Practical Extraction Recording Language

Michele Dondi

As someone who has been programming in perl for several years, I found
the site useful. It was simple and well organized and I picked up
several new tips to add to my "arsenal". Yeah, it may not be 100%
accurate, but perl is about getting the job done, not about splitting
hairs.

Huh?!? You're joking, aren't you?

Tell the truth: she's your girlfriend... eh?

Michele

Michele Dondi

I challenge anyone to cram so many fallacies into so few words!!! This

Well this is completely OT wrt not only the subject of this thread,
but even wrt Perl at all... however many years ago, in secondary
school, our biology teacher brought us to the lab where we saw a
couple of old, and I say *old* educational movies, probably from the
sixties. To give an idea we were studying invertebrates at that time,
I clearly remember that one of this movies was still classifying
bacteria amongst plantae.

Since the movies ended before the hour was complete, she began showing
slides more or less at random, mostly having nothing to do with
invertebrates. At a certain point a philogenetic tree of the genre
homo came out, and it could have been fine, had she only shown it
(although AFAIK it was a now outdated model of human evolution). But
she dared to add, as an explanation(?) her reading of the tags that we
could see ourselves. At a certain point she came out with "Here, you
see, we have HOMUS AFARENSIS".

Well, I'd say that this counts three errors in two words: (i) reading,
for there was clearly written "A. Afarensis", (ii) Latin, for it is
homo/hominis, not homus/homii, (iii) classification, in fact it/he
(she? - Remember "Lucy"?) is a member of the genre Australopithecus,
not Homo...
</TotallyOT>

Michele