Printing client side

VisionSet

I am tasked with adding some client side printing functionallity to a
web app. At present Jasper is used serverside to create a pdf which is
exported via jasper to the client. I think Jasper has its own servlet
code to do this. So I have a pdf opening on the client from a url
response. What is a good way to grab this url and print from it? I
guess I need to add an applet?

TIA,
Mike W

Oliver Wong

VisionSet said:
I am tasked with adding some client side printing functionallity to a
web app. At present Jasper is used serverside to create a pdf which is
exported via jasper to the client. I think Jasper has its own servlet
code to do this. So I have a pdf opening on the client from a url
response. What is a good way to grab this url and print from it? I
guess I need to add an applet?

When you send the PDF to the client, typically the client will start up
Adobe Acrobat Reader and load the PDF document into the reader. The reader
has built in printing functionality. Why can't you use this built in
functionality directly?

- Oliver

VisionSet

Oliver said:
When you send the PDF to the client, typically the client will start up
Adobe Acrobat Reader and load the PDF document into the reader. The reader
has built in printing functionality. Why can't you use this built in
functionality directly?

Because the client doesn't want to press the print button in the
browser and again in adobe.

Oliver Wong

VisionSet said:
Because the client doesn't want to press the print button in the
browser and again in adobe.

Could you use a psychological fix instead of a technical one? E.g.
rename the link from "print" to "printer friendly version"?

- Oliver

VisionSet

Oliver said:
Could you use a psychological fix instead of a technical one? E.g.
rename the link from "print" to "printer friendly version"?

No, I think it will have to be an applet solution?

Oliver Wong

VisionSet said:
No, I think it will have to be an applet solution?

I only see two ways of proceeding, both of which are difficult:

(1) Sign your applet. Do a screen capture, and use AI to determine where
on the screen (i.e. what pixel coordinates) Adobe Acrobat Reader is running
and where the print button is, and use Robot to generate a mouse click on
the Print button.

(2) Write your own PDF parser and viewer applet, and add printing
functionality.

- Oliver

VisionSet

Oliver said:
I only see two ways of proceeding, both of which are difficult:

(1) Sign your applet. Do a screen capture, and use AI to determine where
on the screen (i.e. what pixel coordinates) Adobe Acrobat Reader is running
and where the print button is, and use Robot to generate a mouse click on
the Print button.

(2) Write your own PDF parser and viewer applet, and add printing
functionality.

- Oliver

Well the applet can easily get the pdf from the url (applet parameter),
and Jasper I'm hoping can print pdf's.
Do you see anything I might have overlooked with this seemingly simple
solution?

Oliver Wong

VisionSet said:
Well the applet can easily get the pdf from the url (applet parameter),
and Jasper I'm hoping can print pdf's.
Do you see anything I might have overlooked with this seemingly simple
solution?

I thought Jasper could only export PDF, not import it as well.

- Oliver