posting html pages to newsgroups

Richard

Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?
Any other posting method I've tried fails and only posts in text.
No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be
accomplished?

Can what be accomplished? Oh... hang on, it's in the subject line! Would it
have really hurt to put it into the message body as well?
Any other posting method I've tried fails and only
posts in text.

I have never yet been in a newsgroup where HTML posts are welcome. Plain ol'
plain text is the order of the day. YMMV.
No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

Good. I'm pleased to hear it.

Cheers,
Nige

Richard

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

Can what be accomplished? Oh... hang on, it's in the subject line! Would it
have really hurt to put it into the message body as well?

I have never yet been in a newsgroup where HTML posts are welcome. Plain ol'
plain text is the order of the day. YMMV.

Good. I'm pleased to hear it.

I have no intention of posting html to text only groups.
I just want to know if there are other news programs available that could
handle posting html directly as OE does.
That was one reason why I created alt.binaries.html.
As a means to post samples of work to a dedicated newsgroup rather than to a
website.

Hywel Jenkins

Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?
Any other posting method I've tried fails and only posts in text.
No I am not buying some bloated program for this.

Oh no, he's back.

C.W.

I have no intention of posting html to text only groups.

Binary newsgroups can muck up/not handle the HTML also.
I just want to know if there are other news programs available that could
handle posting html directly as OE does.
That was one reason why I created alt.binaries.html.

Would do better - in my opinion - to be using a set-up like Yahoo!
Groups or such, where you can set the group to accepting attachments
[which would be including HTML]. Newsgroups is just a different
environment with how content is handled by the servers and various
newsagents that people use. Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up
would limit the user to email or using the site [browser].

Carol

Toby Inkster

C.W. said:
Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
using the site [browser].

Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

Neal

C.W. said:
Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
using the site [browser].

Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.

Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how do
people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over simply
putting something on a webpage?

Barbara de Zoete

Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.

Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how
do people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over
simply putting something on a webpage?

If a webmaster develops and maintains an RSS Feed as a service, the
advantage for the visitor would be that s/he gets notified of changes in
the site and gets an indication (through header, description and even
content) of what the update is all about.

I see no advantage in having a feed from a SE for newsgroups as I think
(a)they fall behind too far and (b)my newsreader is quite capable of
dealing with newsgroups.
I do see the advantage of the feeds of alistapart and stopdesign for
example as they have no daily updates, but I would like to know if they
publish new articles or items and I don't want to have to go in there
every other day or so to find out if something happend. A feed brings the
web to me. I like that.

I serve some feeds myself (on general site updates, on my blog and on
comments on general news) and although I have no idea if anyone actually
subscribed to any of them, I think it might help some of my regular
visitors if they want it to.

C.W.

C.W. said:
Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
using the site [browser].

Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

Only if the Yahoo Group allows the message archives to be open to the
general public though. If the group owner sets their archives to
members only setting or their group to private [invite only] then that
leaves out RSS feed ability being a consideration.

Carol

Andy Dingley

Outside of using OE for this purpose, how else can this be accomplished?

You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
It saves others having to do it for you.

Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
to, what to use and why not to do it.

Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?

Toby Inkster

Neal said:
Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how do
people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over simply
putting something on a webpage?

From a user's point of view, they don't have to use a web browser.

Web browsers are fine for reading documents, but can be a pretty poor
choice for other activities -- reading news headlines using an RSS reader
is better, just like using a real e-mail client is better than webmail and
using a real news client is better than using Google Groups.

A user using a real e-mail client has access to any features that it
provides, such as spell check, the ability to use mutliple accounts, GPG
encryption, etc.

A user using a real newsreader can use score files, has access to ROT13
and can possibly customise the layout of the groups list, articles list
and message display to their liking.

Similarly with RSS the user can read headlines the way they want to read
them -- perhaps displayed as a ticker along the bottom of their screen,
perhaps displayed like a newsgroup (as Opera 7.5 does), perhaps they might
integrate them into their own personal homepage using PHP...

Richard

Andy Dingley said:
You can break your own kneecaps with a baseball bat.
It saves others having to do it for you.

Put it this way - If you're relying on OE to do it, you just shouldn't
do it. If you had any real valid reason for doing this, you'd know how
to, what to use and why not to do it.

Now why aren't you still in the kf ? Did you morph ?

What a dumbass you are.
Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.
So if I want to post an html work into a binary group, that is within the
boundaries of the group.
What you're saying is, if you have any vallid reason to drive a car, you
would not need to take lessons and thusly be able to do it.
A totally absurd presumption.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Richard said:
What a dumbass you are.
Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.

Unless it's the alt.binaries.marvin.the.manic-depressive.newsgroup
newsgroup, of course.

Matthias

C.W.

What a dumbass you are.
Binary groups don't care what is posted to them.
So if I want to post an html work into a binary group, that is within the
boundaries of the group.

Not in all binary groups and not across all environments peopel may be
using to try to read your posting.

Dont' have to take my word for it - try doing it yourself in some
binary groups and see if anyone responds to a sentiment of "please
don't post in HTML ..." and sharing the same reasons, in terms of
handling, that is shared in non-binary groups.

Carol

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?=

Neal said:
C.W. said:
Whereas Yahoo Groups or similar set-up would limit the user to email or
using the site [browser].

Actually you can read Yahoogroups through their RSS feeds! :)

Let me ask, as I haven't figured this out yet.

Why would I want to read RSS feeds rather than visit a webpage, and how
do people generally go about it? What advantages does RSS have over
simply putting something on a webpage?

Mozilla Thunderbird can handle RSS feeds. I have set up Slashdot.org to
display RSS feeds on Thunderbird as if I was going through e-mail and
newsgroups.

Each feed displays as a full HTML page (if I have that option enabled)
and I can choose to read or not, by reading their subjects.

Yours Sincerely,
Samuël ML Lison