Please help me understand "Java Open Source Project"

Discussion in 'Java' started by www, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. www

    www Guest

    Hi,

    I have read that Sun is doing something revolutionary again. It is
    moving its Java to open source project.
    http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/project_overview.jsp

    I cannot understand several things. I hope that somebody could help me
    understand it better.

    First of all, I don't really understand what "Open Source Project" is. I
    have heard that many softwares are "Open Source Project". Does that mean
    that anybody can join and program it? For Java, can I give my own
    favorite class (MySuperUseful.java) to Sun so it will include it in its
    new coming version? Or can I modify the current existing class into a
    favor I like and Sun will release it in the new version? If everybody
    just join and writing some piece of code and give it to Sun, the quality
    of Java classes would be questionable? What is really open source project?

    Thank you very much.
    www, Mar 6, 2007

  2. www

    Joe Attardi Guest

    On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, www <> wrote:
    > First of all, I don't really understand what "Open Source Project" is. I
    > have heard that many softwares are "Open Source Project". Does that mean
    > that anybody can join and program it?

    That's partly. Basically, an open source project is one that makes its
    source code available for all. Not everybody can add their changes to
    an open source project, however. Typically there is a core group of
    developers usually referred to as "committers" who have permission to
    submit their changes directly to the source code repository.
    Usually, anybody can submit a patch and the core developers decide if
    such changes should be incorporated into the project.

    > If everybody
    > just join and writing some piece of code and give it to Sun, the quality
    > of Java classes would be questionable?

    As I mentioned above, only certain people are permitted to actually
    add code into the "official" source code for a project. They make the
    decisions about what is and is not included, and conduct peer code
    reviews to make sure the code going in is good.

    There are not really any restrictions on what you can do with your
    local copy of the code (again, depending on the license), however you
    just can't add it to the official source code. You can tinker with the
    code on your own machine or produce derivative works (once again,
    depending on the license).

    I hope this helps!

    --
    Joe Attardi
    Joe Attardi, Mar 6, 2007

  3. www

    Lew Guest

    www wrote:
    >> First of all, I don't really understand what "Open Source Project" is. I
    >> have heard that many softwares are "Open Source Project". Does that mean
    >> that anybody can join and program it?

    Strictly speaking, "open source" refers to how the source code is licensed.

    -- Lew
    Lew, Mar 7, 2007
  4. www

    www Guest

    Joe Attardi wrote:

    > That's partly. Basically, an open source project is one that makes its
    > source code available for all. Not everybody can add their changes to
    > an open source project, however. Typically there is a core group of
    > developers usually referred to as "committers" who have permission to
    > submit their changes directly to the source code repository.
    > Usually, anybody can submit a patch and the core developers decide if
    > such changes should be incorporated into the project.
    >

    > As I mentioned above, only certain people are permitted to actually
    > add code into the "official" source code for a project. They make the
    > decisions about what is and is not included, and conduct peer code
    > reviews to make sure the code going in is good.
    >
    > There are not really any restrictions on what you can do with your
    > local copy of the code (again, depending on the license), however you
    > just can't add it to the official source code. You can tinker with the
    > code on your own machine or produce derivative works (once again,
    > depending on the license).
    >
    > I hope this helps!
    >
    > --
    > Joe Attardi

    Thank you very much. I now understand "Open Source Project" better now.

    Actually, if I had followed the links in the web page I posted, there
    are a lot of information about how to get involved in the project, how
    to report bugs etc.

    Thank you again.
    www, Mar 7, 2007