pre-fill text fields in the pdf-document

uwe Gutsche

Hi all,

is it pssible to pre-fill some textfields in a pdf-document?
The current state is this:
The user can select some items from the local database und a lot of
additional options in a html-site of the local-web.
Than he can open a PDF-Formular, fill it out with the selectet items and
print it (then he bring it to the recipient, stupid!).
Now I will open the pdf-formular in the browser:
> parent.det.location.href = 'path/document.pdf'; <

It workes fine but I will pre-fill the relevant textfields so the users
must not make it by hand (with all typing error people can make).
eg.

< parent.det.document.pdf.textfild1.values='selected item_1'; <

I've tryed a lot of variants but I can't get an assecc of the textfields.
How can I get into the PDF ?
There are some preferences inside the pdf to make it possible ?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Uwe

Harlan Messinger

uwe said:
Hi all,

is it pssible to pre-fill some textfields in a pdf-document?

How PDFs work is not an HTML-related question.
The current state is this:
The user can select some items from the local database und a lot of
additional options in a html-site of the local-web.
Than he can open a PDF-Formular, fill it out with the selectet items and
print it (then he bring it to the recipient, stupid!). Now I will open
the pdf-formular in the browser:

It workes fine but I will pre-fill the relevant textfields so the users
must not make it by hand (with all typing error people can make).
eg.

< parent.det.document.pdf.textfild1.values='selected item_1'; <

This is a Javascript question, and Javascript does not have any built-in
means of accessing fields in a PDF, nor can it: Javascript only runs
while the page containing it is in the browser. Once the PDF is in your
browser, the Javascript is no longer running.

Raymond Schmit

[...]

No .... because HTML cannot have access *inside* a pdf document.

uwe Gutsche

Harlan said:
How PDFs work is not an HTML-related question.

This is a Javascript question, and Javascript does not have any
built-in means of accessing fields in a PDF, nor can it: Javascript
only runs while the page containing it is in the browser. Once the PDF
is in your browser, the Javascript is no longer running.
1) I've feared something like this, but I can see the "document.pdf" as
object in the html-object-browser of the firebug. I think this object
consists of subobjects (DOM) or is'nt it?

2) And I've a frameset, in the first (the navigation-frame) runs the
java-script and in the second (the detail-frame) is the pdf-doc loadet
So there is a java-script possible after the pdf ist loadet

Or is it better to redesign the whole pdf-doc at runtime??

Harlan Messinger

uwe said:
1) I've feared something like this, but I can see the "document.pdf" as
object in the html-object-browser of the firebug. I think this object
consists of subobjects (DOM) or is'nt it?

A file that your browser doesn't request before you click a link is not
a subobject of the page containing the link. If you were to embed a PDF
in your HTML page (I tried that a few years ago and it was a disaster; I
don't know if it works any better with today's Acrobat and today's
browsers) so that it was a subobject, that would be a different story.
2) And I've a frameset, in the first (the navigation-frame) runs the
java-script and in the second (the detail-frame) is the pdf-doc loadet
So there is a java-script possible after the pdf ist loadet

OK, with a frameset, that's different, since you have Javascript code
that is in your browser simultaneously with the PDF in another frame.

See http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/javascript.html. I have no idea
how extensive it is, I just found it by Googling { javascript pdf }.

Jan C. Faerber

is it pssible to pre-fill some textfields in a pdf-document?

http://www.cix-blog.de/AcroForm2-Dokumentation-2.0.6-656-2009.html
Your language.
The current state is this:
The user can select some items from the local database und a lot of
additional options in a html-site of the local-web.
Than he can open a PDF-Formular, fill it out with the selectet items and
print it (then he bring it to the recipient, stupid!).

Yes - https://www.fh-campuswien.ac.at/studium/bewerben/
At the moment this link is working.
In the next step you fill in a form to apply for the school.
When you have finished and submitted the form
you get an email which you have to sign and
you send it in an envelop with the photocopies of your
documents to the secretary of the school.

So you will need propably a kind of pdf generator.