port scanning in ruby

Kyle Schmitt

Duhh, forgot to include the article names :)
They were by Craig Webster:
Absolute basics: Connecting to ports
Concurrent socket programming
A more advanced port checker

Charles Johnson

Go to the rubyinside site and copy the link.

Google the wayback machine, and have it search for the link.

For the first one I found this: http://is.gd/mMEW

Cheers--

Charles

Duhh, forgot to include the article names :)
They were by Craig Webster:
Absolute basics: Connecting to ports
Concurrent socket programming
A more advanced port checker

---
Charles Johnson
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Vanderbilt University
(e-mail address removed)
Office: 615-343-2776
Cell: 615-478-8799

Kyle Schmitt

Sorry. I knew about the wayback machine, I was kindof hoping the
author had a new blog with all the old articles moved over.
Ahh well, guess I'll just use wbm.

--Kyle\

Aldric Giacomoni

For Ruby, are there any nice drag-and-drop-object-on-a-form development
tools, like Visual Studio for C# and such?

Phlip

Aldric said:
For Ruby, are there any nice drag-and-drop-object-on-a-form development
tools, like Visual Studio for C# and such?

Platforms like RubyTk & Shoes show how a Ruby DSL ("Domain-Specific Language")
can make coding GUI objects as Ruby declarations much easier than mouse abuse.

Phlip

Aldric said:
Forgive my ignorance of the subject; I barely know Shoes, only what I've
heard of it. Does it allow the creation of complex GUIs ? To be honest,
I'm very leery of text-based GUI creation because of widget placement -
I have no idea where it's gonna go, how big it's gonna be.. All this
right now means nothing in my head..

The feedback loop for GUI painting is...

- configure your editor to instantly display your GUI with one button
- make a tiny tweak
- view the GUI
- repeat until satisfied.

That's the same cycle as drag and drop; just without the drag.

You typically also get better geometry management. An HTML table can stretch to
fit more data because it declares relative positions, not absolute coordinates.

This is why a Google search for [ruby drag-n-drop] only returns 12,000 pages.
That would seem to suggest only tangential interest in drag-n-drop...

Phlip

Aldric said:
Forgive my ignorance of the subject; I barely know Shoes, only what I've
heard of it. Does it allow the creation of complex GUIs ? To be honest,
I'm very leery of text-based GUI creation because of widget placement -
I have no idea where it's gonna go, how big it's gonna be.. All this
right now means nothing in my head..

But try wxWidgets and wxRuby... (-:

Dave Chilson

Aldric said:
[...]

Well there is MacRuby/RubyCocoa. You get Interface Builder with that.
However you'd have to learn the Cocoa framework, how Ruby interacts
with it and it's Mac only.

Gregory Brown

Well there is MacRuby/RubyCocoa. You get Interface Builder with that.
However you'd have to learn the Cocoa framework, how Ruby interacts with it
and it's Mac only.

Another option is MonkeyBars, which is cross-platform so long as
Java/JRuby are an option.
You could use NetBeans or whatever else there, but you'd need to learn swing.

http://monkeybars.rubyforge.org/index.html

Phlip

Dave said:
Well there is MacRuby/RubyCocoa. You get Interface Builder with that.
However you'd have to learn the Cocoa framework, how Ruby interacts
with it and it's Mac only.

And one Brian Marick has a new book, probably at the printers now, about it. But
be warned - he tends to believe like I do about software engineering... (-: