Popularizing SimpleHTTPServer and CGIHTTPServer

Thomas Guettler

Am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:37:34 -0800 schrieb Michele Simionato:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/365606
The standard library modules SimpleHTTPServer and CGIHTTPServer are
extremely
useful, but the documentation hides their virtues. I hope to improve the
situation with this recipe.

Hi,

I used SimpleHTTPServer to serve debian packages you
get with apt-get. Unfortunately this did not work.
I recieved a lot of "connection reset by peer".

See:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-October/244173.html

Have other people this problem, too?
I got no response.

Thomas

Jorey Bump

You may want to warn people that if they run those commands in their home
directory, they will instantly share all of their data with anyone that can
access the machine. Because the server runs as the user, it will have
permission to serve all of the files in the directory. I'd recommend that
they cd into a directory created specifically for the purpose of testing.

Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:

1. Support virtual hosts?

2. Support SSL?

I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

Irmen de Jong

Jorey said:
Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:

1. Support virtual hosts?

2. Support SSL?

I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

Give Snakelets a try (snakelets.sf.net).
I started it based on SimpleHTTPServer (but it has grown quite a bit
since), it supports virtual hosts, though not SSL (yet).

Maybe it strikes a good balance for you between features and complexity
(or simplicity, if you like).

--Irmen

Steve Holden

Jorey said:
You may want to warn people that if they run those commands in their home
directory, they will instantly share all of their data with anyone that can
access the machine. Because the server runs as the user, it will have
permission to serve all of the files in the directory. I'd recommend that
they cd into a directory created specifically for the purpose of testing.

Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:

1. Support virtual hosts?

2. Support SSL?

I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

You want ExtremelyBloodyComplicatedHTTPServer :)

regards
Steve

Lee Harr

Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:
1. Support virtual hosts?

2. Support SSL?

I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

I think I would point to twisted for that. It is another
dependency, but it has all you will ever need and more.