Preventing Content Clipping if Browser Window Shrinks Vertically?

Bergamot

rf said:
#mainnav li a
text-indent: -9999px;
}

#navhome a
{
background-image: url(/images/nav_home.gif);
width: 64px;
}

Gotta love those web dreziners.

FYI, that's an early Image Replacement method, one that is frowned upon
as being inaccessible because it fails when images aren't loaded.

Chaddy2222

rf wrote:
I have to wonder - now that someone in the company knows about this,
will there be any action taken to correct it?

<checks/>

Yes, Action has been taken. They have fixed it.

The menu is now images of text [1]. These do not resize so they never wrap.

The offending escaping text is now part of a flash movie so does not resize
and so can never escape from its box. <checks further/> Well, some of the
text anyway, they only fixed the "home" page. The rest resizes into white
space as before.

[1] took me a couple of minutes to figure out how they had done this. The
XHTML is quite ordinary:
So what your saying is: they broke it even more. You should now offer
them a nice amount of money for fixing the site.
<ul id="mainnav">

It's the CSS that does the trick:

#mainnav li a
text-indent: -9999px;

}

#navhome a
{
background-image: url(/images/nav_home.gif);
width: 64px;

}

Gotta love those web dreziners.
Yeah, point your mate to the following site. http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

Chaddy2222

So, I'm not quite sure what I started with my original post, but I am
still searching for some help. I took some suggestions and changed the
CSS so the content is no longer being clipped (overlayed) when the
browser window shrinks vertically. However, my footer div no longer
attaches to the absolute bottom of the page if the window is stretched
so the content div is more than the 700px I have specified. How do I
keep things as they are, but force the footer div to always stick to
the bottom of the page, even when the window is stretched vertically?

Thanks in advance.
The simple answer is NOT to use fixxed widths for things, unless you
have a really good reason and it does not break anything major, such
as text readability. Use em or % unit (otherwise known as relative"
units, mind some of my spelling. I have had one or two drinks.

savedumbo

On Jun 26, 5:51 am, (e-mail address removed) wrote:> So, I'm not quite sure what I started with my original post, but I am

The simple answer is NOT to use fixxed widths for things, unless you
have a really good reason and it does not break anything major, such
as text readability. Use em or % unit (otherwise known as relative"
units, mind some of my spelling. I have had one or two drinks.

How does changing fixed-width divs to relative-width divs help me?
This is a height issue, not width. I am just looking to have the
footer div attached to the bottom of the page when the page height
grows vertically. Why is this so difficult?

I have tried lots of changes, nothing has worked. Can anyone give me a
specific CSS change to try?

Chaddy2222

How does changing fixed-width divs to relative-width divs help me?
This is a height issue, not width. I am just looking to have the
footer div attached to the bottom of the page when the page height
grows vertically. Why is this so difficult?

I have tried lots of changes, nothing has worked. Can anyone give me a
specific CSS change to try?
Take a look at my main site, it should do what you want regarding the
footer with no CSS hacks.

savedumbo

Take a look at my main site, it should do what you want regarding the
footer with no CSS hacks.

I looked at your site and used some of your CSS (I use a very similar
page template format with divs) but I still can't get it working. The
footer div does not stick to the absolute bottom of the page. Can you
take a look at my CSS and let me know what I need to change to get
this working? Thanks!