Position:fixed hacks for Internet Explorer?

Eric Pinnell

What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed bug in Internet
Explorer? There are several sites listing solutions, but I'm not sure
which one I should use.

Eric Pinnell

(Author, "Claws of The Dragon", "The Omega File")

For a preview, see: http://www.ericpinnell.com and click on "books"

Spartanicus

Eric Pinnell said:
What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed bug in Internet
Explorer? There are several sites listing solutions, but I'm not sure
which one I should use.

The methods I've seen all suck, my browser natively supports
position:fixed, but it causes sluggish scrolling and it's a reason to
test my back function on sites that use it.

Steve R.

Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...
What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed
bug in Internet Explorer?

Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

Works every time :~)

DU

Steve said:
Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...

Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established and
widely supported. You can't be serious.
Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
with simple HTML and tables?
Works every time :~)

The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

DU

Steve R.

DU wrote in message ...
Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established

It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
*average* public use.
How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
with simple HTML and tables?

Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
within tables.
The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

The CSS ways also have problems (otherwise the OP wouldn't have posted),
and I certainly wouldn't agree with your use of the term *widely adopted*,
when you examine the source code of the majority of websites :~)

rf

Steve R. said:
DU wrote in message ...

It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
*average* public use.

Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
within tables.

You still have not specified how simple HTML and tables can simulate
position:fixed.

If you don't know, position: fixed fixes and element on the *viewport*. How
do you make a table do that?

Cheers
Richard.