Popularizing SimpleHTTPServer and CGIHTTPServer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michele Simionato, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Michele Simionato, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Am Wed, 02 Feb 2005 22:37:34 -0800 schrieb Michele Simionato:

    > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/365606
    >The standard library modules SimpleHTTPServer and CGIHTTPServer are
    >extremely
    >useful, but the documentation hides their virtues. I hope to improve the
    >situation with this recipe.

    Hi,

    I used SimpleHTTPServer to serve debian packages you
    get with apt-get. Unfortunately this did not work.
    I recieved a lot of "connection reset by peer".

    See:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-October/244173.html

    Have other people this problem, too?
    I got no response.

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas G├╝ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

    Thomas Guettler, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Michele Simionato

    Jorey Bump Guest

    "Michele Simionato" <> wrote in

    > Just submitted a recipe with this goal in mind:
    >
    > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/365606

    You may want to warn people that if they run those commands in their home
    directory, they will instantly share all of their data with anyone that can
    access the machine. Because the server runs as the user, it will have
    permission to serve all of the files in the directory. I'd recommend that
    they cd into a directory created specifically for the purpose of testing.

    Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:

    1. Support virtual hosts?

    2. Support SSL?

    I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
    but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

    Jorey Bump, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Jorey Bump wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:
    >
    > 1. Support virtual hosts?
    >
    > 2. Support SSL?
    >
    > I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
    > but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

    Give Snakelets a try (snakelets.sf.net).
    I started it based on SimpleHTTPServer (but it has grown quite a bit
    since), it supports virtual hosts, though not SSL (yet).

    Maybe it strikes a good balance for you between features and complexity
    (or simplicity, if you like).

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Michele Simionato

    Steve Holden Guest

    Jorey Bump wrote:

    > "Michele Simionato" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Just submitted a recipe with this goal in mind:
    >>
    >>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/365606

    > You may want to warn people that if they run those commands in their home
    > directory, they will instantly share all of their data with anyone that can
    > access the machine. Because the server runs as the user, it will have
    > permission to serve all of the files in the directory. I'd recommend that
    > they cd into a directory created specifically for the purpose of testing.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:
    >
    > 1. Support virtual hosts?
    >
    > 2. Support SSL?
    >
    > I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
    > but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

    You want ExtremelyBloodyComplicatedHTTPServer :)

    regards
    Steve
    Come to PyCon DC 2005 http://www.pycon.org/
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/

    Steve Holden, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Michele Simionato

    Lee Harr Guest

    > Does anyone know how to use SimpleHTTPServer to:
    >
    > 1. Support virtual hosts?
    >
    > 2. Support SSL?
    >
    > I'd like to use SimpleHTTPServer to create some simple reporting utilities,
    > but can't get past these two points. Is there a NotSoSimpleHTTPServer?

    I think I would point to twisted for that. It is another
    dependency, but it has all you will ever need and more.

    Lee Harr, Feb 3, 2005

    Lee Harr wrote:
    > ... I think I would point to twisted for that.

    Michael :)

    Michael Spencer, Feb 4, 2005