    Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?
    Any other posting method I've tried fails and only posts in text.
    No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004

  2. While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    > Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be
    > accomplished?

    Can what be accomplished? Oh... hang on, it's in the subject line! Would it
    have really hurt to put it into the message body as well?

    > Any other posting method I've tried fails and only
    > posts in text.

    I have never yet been in a newsgroup where HTML posts are welcome. Plain ol'
    plain text is the order of the day. YMMV.

    > No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    Good. I'm pleased to hear it.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...
    >
    > > Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be
    > > accomplished?

    > Can what be accomplished? Oh... hang on, it's in the subject line! Would

    it
    > have really hurt to put it into the message body as well?
    >
    > > Any other posting method I've tried fails and only
    > > posts in text.

    > I have never yet been in a newsgroup where HTML posts are welcome. Plain

    ol'
    > plain text is the order of the day. YMMV.
    >
    > > No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    > Good. I'm pleased to hear it.

    I have no intention of posting html to text only groups.
    I just want to know if there are other news programs available that could
    handle posting html directly as OE does.
    That was one reason why I created alt.binaries.html.
    As a means to post samples of work to a dedicated newsgroup rather than to a
    website.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2004
  4. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?
    > Any other posting method I've tried fails and only posts in text.
    > No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    Oh no, he's back.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Richard

    C.W. Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:20:27 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >"nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >> While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...
    >>
    >> > Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be
    >> > accomplished?

    >> Can what be accomplished? Oh... hang on, it's in the subject line! Would

    >it
    >> have really hurt to put it into the message body as well?
    >>
    >> > Any other posting method I've tried fails and only
    >> > posts in text.

    >> I have never yet been in a newsgroup where HTML posts are welcome. Plain

    >ol'
    >> plain text is the order of the day. YMMV.
    >>
    >> > No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    >> Good. I'm pleased to hear it.
    >>

    >I have no intention of posting html to text only groups.

    Binary newsgroups can muck up/not handle the HTML also.

    >I just want to know if there are other news programs available that could
    >handle posting html directly as OE does.
    >That was one reason why I created alt.binaries.html.

    Would do better - in my opinion - to be using a set-up like Yahoo!
    Groups or such, where you can set the group to accepting attachments
    [which would be including HTML]. Newsgroups is just a different
    environment with how content is handled by the servers and various
    newsagents that people use. Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up
    would limit the user to email or using the site [browser].

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 2, 2004
  6. Richard

    Toby Inkster Guest

    C.W. wrote:

    > Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
    > using the site [browser].

    Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Richard

    Neal Guest

    RSS WAS Re: posting html pages to newsgroups

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:23:08 +0000, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    > C.W. wrote:
    >
    >> Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
    >> using the site [browser].

    > Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

    Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.

    Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how do
    people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over simply
    putting something on a webpage?

    Neal, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Re: RSS WAS Re: posting html pages to newsgroups

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:33:59 -0500, Neal <> wrote:

    > Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.
    >
    > Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how
    > do people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over
    > simply putting something on a webpage?

    If a webmaster develops and maintains an RSS Feed as a service, the
    advantage for the visitor would be that s/he gets notified of changes in
    the site and gets an indication (through header, description and even
    content) of what the update is all about.

    I see no advantage in having a feed from a SE for newsgroups as I think
    (a)they fall behind too far and (b)my newsreader is quite capable of
    dealing with newsgroups.
    I do see the advantage of the feeds of alistapart and stopdesign for
    example as they have no daily updates, but I would like to know if they
    publish new articles or items and I don't want to have to go in there
    every other day or so to find out if something happend. A feed brings the
    web to me. I like that.

    I serve some feeds myself (on general site updates, on my blog and on
    comments on general news) and although I have no idea if anyone actually
    subscribed to any of them, I think it might help some of my regular
    visitors if they want it to.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Richard

    C.W. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >C.W. wrote:
    >
    >> Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
    >> using the site [browser].

    >Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

    Only if the Yahoo Group allows the message archives to be open to the
    general public though. If the group owner sets their archives to
    members only setting or their group to private [invite only] then that
    leaves out RSS feed ability being a consideration.

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 3, 2004
  10. Richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:44:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?

    You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
    It saves others having to do it for you.

    Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
    do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
    to, what to use and why not to do it.

    Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?

    Andy Dingley, Dec 3, 2004
  11. Richard

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how do
    > people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over simply
    > putting something on a webpage?

    From a user's point of view, they don't have to use a web browser.

    Web browsers are fine for reading documents, but can be a pretty poor
    choice for other activities -- reading news headlines using an RSS reader
    is better, just like using a real e-mail client is better than webmail and
    using a real news client is better than using Google Groups.

    A user using a real e-mail client has access to any features that it
    provides, such as spell check, the ability to use mutliple accounts, GPG
    encryption, etc.

    A user using a real newsreader can use score files, has access to ROT13
    and can possibly customise the layout of the groups list, articles list
    and message display to their liking.

    Similarly with RSS the user can read headlines the way they want to read
    them -- perhaps displayed as a ticker along the bottom of their screen,
    perhaps displayed like a newsgroup (as Opera 7.5 does), perhaps they might
    integrate them into their own personal homepage using PHP...

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 3, 2004
  12. Richard

    Karl Core Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    >> Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?
    >> Any other posting method I've tried fails and only posts in text.
    >> No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

    > Oh no, he's back.

    Maybe for you. I happily have him plonkiferated.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Dec 3, 2004
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:44:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?

    > You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
    > It saves others having to do it for you.
    >
    > Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
    > do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
    > to, what to use and why not to do it.
    >

    > Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?

    What a dumbass you are.
    Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.
    So if I want to post an html work into a binary group, that is within the
    boundaries of the group.
    What you're saying is, if you have any vallid reason to drive a car, you
    would not need to take lessons and thusly be able to do it.
    A totally absurd presumption.

    Richard, Dec 3, 2004
  14. Richard wrote:
    > "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:44:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?

    >>You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
    >>It saves others having to do it for you.
    >>
    >>Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
    >>do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
    >>to, what to use and why not to do it.
    >>

    >>Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?
    >>

    > What a dumbass you are.
    > Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.

    Unless it's the alt.binaries.marvin.the.manic-depressive.newsgroup
    newsgroup, of course.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 3, 2004
  15. Richard

    C.W. Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:18:52 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >"Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:44:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?

    >> You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
    >> It saves others having to do it for you.
    >>
    >> Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
    >> do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
    >> to, what to use and why not to do it.
    >>

    >> Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?
    >>

    >What a dumbass you are.
    >Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.
    >So if I want to post an html work into a binary group, that is within the
    >boundaries of the group.

    Not in all binary groups and not across all environments peopel may be
    using to try to read your posting.

    Dont' have to take my word for it - try doing it yourself in some
    binary groups and see if anyone responds to a sentiment of "please
    don't post in HTML ..." and sharing the same reasons, in terms of
    handling, that is shared in non-binary groups.

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 4, 2004
  16. Re: RSS WAS Re: posting html pages to newsgroups

    Neal wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:23:08 +0000, Toby Inkster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> C.W. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
    >>> using the site [browser].

    >> Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

    > Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.
    >
    > Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how
    > do people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over
    > simply putting something on a webpage?

    Mozilla Thunderbird can handle RSS feeds. I have set up Slashdot.org to
    display RSS feeds on Thunderbird as if I was going through e-mail and
    newsgroups.

    Each feed displays as a full HTML page (if I have that option enabled)
    and I can choose to read or not, by reading their subjects.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Samuël ML Lison

    --
    DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
    Jobs Available: http://business.dreamcities.net/jobs.html

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=, Dec 4, 2004