Potentially Javascript, Most Definitely Annoying.

ceedub.industries

Dear JS'rs,

I was just surfing around and decided to hit ebay from a page I was
currently looking at. After typing the URL in and the page had loaded,
I had changed my mind. Using Firefox 1.0.3, I tried to navigate
backwards with the browser arrow.

It didn't work.

I tried it a second time after closing and reloading to make sure my
mind wasn't slipping, and the same thing happened. Ebay apparently
cripples your history in a standard browser.

My question: Is this something that javascript can potentially do and,
if so, how? Bonus discussion would be: How god$%#ned annoying and/or
unethical is this practice?

Thanks,

-Christopher

McKirahan

Dear JS'rs,

I was just surfing around and decided to hit ebay from a page I was
currently looking at. After typing the URL in and the page had loaded,
I had changed my mind. Using Firefox 1.0.3, I tried to navigate
backwards with the browser arrow.

It didn't work.

I tried it a second time after closing and reloading to make sure my
mind wasn't slipping, and the same thing happened. Ebay apparently
cripples your history in a standard browser.

My question: Is this something that javascript can potentially do and,
if so, how? Bonus discussion would be: How god$%#ned annoying and/or
unethical is this practice?

Thanks,

-Christopher

No problem under Firefox 1.5 -- time to upgrade?

I visited http://www.google.com/
once there i typed in http://www.ebay.com
once there I hit the Back button and was taken bacl to Google.

bwucke

Dear JS'rs,

I tried to navigate backwards with the browser arrow.
It didn't work.
My question: Is this something that javascript can potentially do and,
if so, how? Bonus discussion would be: How god$%#ned annoying and/or
unethical is this practice?

Also possible with meta refresh. Hit back, load the forwarding page,
get immediately forwarded where you just came from. It might forward
you so fast you'll never see it.

Use the tiny down arrow next to the back button to access window
history and skip back two pages instead of clicking "back" to go one
page back as workaround.

Leaving connecting two such pages pointing at each other as an exercise
for -really- malicious JS'ers.