    about it.

    Please help me as i am very desperate about it.
    , Dec 5, 2006

  2. said:

    > Hello Folks,
    >
    > I am doing my engineering in computer science.
    >
    > I basically want to work in systems rather than in application.
    >
    > But the main problem with me that i dont have adequate guidance and
    > till now i only have very preliminary knowlede of c/c++.
    >
    > I can write any program related to application but i dont have any idea
    > about what is system programming all about and how should i proceed
    > about it.

    The distinction is an artificial one. Programming is programming. If you can
    truly write any program related to "applications", then just think of the
    operating system as an application.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Dec 5, 2006

  3. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello Folks,
    >
    > I am doing my engineering in computer science.
    >
    > I basically want to work in systems rather than in application.
    >
    > But the main problem with me that i dont have adequate guidance and
    > till now i only have very preliminary knowlede of c/c++.

    So read and practise more. Get a copy of The C Programming Language
    (2nd Ed.) by Kernighan & Ritchie and go through it.

    > I can write any program related to application but i dont have any idea
    > about what is system programming all about and how should i proceed
    > about it.
    >
    > Please help me as i am very desperate about it.

    Ask a local counselor or CS instructor for advice.

    If your strong on logic and mathematics, the details are easy to pick
    up with time.
    santosh, Dec 5, 2006

    Learn Assembly Language/C (for OO learn oo oncepts and any oo lang.)
    Master Data Structure and Algo.
    Computer Arch and OS
    study atleast x86 based any simple architecture.

    after concept clear in above

    learn how to debug.
    refer good news group.(as they are more than text books)
    refer good opensource System Programs
    Design/Write your own code

    --raxit

  5. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    <snip>
    Please don't top post. See below:
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    <clc-wiki.net/>
    santosh, Dec 5, 2006
  6. Bob Martin Guest

    in 708891 20061205 104454 wrote:
    >dont give free advice without thinking.
    >dont try to be oversmart.
    >
    >--raxit
    >
    >santosh wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >> Please don't top post. See below:
    >> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    >> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    >> <clc-wiki.net/>

    I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    Let people do what they want, I can handle it.
    Bob Martin, Dec 5, 2006

    santosh wrote:

    > wrote:
    > <snip>
    > Please don't top post. See below:
    > <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    > <clc-wiki.net/>
    , Dec 5, 2006
  8. Chris Dollin Guest

    wrote:

    > dont give free advice without thinking.

    Please don't top-post.

    > dont try to be oversmart.

    `try` is off-topic on comp.lang.c.

    --
    Chris "not free and not unthought" Dollin
    "No-one here is exactly what he appears." G'kar, /Babylon 5/
    Chris Dollin, Dec 5, 2006
  9. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    > dont give free advice without thinking.
    > dont try to be oversmart.

    Please do not top-post. Read the following links:

    --
    Some informative links:
    CBFalconer, Dec 5, 2006
  10. In article <u4cdh.104$>,
    Bob Martin <> wrote:
    >in 708891 20061205 104454 wrote:
    >>dont give free advice without thinking.
    >>dont try to be oversmart.
    >>
    >>--raxit
    >>
    >>santosh wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>> Please don't top post. See below:
    >>> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    >>> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    >>> <clc-wiki.net/>

    >I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    >Let people do what they want, I can handle it.

    It is just a small part of the general fascism that is this newsgroup.
    I'd get used to it, if I were you (and planned to stick around).
    Kenny McCormack, Dec 5, 2006
  11. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > dont give free advice without thinking.
    > dont try to be oversmart.

    *plonk*

    Brian
    Default User, Dec 5, 2006
  12. Default User Guest

    Bob Martin wrote:

    > I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    > Let people do what they want, I can handle it.

    No.

    Brian
  13. In article <>,
    Default User <> wrote:
    >Bob Martin wrote:
    >

    >> I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    >> Let people do what they want, I can handle it.

    >No.

    Keep in mind that this "DefaultUser/Brian" creature is a bona fide
    anti-top-posting fanatic. You'll get no quarter from him.

    He got into quite a chick fight a month or so ago with some of the
    esteemed regulars over this.
    Kenny McCormack, Dec 5, 2006
  14. Bob Martin Guest

    in 708916 20061205 134742 (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
    >In article <u4cdh.104$>,
    >Bob Martin <> wrote:
    >>in 708891 20061205 104454 wrote:
    >>>dont give free advice without thinking.
    >>>dont try to be oversmart.
    >>>
    >>>--raxit

    >>I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    >>Let people do what they want, I can handle it.

    >It is just a small part of the general fascism that is this newsgroup.
    >I'd get used to it, if I were you (and planned to stick around).

    I'll stick around as long as I can, but I'm getting on a bit ;-)
    Bob Martin, Dec 5, 2006
  15. writes:
    > dont give free advice without thinking.
    > dont try to be oversmart.
    >
    > --raxit
    >
    > santosh wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >> Please don't top post. See below:
    >> <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>
    >> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    >> <clc-wiki.net/>

    Insulting someone who gives you good advice is foolish.

    I'm sure santosh gave you his valuable free advice after thinking
    about it. I have no idea what "oversmart" means, but you might try it
    yourself.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 5, 2006

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Default User <> wrote:
    > >Bob Martin wrote:
    > >

    > >> I'm sick of this top-posting / bottom-posting fascism.
    > >> Let people do what they want, I can handle it.

    > >No.

    > Keep in mind that this "DefaultUser/Brian" creature is a bona fide
    > anti-top-posting fanatic. You'll get no quarter from him.
    >
    > He got into quite a chick fight a month or so ago with some of the
    > esteemed regulars over this.

    Yes. He seems to be fighting a losing battle to ensure that courtesy
    is maintained.
    Nettiquette is part of USENET courtesy. See (for example):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    For me, sometimes I don't have a problem with top-posting (e.g. when
    you are replying to a single line and it is directly below your post).
    On the other hand, as a habit -- and when a tiny response is posted
    above a large message -- I find it quite annoying. This is especially
    the case when the bit that they are replying to is buried somewhere
    down deep in the message.

    BTW, he (Brian) is a highly intelligent and valuable poster. I read
    everything that he writes.

    The history of news:comp.lang.c is one of pedantry. Many posters view
    this as something bad. Personally, I think it keeps the group accurate
    and focused.

    IMO-YMMV.
    , Dec 5, 2006
  17. writes:
    > Kenny McCormack wrote:

    [the usual]
    > Yes. He seems to be fighting a losing battle to ensure that courtesy
    > is maintained.
    > Nettiquette is part of USENET courtesy. See (for example):
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    [...]

    Kenny McCormack is a self-proclaimed troll. I suggest that this
    newsgroup is best served by completely ignoring him. If he's starved
    of the attention he seems to crave, he just might go away, but even if
    he doesn't, the newsgroup will be a more pleasant place for those who
    have wisely killfiled him. In short, please don't feed the troll.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 5, 2006
  18. Keith Thompson said:

    > writes:
    >> Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > [the usual]
    >> Yes. He seems to be fighting a losing battle to ensure that courtesy
    >> is maintained.
    >> Nettiquette is part of USENET courtesy. See (for example):
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    > [...]
    >
    > Kenny McCormack is a self-proclaimed troll.

    I've been around comp.lang.c for long enough to know that you've been
    around comp.lang.c for long enough to know that Dann Corbit has been around
    comp.lang.c for long enough to know this already.

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 5, 2006
  19. In article <>,
    Keith Thompson <> wrote:
    > writes:
    >> Kenny McCormack wrote:

    >[the usual]
    >> Yes. He seems to be fighting a losing battle to ensure that courtesy
    >> is maintained.
    >> Nettiquette is part of USENET courtesy. See (for example):
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    >[...]
    >
    >Kenny McCormack is a self-proclaimed troll. I suggest that this
    >newsgroup is best served by completely ignoring him. If he's starved
    >of the attention he seems to crave, he just might go away, but even if
    >he doesn't, the newsgroup will be a more pleasant place for those who
    >have wisely killfiled him. In short, please don't feed the troll.

    Still can't let it go, can you?
    Kenny McCormack, Dec 5, 2006
  20. In article <>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >Keith Thompson said:
    >
    >> writes:
    >>> Kenny McCormack wrote:

    >> [the usual]
    >>> Yes. He seems to be fighting a losing battle to ensure that courtesy
    >>> is maintained.
    >>> Nettiquette is part of USENET courtesy. See (for example):
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Kenny McCormack is a self-proclaimed troll.

    >I've been around comp.lang.c for long enough to know that you've been
    >around comp.lang.c for long enough to know that Dann Corbit has been around
    >comp.lang.c for long enough to know this already.

    Yabbut, that's just the problem. KT is just not biologically capable of
    leaving it be - that is, of letting it lie there and getting on with his
    life.
    Kenny McCormack, Dec 5, 2006