Preloading content through javascript & server side controls

Dave Harrington

Hello all-

I have a question for you all.

I basically have a story or lesson, that is generated from an MS
Access database. The database contains columns for page (id) number,
text, an image url, and an audio file. I have a page called
Lesson.aspx that reads the current page in the database, loads the
text, image and plays the voice-over for that page. The user has the
option of going to the previous page, replay the current page, or go
to the next page.

The problem is that users on slower connections (and even faster ones)
must wait for the audio and images to download when going from page to
page. It takes away from the effectiveness of the story for there to
be a noticible pause between each page.

What I want to do is Preload the next page's files while the user is
looking at and listening to the current page.

I've seen javascript functions that preload images (for rollover
buttons especially), but can such a function make database queries as
well? How does javascript communicate with C# Code behind? And will
this preloaded content be discarded at any time, ie if a button is
clicked (and a postback is made).

There seems to be a lot more questions than answers on my end. I've
talked with somewhat of a mentor who told me he couldn't be of much
help, and furthermore, he didn't think what I'm trying to accomplish
is doable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Harrington
(e-mail address removed)