Please help make CodeZoo truly useful

Curt Hibbs

I just posted this on my blog (http://blog.curthibbs.us/), but I thought=20
that it was important enough to warrant cross-posting on both the=20
ruby-talk and rails mailing lists (please don't miss my call-to-action=20
in the very last paragraph).

Curt
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

O=92Reilly=92s CodeZoo was launched last April supporting only
Java, but just two days ago a new release of CodeZoo now
includes Ruby and Python!

CodeZoo is a site for any developer who wants to
avoid writing code. We believe the best code is
the code you don=92t have to write=97the pieces already
done for you, as well or better as you would do them
yourself.

CodeZoo exists to help you find high-quality, freely
available, reusable components, getting you past the
repetitive parts of coding, and onto the rest and the
best of your projects. It=92s a fast-forward button for
your compiler.

This is something that the Ruby community badly needed: a
centralized place where Ruby packages can be categorized,
reviewed, rated, and commented on. CodeZoo goes beyond even
this with download tracking, RSS feeds, and much more.

This is an excellent compliment to RubyForge. RubyForge is
an excellent home for open source Ruby projects, but provides
now way to review, rate, or comment on Ruby packages. This
makes it hard to find things and determine the quality of what
you do find.

What would be really useful would be some basic cross-site
integration between CodeZoo and RubyForge. I=92m going to think
about what could be done here and see if I can cajole the
masters of both sites to cooperate for the benefit of us Ruby=20
developers. But even as things stand today, this is a major
step forward.

WHAT CAN YOU DO

The benefit of CodeZoo comes from us, the Ruby developers,
when we add to its knowledge base. Please take some time to
go to CodeZoo (http://ruby.codezoo.com/) and review, comment,
and rate various Ruby packages. O=92Reilly has put a lot of
effort into this site. Now its up to us to make it truly
useful.

Tom Copeland

What would be really useful would be some basic cross-site
integration between CodeZoo and RubyForge. I=A2m going to think
about what could be done here and see if I can cajole the
masters of both sites to cooperate for the benefit of us Ruby=20
developers.

Yup, maybe RubyForge could start exporting that DOAP format that they
consume...

Yours

tom

James Britt

Curt said:
I just posted this on my blog (http://blog.curthibbs.us/), but I though= t=20
that it was important enough to warrant cross-posting on both the=20
ruby-talk and rails mailing lists (please don't miss my call-to-action=20
in the very last paragraph).
=20
Curt
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=20
O=92Reilly=92s CodeZoo was launched last April supporting only
Java, but just two days ago a new release of CodeZoo now
includes Ruby and Python!

Please excuse me if I am being denser than usual; I've got server issues=20
and am trying to relocate numerous sites, so I've just scanned the text,=20
but does this mean Yet Another Place To Look For Ruby Code?

In other words, what is the value in encouraging people to contribute to=20
CodeZoo?

There's rubyforge, sourceforge, RAA, freshmeat, personal sites, where
one may find Ruby code.

Who's writing the meta-search engine for all this stuff?

Or at least the "update my project in rubyforge and CodeZoo all at the=20
same time" Rake file?

James, crankier than usual

--=20

Jason Foreman

=20
Please excuse me if I am being denser than usual; I've got server issues
and am trying to relocate numerous sites, so I've just scanned the text,
but does this mean Yet Another Place To Look For Ruby Code?
=20
In other words, what is the value in encouraging people to contribute to
CodeZoo?
=20
There's rubyforge, sourceforge, RAA, freshmeat, personal sites, where
one may find Ruby code.
=20

I sort of feel the same way. I'm still relatively new to Ruby, and it
does get frustrating to deal with all the various ways to find
libraries and code.

However, I am encouraged by the reply from Marc Hedlund that suggests
CodeZoo is only interested in publishing active and maintained
projects, rather than just dumping everything they can find. This
type of site does not exist in the wild. Much of what is currently
found on RubyForge et al. is 'dead wood'.

I hope though that they clean out projects that die after entry into
CodeZoo, otherwise it will end up in the same situation eventually.

Jason

Ara.T.Howard

James, crankier than usual

i feel your pain.

i gave up and just use my own server with links posted to the raa. it's much
easier to deal with than anything else by miles.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Shalev NessAiver

--Apple-Mail-1--1072202508
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

On 8/5/05, James Britt <[email protected]> wrote:
Much of what is currently found on RubyForge et al. is 'dead wood'.

I hope though that they clean out projects that die after entry into
CodeZoo, otherwise it will end up in the same situation eventually.

Jason

It would be much easier of people were allowed to delete projects
they have created - at least if there hasn't
been any code uploaded yet. I have a project that I started but
didn't have time to pursue and I can't delete it!

(At any rate, I'll certainly be going to CodeZOO more now that they
have Ruby in there. Last time I checked it was
only Java).

-Shalev
--Apple-Mail-1--1072202508--

Tom Copeland

It would be much easier of people were allowed to delete projects
they have created - at least if there hasn't
been any code uploaded yet. I have a project that I started but
didn't have time to pursue and I can't delete it!

Hm, is that on RubyForge? If so, you can let me know and I'll delete
it... same goes for anyone else who has a dead/duplicate/moved project
that's languishing on RubyForge.

Thanks!

Tom

James Britt

Jason said:

I sort of feel the same way. I'm still relatively new to Ruby, and it
does get frustrating to deal with all the various ways to find
libraries and code.

But it appears that CodeZoo will help sort that out. For example, if
you want a high-level, cross-site, filtered-to-remove-gunk, go to
CodeZoo. If, though, you want to see *all* the projects, even the ones
James is too [busy|lazy] to keep maintained, go search RubyForge (and,
well, everywhere else).

James

Adrian Howard

On 6 Aug 2005, at 13:29, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
[snip]
Maybe you could make a "Ruby cemetery" where old projects can go to
die?

Then they wouldn't clutter up the site, but possibly useful code,
snippets or even only material with history value doesn't totally get
lost.
[snip]

That would be nice.

Perl's backpan is occasionally /really/ useful when you need to get
some ancient module version up and running when you encounter some
exceptionally old and evil code. I expect I'll need the same with
Ruby at some point :)

Adrian