    tu- Guest

    It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    reference books.
    tu-, Jul 7, 2004

  2. tu-

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    -nct.ac.jp (tu-) writes:

    > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    > reference books.

    The best reference book is the C standard. You can get it for
    $18 from webstore.ansi.org.
    );}return 0;}
    Ben Pfaff, Jul 7, 2004

  3. tu-

    jacob navia Guest

    "tu-" <-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
    > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

    good
    > reference books.

    I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from

    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    It comes with a compiler and development system so that you can
    start programming in C fairly quickly.

    jacob
    jacob navia, Jul 7, 2004
  4. tu-

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <ccg91a$d7$> "jacob navia" <> writes:

    >"tu-" <-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
    >> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

    >good
    >> reference books.

    >I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from
    >
    >http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    Does it come with a free Windows and MS Office licence? What part
    of the OP's message says that he's a Windows/MS Office user?

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 7, 2004
  5. tu-

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Ben Pfaff <> writes:

    >-nct.ac.jp (tu-) writes:
    >
    >> It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    >> reference books.

    >The best reference book is the C standard. You can get it for
    >$18 from webstore.ansi.org.

    It's not exactly the best reference book for someone wanting to study
    the C language. If you don't already know C, you're not going to make
    much sense out of the C standard.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 7, 2004
  6. tu-

    Richard Bos Guest

    -nct.ac.jp (tu-) wrote:

    > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    > reference books.

    The best (although not easiest) reference is the Standard, to be had
    from ISO or your national standards bureau. A cheap (because free)
    alternative, which is probably good enough for students, is the last
    public draft of the Standard, which can be downloaded at
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/>. It is not
    exactly the same as the final Standard, but the differences are small
    enough that it will do for studying.
    Finally, the best learning book is K&R 2, hands down.
    The C Programming Language
    Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie
    ISBN: 0131103628

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jul 7, 2004
  7. tu-

    Richard Bos Guest

    "jacob navia" <> wrote:

    > "tu-" <-nct.ac.jp> a écrit dans le message de
    > > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any
    > > good reference books.

    > I have written a tutorial intoruction available at no cost from
    >
    > http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    I've seen worse, but perhaps that's the nasty thing about it. It is not
    a C introduction, it is an lcc introduction. _Most_ of the early
    material is about C. But in 1.22, for example, it introduces findfirst()
    and findnext() without the slightest hint that these are not C, but M$VC
    functions which lcc has adopted.
    It could be a much more reliable and useful resource if it indicated
    exactly where discussion of C ends and discussion of system-specific
    features started. As it is, I could only recommend this to someone who
    wants to be locked into lcc, and never use another compiler.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jul 7, 2004
  8. tu-

    celsius Guest

    -nct.ac.jp (tu-) wrote in message news:<>...
    > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    > reference books.

    Well to get information about top rated C books published between 1990 and 2000
    go to the site http://accu.org
    celsius, Jul 7, 2004
  9. tu-

    osmium Guest

    celsius writes:

    > > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any

    good
    > > reference books.

    > Well to get information about top rated C books published between 1990

    and 2000
    > go to the site http://accu.org

    That is simply not true! The site is primarily the opinion of one man,
    Francis Glassborow, on the suitability of some books. He has some very
    strong, biases on what is and what is not important in a book. To him
    standards are the be all and end all of programming. An author who does not
    share this fetish will be severely down graded. If you wear a green
    eyeshade or like to count beans, these reviews are for you.

    The reviews are much too short to be meaningful and even if they were
    longer, they are written using the argot of the professional programmer.
    This stuff is not readable and meaningful to a neophyte. He is left with a
    simplistic "recommended" or "not recommended" (perhaps implicit) that is,
    IMNSHO quite often dead wrong.
    osmium, Jul 7, 2004
  10. on 7/7/2004 9:49 AM tu- Wrote:
    > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    > reference books.

    IMHO,
    The reference book for C would be:
    The C Programming Language
    Second Edition
    by Brian W. Kernighan,Dennis M. Ritchie
    published by Pearson Education

    If you are a learner, then you might want to try
    a few introductory books like:
    Schaum's Outline of Programming with C
    by Byron S. Gottfried
    published by: McGraw-Hill

    To go really deep,
    C Unleashed (Unleashed)
    by Richard Heathfield, et al.
    published by: SAMS

    --
    Shanmu.
    Shanmuhanathan T, Jul 7, 2004
  11. tu-

    tu- Guest

    Ben Pfaff <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > -nct.ac.jp (tu-) writes:
    >
    > > It is whether although he wants to study about C language, there are any good
    > > reference books.

    > The best reference book is the C standard. You can get it for
    > $18 from webstore.ansi.org.

    Thank you. I want to purchase C standard instantly.
    tu-, Jul 9, 2004