomb, the failure of Mao's or Stalin's Five Year Plans, or
    the latter day mess that is the C programming language.

    Trashing takes place in a climate of fear: the fear of drug busts in
    1970s communes, of male power in feminism, of the West in Mao's China,
    and here, of the inordinate amount of power corporations have over the
    worklives of C programmers. We're seeing that corporations will
    marshal paid thugs and fools at "town meetings" in order to keep
    "single payer" and "public option" off the table, since US health
    insurance makes people overdependent on corporate jobs, including jobs
    as C programmers. Afraid of being marked down on the job as anything
    less than perfectly competent all the time by companies whose PR firms
    represent the firm as necessarily perfect, people "act out" by lashing
    out at Navia and Schildt in the most extreme ways.

    In "trashing", as opposed to procedure in a court of law in a society
    under rule of law, the testimony given by the victim is admissable as
    physical evidence of guilt. Note that in a decent courtroom, the
    attention of the jury is directed by the judge to the facts, the law,
    and the crime as charged, and it is the jury's duty to ignore the
    accused's testimony, in most cases, when it seems to be evidence of
    guilt, unless the accused changes his plea. This right, which is
    withheld in "trashing", appears in the US Bill of Rights as "nor shall
    be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself".
    But Navia's words are forever here being used against him!

    In "trashing", sticking up for the victim becomes transitively risky
    for in an effort to rid itself of guilt, the community reasons that
    anyone who defends the victim must be a perpetrator.

    "Trashing" is legal regression which is used by Fascists to secure
    their power.

    It needs to stop. It is possible to discuss programming by referring
    to ideas and by posting anonymous code snippets one wishes to
    critique. Entirely too many half-educated and illiterate CREEPS come
    in here, read about the villain du jour, and immediately start
    attacking that person in unrestrained ways, as does Mr Rosenau. Others
    create confusion by parsing what they've said systematically to always
    be right, and by saying things which enable the thugs. Others call
    people "trolls" and claim to "killfile" them while making continuous
    remarks about them to third parties which also constitute enabling.

    No, this post is not about the broken and dysfunctional language C.
    But C is less important than human beings and man is the measure of
    all things, not code.
    spinoza1111, Sep 13, 2009

  2. spinoza1111

    Seebs Guest

    On 2009-09-13, Kelsey Bjarnason <> wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:19:59 -0700, spinoza1111 wrote:
    >
    >> The trashing of personalities including Jacob Navia and Herb Schildt
    >> here must stop.

    > It will stop as soon as *they* stop doing things to earn being trashed.

    I am not convinced it is possible for it to stop, because I've seen no
    trashing of personalities, only complaints about behaviors.

    -s
    Seebs, Sep 13, 2009

  3. spinoza1111

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On Sep 13, 8:53 pm, Kelsey Bjarnason <> wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:19:59 -0700, spinoza1111 wrote:
    >
    > > The trashing of personalities including Jacob Navia and Herb Schildt
    > > here must stop.

    > It will stop as soon as *they* stop doing things to earn being trashed.

    Schildt stopped writing about C 15 years ago! And if trashing is as
    I've shown unnecessary to technical discussion (and destructive of
    discussion) then nobody earns it!

    > Navia can stop spamming.

    He is not spamming. I want to hear from him and not you.

    > Schildt can learn enough about C to comment coherently on it.

    He knew C enough to write a practical best-seller. He's now moved on.
    You clowns need to do the same.

    > If Navia persists in spamming and being a deceitful, lying little POS, he

    You're the piece of shit if you can say this.

    > can expect to be treated as such.  He can stop the supposedly unwanted
    > treatment any time he wants - just by not inviting it.

    Your problem is that he did something with his life!
    spinoza1111, Sep 13, 2009
  4. spinoza1111

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On Sep 13, 9:08 pm, Seebs <> wrote:
    > On 2009-09-13, Kelsey Bjarnason <> wrote:
    >
    > > [snips]

    > > Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:19:59 -0700, spinoza1111 wrote:

    > >> The trashing of personalities including Jacob Navia and Herb Schildt
    > >> here must stop.

    > > It will stop as soon as *they* stop doing things to earn being trashed.

    > I am not convinced it is possible for it to stop, because I've seen no
    > trashing of personalities, only complaints about behaviors.

    I have provided a simple test based on the 5th amendment to the
    Constitution. If we find a person's self-defense being used as input
    to turbo-charge further attacks on his veracity, then he's being
    forced to testify against himself.

    You are a child, Seebach. Why do you suppose judges instruct juries to
    ignore outbursts in well-run court rooms?

    This happened to Clinton in the politicised Monica Lewinsky situation,
    since the steps he took to defend himself and protect the good name of
    two women were used against him to inflate a trivial blow job into a
    near coup.

    It happened to John Kerry: such was the confusion created by the use
    of his defense against the thugs in Swift Boat Veterans for "Truth",
    who accused a war hero of cowardice and dereliction of duty and gave
    use Bush's handling of Katrina, that Kerry's votes were stolen in Ohio
    without any notice taken. Bob Woodward reports that to this day Kerry
    knows what happened, but is too decent to press the matter, since if
    he had in 2004, there might have been a civil war.

    The same shit is happening to Obama: the use of the political
    opponent's defense against him to the exclusion of a fair and reasoned
    case being made. For example, it was simply unprecedented for a
    President to be criticised for talking to school children!

    And just to be Fair and Balanced, I believe it happened to Richard
    Nixon in Watergate.

    It happened to McCarthy's victims, to the "old Bolshevists" victimized
    by Stalin, and in the Salem witch trials.

    Because of the miscarriage of justice in Salem, modern American law
    has strict rules (too often violated by prosecutors victimizing
    minorities and the poor to be sure) about admissability of evidence.

    But what we find here is a system with a shallow memory, in which
    active participants including Navia and myself find a few recent
    statements used as evidence of incompetence or dishonesty. Ignorant
    clowns read the latest shit, and join the cybernetic mob.

    There are two types of thugs here: the SS thugs and the SA thugs.

    The "SS" thugs keep their fingernails clean by denying the evidence of
    a systematic case of civil and possibly criminal libel. You're the SS,
    Peter Seebach.

    The "SA" thugs call people pieces of shit using acronyms and
    deliberately create an electronic record which they hope will upset
    their targets' extended families and endanger their targets'
    livelihoods.

    For shame! For shame!

    spinoza1111, Sep 13, 2009
  5. spinoza1111

    jacob navia Guest

    Please let's stop this polemic.

    1) Nobody can "trash my personality" unless *I* give some importance to
    what they say.

    2) Schildt doesn't write about C anymore and probably he never uses
    Usenet. I think the critics of his books are exaggerating but that
    is my personal opinion. It is not worth going on discussing that
    subject. Everybody said his opinion and that was it.

    Anyway I have gotten used to the campaigns of
    heathfield/thompson/Default user/Richard Bos and co...
    and their stuff doesn't do me any real harm.

    Well, sometimes people start discussing and forget all control
    like this one, for instance:

    >> He uses CLC as a marketing medium, trying to pretend to be the good
    >> guy ("See? I give it away free!") while, in fact, being a
    >> scum-of-the-earth spamming asshole.

    I think this contributions are funny, and reveal more about the author
    than he would like

    :)

    Have fun guys!

    (And let's come back to more substantive discussions).

    jacob
    jacob navia, Sep 13, 2009
  6. spinoza1111

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On Sep 13, 11:08 pm, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Please let's stop this polemic.
    >
    > 1) Nobody can "trash my personality" unless *I* give some importance to
    >     what they say.
    >
    > 2) Schildt doesn't write about C anymore and probably he never uses
    >     Usenet. I think the critics of his books are exaggerating but that
    >     is my personal opinion. It is not worth going on discussing that
    >     subject. Everybody said his opinion and that was it.
    >
    > Anyway I have gotten used to the campaigns of
    > heathfield/thompson/Default user/Richard Bos and co...
    > and their stuff doesn't do me any real harm.
    >
    > Well, sometimes people start discussing and forget all control
    > like this one, for instance:
    >
    >  >> He uses CLC as a marketing medium, trying to pretend to be the good
    >  >> guy ("See?  I give it away free!") while, in fact, being a
    >  >> scum-of-the-earth spamming asshole.
    >
    > I think this contributions are funny, and reveal more about the author
    > than he would like
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Have fun guys!
    >
    > (And let's come back to more substantive discussions).
    >
    > jacob

    Jacob, I've finished saying what I have to say. I hereby leave this
    discussion.

    I am available on Facebook as the "Edward Nilges" who is in Hong Kong
    and will admit people as Facebook Friends upon application. I also
    blog at www.wordpress.spinoza1111.com.

    All the best to you.
    spinoza1111, Sep 13, 2009
  7. "spinoza1111" <> wrote in message
    [...]

    > I am available on Facebook as the "Edward Nilges" who is in Hong Kong
    > and will admit people as Facebook Friends upon application. I also
    > blog at www.wordpress.spinoza1111.com.

    > All the best to you.

    That should probably be:

    http://spinoza1111.wordpress.com
    Chris M. Thomasson, Sep 14, 2009
  8. spinoza1111

    John Bode Guest

    On Sep 13, 7:19 am, spinoza1111 <> wrote:

    [snip ... whatever the hell that was]

    You really need to find a new hobby.
    John Bode, Sep 14, 2009