    Can anyone offer suggestions?
    Thanks
    Doug

    Doug Wells, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Doug Wells

    Jin Sun Guest

    This what I've done for the similar problem. Hope this may help.

    Go to you internet browser (e.g. IE), choose tools/internet
    options/connections, in LAN settings, check Proxy server and put proxy
    server name and port there. Set an enviromential variable
    HTTP_proxy="http://proxyservername:port". In ppm, type search * and wait for
    a while(be patient), it's going to return a list.

    Jin Sun, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Doug Wells

    Doug Wells Guest

    Jin Sun wrote:

    > This what I've done for the similar problem. Hope this may help.
    >
    > Go to you internet browser (e.g. IE), choose tools/internet
    > options/connections, in LAN settings, check Proxy server and put proxy
    > server name and port there. Set an enviromential variable
    > HTTP_proxy="http://proxyservername:port". In ppm, type search * and
    > wait for a while(be patient), it's going to return a list.
    >
    > "Doug Wells" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
    > > PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when
    > > I search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it
    > > could be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I
    > > turned it off and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file
    > > from CPAN, but have never loaded a module without PPM.
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer suggestions?
    > > Thanks
    > > Doug

    Thanks for the response. That didn't work for me, but I'll play around
    with that concept.
    Doug

    Doug Wells, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Doug Wells

    Ken Guest

    You can download ppms from activestate directly from:
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/

    After downloading a activestate ppm, unzip it then just run the ppd file
    through ppm:
    ppm c:/path/to/module-name.ppd

    The problem with this is that activestate does not have a ppm for
    XML::Simple. Don't worry, you can get it here:
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/XML-Simple.ppd

    Note that the above ppm is going to try pulling the module from the
    theoryx5 site, so if you have a firewall problem it may still fail. In
    that case, you can download the module from:
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/XML-Simple.tar.gz

    Then edit the XML-Simple.ppd file. Change this line:

    <CODEBASE HREF="http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/XML-Simple.tar.gz" />

    To this:

    <CODEBASE HREF="XML-Simple.tar.gz" />

    Then run the newly edited ppd file through ppm (making sure
    XML-Simple.tar.gz is the same directory as XML-Simple.ppd)

    - Ken

    Ken, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Doug Wells

    Sisyphus Guest

    Doug Wells wrote:
    > I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
    > PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
    > search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
    > be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
    > and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
    > never loaded a module without PPM.
    >
    > Can anyone offer suggestions?

    Ships as standard with ActiveState perl - which is probably why they
    don't have a ppm package for it.

    Anyway - if you're running AS perl, you already have XML-Simple.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Doug Wells

    Bob Walton Guest

    Doug Wells wrote:

    > I'm trying to get XML::Simple and I'm having trouble. I haven't used
    > PPM in a while, but I can't seem to get it to return a listing when I
    > search for XML (it just hangs there until I Ctrl-C). I assume it could
    > be a firewall issue (I have Windows XP firewall), but I turned it off
    > and it did the same thing. I tried getting the file from CPAN, but have
    > never loaded a module without PPM.
    >
    > Can anyone offer suggestions?
    > Thanks
    > Doug

    One common reason for PPM not working is if one upgraded from
    Perl 5.6.x to 5.8.x without first uninstalling and deleting all
    of 5.6.x. If you have done that, the easiest fix that I know if
    is to uninstall and completely delete 5.8.x and then reinstall
    5.8.x. As far as I know everything but PPM will work if you
    upgrade 5.6.x with 5.8.x without uninstalling.

    HTH.
    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Mar 21, 2005