Portable Python challenge - round 1

Perica Zivkovic

All,

Portable Python challenge - round 1 has started !

Answer one simple question and you can win 4GB USB fingerprint drive.

http://www.egistec.com/en/sensors/fingerprintUSB.aspx

Winner will be announced on the Portable Python project portal by the end of this month.

Keep pythoning !

Perica Zivkovic
http://www.PortablePython.com

Terry Reedy

All,

Portable Python challenge - round 1 has started !

Answer one simple question and you can win 4GB USB fingerprint
drive.

In exchange for name and email...

The question: "What is the exact date (day month and year) of the first
Portable Python release ?"
Winner will be announced on the Portable Python project portal by the
end of this month.

The idea of Python on a thumbstick is good. However, Distributing
quickly superseded Python 3.0, with its known problems, instead of much
improved 3.1 is, in my opinion, a disservice to the community.

And why 2.6.1 instead of 2.6.6 with perhaps a couple of hundred bugfixes?

Terry Reedy

when those versions of Portable Python were published, they were the
latest available versions of Python.

2.6.1: December 2008; 3.0.1: February 2009
Unfortunately I did not had time
to update them since the last release.

If you have not done any updates in about 20 months, why are you paying
people (with a sweepstakes ticket) for name and email?

And why put your effort into this instead of producing a much better
Python3 release? In spite of efforts otherwise, 3.0 (December 2008) had
some typical .0 problems. It was quickly (in 2 months) patched a bit and
them abandoned, with 3.1 release soon after (June 2009, without a 3.1.2,
as would have been usual) with the recommendation that everyone replace
3.0 with 3.1. Hence my opinion that promoting 3.0(.1) 18 months later is
a disservice. Anyone who tries it might get an incorrect bad impression
and will certainly not get the benefit of subsequent improvements.