Preparing for Java Certification

Wood Yee

Hi! I've fooled around with Java in the past but I want to get
certified in it so I'm trying to get the basics down before I focus on
cert prep. I'm planning on starting from scratch and working my way
up. With this in mind, I have a few questions:

1. What's considered "The" book for beginners? IS there such a thing?
For example, in various areas there are certain books that are
considered "must have", such as in C it's K&R, in C++ it's the
Stroussup (sp?) book, for CCNA prep it's the Sybex book, etc., etc.,
and I'm wondering if there's a really good starting book.

2. After the beginner book, what's next? Certification prep books or
more language books? If so, which books? I'm trying to get an idea of
how I need to prepare and what to focus on before I take the test. I'm
also trying to get an idea of when in my learning of Java can I begin
preparing for the test.

Thanks in advanced!

bm

Have you ever taken a C++ course where you didn't know
anything before and by the end you could program and also
passed the test as well? ... Where you a guru C++ programmer
at the end? Yet they gave you a passing mark!!

Well don't beat around the bush. The Java Certification Exam
is a bunch of facts about the language that you have to memorize.
The wisdom of a guru Java programmer comes from years of
design decisions and building large applications and not from
Certification Exams. Just jump in to it and get it over with as
soon as you can. It is just a step, not the goal. Get this book
or its latest version.

Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide, 3rd Edition
from Sybex
published on Jul 2002

hope this truth helps you in your desicision.

Ant...

[...]

I used "Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide
(Exam 310-035 & 310-027)" by Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates and found it
very good.

Also check out www.javaranch.com - they have a forum dedicated to the
exam, and lots of links to practice exams etc.

These along with 4 years java programming experience got me 96%...