    pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
    state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

    James

    James Hutton, Jul 17, 2007

  2. James Hutton wrote:
    > I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
    > giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses set
    > to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to the
    > venue etc.
    >
    > On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
    > The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
    > proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.
    >
    > I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
    > pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
    > state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

    Been argued to death. You cannot go wrong by your current method and
    your users have have to option to open in a new window or tab with
    right-click or ctrl-clicking your links...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2007

  3. James Hutton

    J.O. Aho Guest

    James Hutton wrote:

    > On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
    > The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
    > proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.

    Usually the pop-up blockers blocks the pop-ups that are automatically made
    like by javascript that is executed during the load of the page or pop-ups
    generated by flash.

    A javascript executed by pressing a link is usually allowed, so as long as you
    don't use "evil-code" to open your pop-ups, I wouldn't bee too much worried.

    > I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
    > pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but ecxplicitly
    > state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to that effect.

    I would think that is a bit of bad design if you have to state that a link
    will open a pop-up.

    In a way I agree with Jonathan, most browsers nowadays do give you options of
    opening a link in a new window or tab when clicking on it with the middle
    mouse button, so maybe you shouldn't redesign your site again and just tell
    the complaining users to know of the option of opening a link in a new window/tab.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jul 17, 2007
  4. James Hutton

    Animesh K Guest

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > James Hutton wrote:
    >
    >> On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
    >> The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
    >> proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the future.

    > Usually the pop-up blockers blocks the pop-ups that are automatically made
    > like by javascript that is executed during the load of the page or pop-ups
    > generated by flash.
    >
    > A javascript executed by pressing a link is usually allowed, so as long as you
    > don't use "evil-code" to open your pop-ups, I wouldn't bee too much worried.

    (Internet) Exploder, son of Grand Daddy, blocks all needed pop-up
    windows while allowing spurious ones to open. Try Yahoo games, for instance.

    Animesh K, Jul 17, 2007
  5. James Hutton

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f7is2o$mr5$>,
    James Hutton <> wrote:

    > I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
    > giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses set
    > to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to the
    > venue etc.
    >
    > On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same window.
    > The clients say they prefer the original method,

    You could give an alternative.

    <ul>
    window)</li>
    </ul>

    You might add some words to "popup" like "map stays on screen
    while you peruse the rest of the text on this page" though I
    think most people understand this.

    There is an ideal notion that the best design is where you do not
    need such a thing. If viewers all or most would find it handy to
    have the map out, build it into the page itself. But the reality
    is that this is often impractical for various reasons. And
    opening it into a tab loses some advantage as well as gaining
    others. Opening in a new window, either by choice of viewer
    behaviour with controls (mouse etc) or by author force (_blank
    etc) ditto (especially in that an author knows the size of the
    map and can provide a window that does not need fiddling with too
    much)

    Your clients and probably many users could quite understandably
    find it useful to have the popup.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 17, 2007
  6. James Hutton

    Rick Brandt Guest

    James Hutton wrote:
    > I've completely rewritten a site that has a table of 60ish club venues
    > giving contact details and addresses. I originally had the addresses
    > set to create a pop-up window with a google map giving directions to
    > the venue etc.
    >
    > On rewriting the site, I've now got the maps to open in the same
    > window. The clients say they prefer the original method, yet with the
    > proliferation of pop-up blockers etc this may cause problems in the
    > future.
    > I also note that the general concensus of opinion is that unwanted
    > pop-ups are bad, so should I continue with pop-up maps, but
    > ecxplicitly state "this link will open a pop-up window" or words to
    > that effect.
    > James

    Use a popup floating div and some dynamic HTML instead. When styled just right
    almost indistinguishable from a separate window, but not subjected to popup
    blocking. Would require scripting be enabled though.

    Rick Brandt, Jul 18, 2007