    Eric Pinnell

    (Author, "Claws of The Dragon", "The Omega File")

    For a preview, see: http://www.ericpinnell.com and click on "books"

    Eric Pinnell, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Eric Pinnell

    Spartanicus Guest

    Eric Pinnell <see my web site> wrote:

    >What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed bug in Internet
    >Explorer? There are several sites listing solutions, but I'm not sure
    >which one I should use.

    The methods I've seen all suck, my browser natively supports
    position:fixed, but it causes sluggish scrolling and it's a reason to
    test my back function on sites that use it.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Eric Pinnell

    Steve R. Guest

    Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...
    > What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed
    > bug in Internet Explorer?

    Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

    Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

    Works every time :~)

    Steve R., Mar 7, 2004
  4. Eric Pinnell

    DU Guest

    Steve R. wrote:
    > Eric Pinnell wrote in message ...
    >
    >>What's the best way for me to fix the position:fixed
    >>bug in Internet Explorer?

    > Simplest way is not to use CSS at all.

    Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
    suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established and
    widely supported. You can't be serious.

    > Just use good ol' simple HTML and tables for positioning.

    How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
    with simple HTML and tables?

    > Works every time :~)

    The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
    weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

    DU

    DU, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Eric Pinnell

    Steve R. Guest

    DU wrote in message ...
    > Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
    > suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established

    It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
    *average* public use.

    > How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
    > with simple HTML and tables?

    Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
    within tables.

    > The old ways had (and still have) huge flaws, huge burdens and huge
    > weaknesses: that's why CSS was proposed, recommended and widely adopted.

    The CSS ways also have problems (otherwise the OP wouldn't have posted),
    and I certainly wouldn't agree with your use of the term *widely adopted*,
    when you examine the source code of the majority of websites :~)

    Steve R., Mar 7, 2004
  6. Eric Pinnell

    rf Guest

    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > DU wrote in message ...
    > > Just because 1 browser does not support 1 particular CSS property, you
    > > suggest to avoid a whole technology which is now widely established

    > It's not just *one* browser. It's *THE* browser that at least 90% of the
    > *average* public use.
    >
    > > How do you compensate the absence of support for position:fixed in MSIE
    > > with simple HTML and tables?

    > Using tables you can position *anything* very nicely by using the cells
    > within tables.

    You still have not specified how simple HTML and tables can simulate
    position:fixed.

    If you don't know, position: fixed fixes and element on the *viewport*. How
    do you make a table do that?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Mar 7, 2004