Preserve whitespace

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mike, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi,
    I am consuming a web service in my asp.net application. I added the
    web references in Visual Studio by pointing to a wsdl file. Visual
    Studio automatically creates the Reference.cs file and the code that
    is used to serialize the classes used in the server's service. I
    create an instance of the input variable, set my values, and pass it
    to a method. The class is serialized/deserialized for me into an XML
    string that is sent to the server. Pretty easy using Visual Studio.

    This is all great except that I want to preserve spaces that I pass to
    the web service. If I set a public variable in the input class to a
    space (" "), the space will be stripped out when the serialization
    takes place.

    How do I edit the Reference.cs file to change this behavior? Or, can
    this be defined in the wsdl file so that as I refresh my Web Reference
    in Visual Studio, I will not have to make the change each time. Is
    there a way to globally set preserve xml:space="preserve" for all of
    my input classes?

    Here is a chunk of my Reference.cs file and the code that actually
    makes the method call. (although I do not think you need this)
    Can someone show me how to alter it to make my resulting xml contain a
    xml:space="preserve" tag?
    Thanks,
    Mike

    //------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // <autogenerated>
    // This code was generated by a tool.
    // Runtime Version: 1.1.4322.573
    //
    // Changes to this file may cause incorrect behavior and will be
    lost if
    // the code is regenerated.
    // </autogenerated>
    //------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    //
    // This source code was auto-generated by Microsoft.VSDesigner,
    Version 1.1.4322.573.
    //
    namespace MHS.jacada {
    using System.Diagnostics;
    using System.Xml.Serialization;
    using System;
    using System.Web.Services.Protocols;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Web.Services;

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThroughAttribute()]
    [System.ComponentModel.DesignerCategoryAttribute("code")]
    [System.Web.Services.WebServiceBindingAttribute(Name="svcProvider",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public class svcProvider :
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol {

    public JIHeader JIHeaderValue;

    /// <remarks/>
    public svcProvider() {
    this.Url = "http://blah:8080/JIWSVC/services/svcProvider";
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
    Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
    ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Bare)]
    [return: System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("JIDebugResponse",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public string
    JIDebug([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("JIDebug",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    JIDebug JIDebug1) {
    object[] results = this.Invoke("JIDebug", new object[] {
    JIDebug1});
    return ((string)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public System.IAsyncResult BeginJIDebug(JIDebug JIDebug1,
    System.AsyncCallback callback, object asyncState) {
    return this.BeginInvoke("JIDebug", new object[] {
    JIDebug1}, callback, asyncState);
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public string EndJIDebug(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
    object[] results = this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);
    return ((string)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderAttribute("JIHeaderValue")]
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
    Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
    ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Bare)]
    [return: System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("imthExitSuccessOrLockResponse",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public imthExitSuccessOrLockResponse
    imthExitSuccessOrLock([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("imthExitSuccessOrLock",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    imthExitSuccessOrLock imthExitSuccessOrLock1) {
    object[] results = this.Invoke("imthExitSuccessOrLock",
    new object[] {
    imthExitSuccessOrLock1});
    return ((imthExitSuccessOrLockResponse)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public System.IAsyncResult
    BeginimthExitSuccessOrLock(imthExitSuccessOrLock
    imthExitSuccessOrLock1, System.AsyncCallback callback, object
    asyncState) {
    return this.BeginInvoke("imthExitSuccessOrLock", new
    object[] {
    imthExitSuccessOrLock1}, callback,
    asyncState);
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public imthExitSuccessOrLockResponse
    EndimthExitSuccessOrLock(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
    object[] results = this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);
    return ((imthExitSuccessOrLockResponse)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderAttribute("JIHeaderValue")]
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
    Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
    ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Bare)]
    [return: System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("imthTimeoutFailureResponse",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public imthTimeoutFailureResponse
    imthTimeoutFailure([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("imthTimeoutFailure",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    imthTimeoutFailure imthTimeoutFailure1) {
    object[] results = this.Invoke("imthTimeoutFailure", new
    object[] {
    imthTimeoutFailure1});
    return ((imthTimeoutFailureResponse)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public System.IAsyncResult
    BeginimthTimeoutFailure(imthTimeoutFailure imthTimeoutFailure1,
    System.AsyncCallback callback, object asyncState) {
    return this.BeginInvoke("imthTimeoutFailure", new object[]
    {
    imthTimeoutFailure1}, callback, asyncState);
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public imthTimeoutFailureResponse
    EndimthTimeoutFailure(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
    object[] results = this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);
    return ((imthTimeoutFailureResponse)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderAttribute("JIHeaderValue")]
    [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
    Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
    ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Bare)]
    [return: System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("mthAddINProviderResponse",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public mthAddINProviderResponse
    mthAddINProvider([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("mthAddINProvider",
    Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    mthAddINProvider mthAddINProvider1) {
    object[] results = this.Invoke("mthAddINProvider", new
    object[] {
    mthAddINProvider1});
    return ((mthAddINProviderResponse)(results[0]));
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public System.IAsyncResult
    BeginmthAddINProvider(mthAddINProvider mthAddINProvider1,
    System.AsyncCallback callback, object asyncState) {
    return this.BeginInvoke("mthAddINProvider", new object[] {
    mthAddINProvider1}, callback, asyncState);
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    public mthAddINProviderResponse
    EndmthAddINProvider(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
    object[] results = this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);
    return ((mthAddINProviderResponse)(results[0]));

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public class mthAddINProviderResponseOutVar_0MthAddINProvider_outputStatus
    {

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public string host_message;

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public string jacada_statuscode;
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public class mthAddINProviderInVar_0 {

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input
    mthAddINProvider_input;
    }

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="http://svcProvider.wsdlgen.provider.jacada.blah.com")]
    public class mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input {

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public string input_a;

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public string input_b;

    /// <remarks/>
    [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
    public string input_c;

    --------------- end of Reference.cs ------------------

    public string Add()
    {
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProvider input = new
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProvider();
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0 inVar = new
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0();
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input inVarInput =
    new MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input();
    // sure wish these spaces were preserved!
    inVarInput.input_a = " y ";
    inVarInput.input_a = " ";
    inVarInput.input_a = " ";
    inVar.mthAddINProvider_input = inVarInput;
    input.InVar_0 = inVar;
    MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderResponse output =
    jacadaService.mthAddINProvider( input );
    return output.OutVar_0.mthAddINProvider_output.Status.jacada_statuscode;
    }

    Mike, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Mike

    Guest Guest

> [...]
    > public string input_c;

    > --------------- end of Reference.cs ------------------
    >

    > public string Add()
    > {
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProvider input = new
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProvider();
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0 inVar = new
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0();
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input inVarInput =
    > new MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderInVar_0MthAddINProvider_input();
    > // sure wish these spaces were preserved!
    > inVarInput.input_a = " y ";
    > inVarInput.input_a = " ";
    > inVarInput.input_a = " ";
    > inVar.mthAddINProvider_input = inVarInput;
    > input.InVar_0 = inVar;
    > MHS.jacada.mthAddINProviderResponse output =
    > jacadaService.mthAddINProvider( input );
    > return output.OutVar_0.mthAddINProvider_output.Status.jacada_statuscode;

    I've the same problem

    User submitted from AEWNET (http://www.aewnet.com/)

    Guest, Apr 21, 2005