    johnmann56 Guest

    Hello all. I have a Web Service written with VS .NET that takes up to a minute to process WebMethod calls from a client, due to the Service accessing and searching a large XML file (King James Bible). I would like to have a Progress Bar in the Client to show how far along the Service's processing of the request is. Any ideas on how to implement this? Thanks in advance.
    John Mann

    johnmann56, Jun 17, 2004

  2. johnmann56

    Jan Tielens Guest

    I think you can only accomplish this if you split the long web service call
    into shorter (multiple) calls. Between each call you can update progress
    bar.

    If you only want to avaid blocking the user interface when the service is
    calles, you can run the call on a background thread. For more info see:
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/WinForms/WinFormsThreadMarshalling.aspx

    --
    Greetz
    Jan

    Jan Tielens, Jun 17, 2004

  3. johnmann56

    johnmann56 Guest

    Re: Possible to add a Progress Bar to a Client consuming a slow Se

    Hello Jan. Yes, I concluded you're right, there doesn't seem to be any way to communicate from the Service back to the Client any value that indicates how far along the Service WebMethod is.
    Thanks.
    John

    johnmann56, Jun 17, 2004