Printing transparent images

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by noise, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. noise

    noise Guest

    I'm running against a brick wall. I'm writing some HTML in ASP.NET
    and JScript, in which I have a base image, and an overlay image, which
    I want to be 25% opaque. I only need be concerned about IE5.5 / 6 at
    this point.

    I can render this quite nicely on screen several ways-- using PNGs,
    GIFs, AlphaImageLoader filters, Alpha filters, IMG, SPAN, etc.
    Beautiful.

    The ugly part is when it gets to paper. I cannot get the overlay
    image to render anything but completely opaque. No matter what I do,
    it blots out the base image. It even shows up correctly in the "Print
    Preview" screen.

    Can anyone give me a few tips? Has anyone tried this? Is it a
    problem on my end (bad printer!), or a problem with IE (recognized by
    MSFT or otherwise)?

    I'm also open to other graphic formats, as I'm creating the overlay
    image on the fly, and it's a mere 1x1 pixel graphic, scaled up to the
    size I need.

    Alternately, are there any known ways to render semi-opaque images
    reliably on paper that don't necessarily work on screen? I can change
    my methodology when it comes time to print.

    Lastly, is there a better place to post this question, if this isn't
    good?

    Thanks for any advice!

    Paul
    object88 at yahoo dot com