Possible to add a Progress Bar to a Client consuming a slow Servic

johnmann56

Hello all. I have a Web Service written with VS .NET that takes up to a minute to process WebMethod calls from a client, due to the Service accessing and searching a large XML file (King James Bible). I would like to have a Progress Bar in the Client to show how far along the Service's processing of the request is. Any ideas on how to implement this? Thanks in advance.
John Mann

Jan Tielens

I think you can only accomplish this if you split the long web service call
into shorter (multiple) calls. Between each call you can update progress
bar.

If you only want to avaid blocking the user interface when the service is
calles, you can run the call on a background thread. For more info see:
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/WinForms/WinFormsThreadMarshalling.aspx

--
Greetz
Jan

johnmann56 said:
Hello all. I have a Web Service written with VS .NET that takes up to a
minute to process WebMethod calls from a client, due to the Service
accessing and searching a large XML file (King James Bible). I would like to
have a Progress Bar in the Client to show how far along the Service's
processing of the request is. Any ideas on how to implement this? Thanks in
advance.

johnmann56

Hello Jan. Yes, I concluded you're right, there doesn't seem to be any way to communicate from the Service back to the Client any value that indicates how far along the Service WebMethod is.
Thanks.
John