Pop-up windows, good or bad?

James Hutton

I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses set
to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to the
venue etc.

On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.

I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

James

Jonathan N. Little

James said:
I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses set
to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to the
venue etc.

On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.

I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

Been argued to death. You cannot go wrong by your current method and
your users have have to option to open in a new window or tab with
right-click or ctrl-clicking your links...

J.O. Aho

James said:
On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.

Usually the pop-up blockers blocks the pop-ups that are automatically made
like by javascript that is executed during the load of the page or pop-ups
generated by flash.

A javascript executed by pressing a link is usually allowed, so as long as you
don't use "evil-code" to open your pop-ups, I wouldn't bee too much worried.
I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

I would think that is a bit of bad design if you have to state that a link
will open a pop-up.

In a way I agree with Jonathan, most browsers nowadays do give you options of
opening a link in a new window or tab when clicking on it with the middle
mouse button, so maybe you shouldn't redesign your site again and just tell
the complaining users to know of the option of opening a link in a new window/tab.

Animesh K

J.O. Aho said:
Usually the pop-up blockers blocks the pop-ups that are automatically made
like by javascript that is executed during the load of the page or pop-ups
generated by flash.

A javascript executed by pressing a link is usually allowed, so as long as you
don't use "evil-code" to open your pop-ups, I wouldn't bee too much worried.

(Internet) Exploder, son of Grand Daddy, blocks all needed pop-up
windows while allowing spurious ones to open. Try Yahoo games, for instance.

dorayme

James Hutton said:
I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses set
to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to the
venue etc.

On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
The clients say they prefer the original method,

You could give an alternative.

<ul>
window)</li>
</ul>

You might add some words to "popup" like "map stays on screen
while you peruse the rest of the text on this page" though I
think most people understand this.

There is an ideal notion that the best design is where you do not
need such a thing. If viewers all or most would find it handy to
have the map out, build it into the page itself. But the reality
is that this is often impractical for various reasons. And
opening it into a tab loses some advantage as well as gaining
others. Opening in a new window, either by choice of viewer
behaviour with controls (mouse etc) or by author force (_blank
etc) ditto (especially in that an author knows the size of the
map and can provide a window that does not need fiddling with too
much)

Your clients and probably many users could quite understandably
find it useful to have the popup.

Rick Brandt

James said:
I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses
set to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to
the venue etc.

On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same
window. The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the
future.
I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but
ecxplicitly state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to
that effect.
James

Use a popup floating div and some dynamic HTML instead. When styled just right
almost indistinguishable from a separate window, but not subjected to popup
blocking. Would require scripting be enabled though.