pls test my applet

Arne Vajhøj

NickPick said:
I'm new to Java and my preliminary conclusion is that Java is just not
suitable for what I want to do. I'm working on a solution in PHP which
appears to be much easier and better. But thanks for your help!

The solutions are not comparable. A PHP solution will run on your
server. The Java applet runs on the end users PC. A PHP solution is
limited by HTTP. A Java applet solution is a real app just embedded.
PHP wil work with any browser. Java applet requires Java. And so on.

Arne

Dave Miller

NickPick said:
I'm new to Java and my preliminary conclusion is that Java is just not
suitable for what I want to do. I'm working on a solution in PHP which
appears to be much easier and better. But thanks for your help!

PHP is server side code. If you want the content to be delivered only on
page load, PHP (or any other server side code) and html for the browser
is all that you'll need. If that's the case, an applet may have been an
over engineered design choice in the first place.

If you want the client to be able to update on some regular basis,
you'll need something on the client to retrieve the data and render the
chart. That could be something as simple as a button that the user
clicks to load a new page from the server. If you want something more
involved, you'll need a script or an object (like applet) that runs in
the browser.

Arne Vajhøj

Dave said:
It used to be that you could take a regular SSL, play around with it to
get it into your keystore and use it to sign. We were only able to get
it to work with certs whose root was distributed in the JRE (Thawte,
etc.) but others may have been able to get cheaper certs to work as well.

Starting with either 1.5 or 1.6, Sun apparently put the kibosh on that.
No matter how much we hacked around with the SSL certs, we still got
security exceptions.

Since then we've had to use a separate object signing cert and can no
longer use a regular SSL. If anyone knows how to use the (much, much)
cheaper SSL please post the how to here.

Interesting - I was not aware of that.

Very good info.

Arne